Guitarist: Coldplay Cold-Jacked My Song

12/5/2008 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Some badass guitarist is suing Coldplay for allegedly ripping off his song -- and once you hear this guy's Cold-case, it's gonna blow your frickin' mind.

It's all over Coldplay's number one hit "Viva La Vida" -- Joe Satriani says "Viva" is way too similar to his 2004 instrumental, "If I Could Fly." Now, he's asking for "any and all profits" ... and given that "Vida" topped the chart in 36 countries, we could be talking about a lot of money.

Satriani has worked with everyone from Mick Jagger to Deep Purple.

A rep for Coldplay had no comment.

UPDATE
: The lawsuit was settled outside of court -- the terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

Barfalufugus

robert pattinson sucks monkey junk ... did you miss the post that explained that they changed guitar geek to badass guitarist?

dege

As a previous professional studio owner / engineer / producer, yes, it is similar, but I highly doubt any judgement will be made for Satriani -- otherwise every composer for every song that is based on a specific chord progression is in real trouble. 1-3-5 and 1-5-7 are used in a high percentage of songs yet we don't see lawsuits over them all.

Jesus not Jesus

'Guitar geek' is gone and 'some bad ass guitarist' replaces it. huh? Did that DUMB long-haired semi-blonde guy [who loves being on the tee-vee] and works for TMZ write the original story? Joe Satriani deserves better respect. Oh, and the tune, different, different, different. I guess you guys lost a lot when your CASH COW Britney Spears stopped her normal crazy act. Looks like they finally figured out how to program that talentless fembot.

laleslie

this happened with Coldplay before. Pathetic! Do they EVER write their own hits?

Dick Fitzwell

I JUST STOLE BOTH SONGS TO LISTEN TO THE DISPUTE AND I HAVE TO RULE IN FAVOR OF THE PLAINTIFF AND AWARD HIM ALL COLDPLAY'S PROFITS...HOWEVER, HE MUST ALSO GIVE COLDPLAYS GUITARISTS LESSONS FOR 1 YEAR AND LET THE GUYS IN AVENGED SEVENFOLD TOSS HIS SALAD IN EXCHANGE FOR THEM GETTING GUITAR LESSONS AS WELL!

softwhiteunderbelly

innocent!
but whoever said it sounds like every 80's song was right. its a cool progression hook that's based upon common musical vernacular. coldplay does it bigger (maybe not louder) than satriani ever did.

bwhitney

Wow. They stole that for sure. Satriani's is so much better too. It is obvious they rippied it off. I hope he gets every penny!

scissors

That's pretty funny, actually. Do I think that Chris Matthews listened to Joe Satriani's song and blatantly decided to rip it off. No, of course not. That notion is laughable. What I would be interested in learning more about is how the tune...or the suggestion of the tune found it's way into Coldplay's lap.

Either way, it's payday for Satriani. Perfect timing on his part...record sales for that particular album have already peaked and I'm sure are now declining somewhat.

As Homer Simpson would say: "DOH!"

kimothy

what did they just notice now that the songs sound alike?? not months and month ago when coldplays song first came out? come on.. give me a break

lvhy

i love how everyone is just jumping to conclusions about this. i bet half of you people haven't wrote music before. so let me see, is it possible to listen to every song in the world before you write one of your own to make sure that you didn't write two or three notes or pitches the same as another? and since one band is known and the guitarist not as known, automatically the more famous had to of copied off them. chris martin and crew more than likely have never listened to that particular song.

eat sh*t. everyone wants a piece of coldplay's money.

FIRETOI

Note for note they are not the same . Vanilla Ice got away with only changing one note in the 4 bar loop of Under Pressure . It will be interesting to see how it plays out though . I respect Coldplay more than Vanilla Ice , and Queen and David Bowie give Satriani a pretty good run for his cash...So I'll give it to Coldplay . Coldplay just wants to be Radiohead and should pay them for their existence anyway . I think the laws are pretty loose or else half of todays sample laden crap wouldn't be on the charts .

sean Ro

"Some badass guitarist" ????????? you don't know sxxt about music man ~ you can't even compare the living legend JS and those bozos from coldplay. this is 100% rip off I support JS all the way

Sincere

What an OBVIOUS ripoff and steal from Joe. Pay up Coldplay, PDQ!

reggie

# 7. Eddie Van Halen said it best, and yes Cold Play stole it.

Jerry Pae

TMZ would call Stevie Ray Vaughn a banjo picker. Freakin' MORONS.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments