"Top Chef" Judge Sued for Stiffing

12/13/2008 7:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

An ex-waitress at one of "Top Chef" judge Tom Colicchio's restaurants wants to haul him in front of a different kind of judge -- the kind that could get him to shell out money he allegedly didn't pay her.

Nessa Rapone filed a lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court, alleging Colicchio didn't pay out "minimum wages" and "overtime compensation" and also didn't pay her back for getting her uniform cleaned. She worked for Craftbar in Manhattan from March to May 2007, and also says she was fired when she yapped about her unfair treatment.

Tom says the lawsuit is "baseless."

topwaiter

I actually dined there when you where working, you asked me,"whats in a rum and coke?" you deserved to be 86'd

2051 days ago

The Dude

On this weeks MSNBC websites "pictures of the week" they show a picture of an awesome squirrel smackdown!

2051 days ago

Cathy

I really hate companies and employers who use the DISGRUNTLED X EMPLOYEE or fire ya when you point out their incorrect treatment

YOU GO GIRL.. nail him for all of us out there who get crapped on every single day by "user" employers!

PS To the person who left the comment about dining there when she worked there.. YOU'RE A FAKE ASS LIAR.

2051 days ago

The Work Bench

Topwaiter is obviously a fan of Top Chef hence his name and his ball licking of Tom Colicchio.

2051 days ago

barb

Here in NJ and other states, no server makes minimum wage. I got paid $2.13 per hour, never changed the 8 years I worked at the restaurant. Your tips make up the difference. A restaurant employer only has to provide the venue to make minimum wage, the tips are what get it to you, and much more. We NEVER go overtime pay because, again, you made that much more in tips. And I've never heard of a restaurant that gets your uniforms cleaned for you. Get a life or get another job!

2051 days ago

Chris

You make an interesting point Barbara. I don't think that's the case here in southern california. I'm no lawyer, but her case-- if what you say is true-- would be an interesting test case to make try to make that practice illegal through the judicial process. Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, but that's an interesting thought.

2050 days ago

Moe

Don't believe everything you read. My friend works for Craft and he said they play by the rules. He's never been cheated of his tips and believe it or not the restaurant does pay to clean their uniforms. I agree with the first guy: get a life or better yet, stop suing people and get a real job.

2049 days ago