Soap Opera Makes the Biggest Screw Up -- Ever

10/30/2008 1:49 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The following story is one of the worst mistakes ever made in television history -- involving stupidity, a major soap opera, and a 6-year-old boy who was kidnapped, raped and murdered back in 2007.

It's all over a photo that was used in a recent episode of the SOAPnet show "General Hospital: Night Shift" -- Billy Dee Williams' character received a letter and a picture from the son he abandoned. But the photo wasn't of another actor -- it was Christopher Barrios, the victim of that horrible tragedy we mentioned earlier in this post.

Members of Christopher's fam -- who never authorized the use of a photo -- were furious and told News4Jax.com they had no idea how the pic got on the show. The people at SOAPnet and their parent network ABC were just as stumped.

The network did, however, issue a statement apologizing and vowed to run a series of public service announcements in Christopher's honor to raise awareness of missing and exploited children -- thus putting an end to the most dramatic event in soap opera history.

Tam

So now you're displaying the picture? WTF??

ttyl

Yea right how was a mistake like this done?
The family of the victim needs to sue their asses!!!

WTF!!

Awe, you got this from CNN? old news.

tori

that little boy lived in my city, this really gets under my skin and pisses me off!! Our town had a really hard time dealing with Chris's kidnapping and murder and to see is picture flashed on tv for entertainment purposes sickens me!!!

Bootzy

Kinda of like another media company that likes showing pictures of murdered children.... over and over....at least they apologized......

I'm just saying.....

Atlanta

Isn't it ironic that you're showing the little boys' picture as you make comments about the Soap TV folks doing it? This would be a good time for you to take the high road and remove his picture.

Choppy McButtstink

NEWS4JAX.COM not NEWSJAX4.COM. Don't you people proof stories or is the editor the same guy who approved the spelling of TORRENCE,CA?

John

NewsJax4.com DOESN'T EXIST! IDIOTS WORK AT TMZ!!!!!!

Barfalufugus

Shame on General Hospital! Tacky, tacky, tacky!

Lulabelle

Yes, News4Jax.com not NewsJax4.com. Jacksonville, Florida Channel 4 News, The Local Station.

Lara

Someone from the show got the picture from somewhere! They should be held accountable. Oh and I agree that TMZ is doing the same thing by showing the picture.

two cents

You people are idiots. TMZ is NOT doing the same thing by showing the photo. They are telling a newstory. The soap opera portrayed that boy as a character. NOT the same thing.
Now, get off the internets before you hurts yourself. LMAO!!

As for the story, someone, somewhere knows who got that photo for the show. To exploit a dead boy for a storyline, without doing their research? Unforgivable. They probably thought if it was a picture of a dead boy, instead of an actor, they wouldn't have to pay to use it. Big mistake, this is going to cost them huge!

Diana Lara

WHAT'S MUST IMPORTANT RIGHT NOW IS "HAVE THEY EVER CAUGHT THE SICK F%CK WHO DID THIS"?

Mika

And yes, they did catch the perverts who did this. Surprise surprise, it was a registered sex offender (two, I think) living right by Christopher's bus stop, where he wasn't supposed to be. I remember the case when it happened.

me

I don't think it's in bad taste that TMZ is showing the photo. Like someone said above, the soap was showing him as a living character. TMZ is just showing his photo, and keeping his memory alive. If I were his parent I would appreciate it.

This is such a sweet photo of an innocent child. I cannot imagine how someone could possibly do this and I hope they all burn in hell.

What a sick world we live in.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments