Killer of "Most Wanted" Host's Son Identified

12/16/2008 2:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The tragic murder of a 6-year-old that lead John Walsh to host "America's Most Wanted" has finally been solved -- a mere 27 years after it happened.

Police in Hollywood, Florida are finally going to ID the scumbag who abducted and decapitated 6-year-old Adam Walsh in 1981. Police are expected to ID the killer as Ottis Toole, a convicted pedophile who died in prison in 1996.

Walsh began hosting "AMW" in 1988 -- a show which claims to have led to the capture of over 1,000 fugitives.

The killer will be officially announced at a press conference later today.

UPDATE: Walsh's publicist just told TMZ, "Evidence proves beyond a doubt that if Toole were alive today, he'd be charged and convicted of abducting and killing Adam."

mainstreetguy

As someone who has lived in South Florida for almost 30 years, and was involved in the original Adam Walsh Center efforts, I can state for a fact that John and his wife as well as Joe Matthews and many of the Hollywood PD were convinced from the start that Toole was the one. Sadly, Toole originally confessed then recanted, then confessed again and again, always recanting after the media would give him more notoriety. Hollywood PD did a hell of a job up against a perptrator who was much more manipulative than they understood. Some may think that this is a grandstand stunt to pin this on someone who is no longer alive, but that is clearly not the case; those on the inside always knew it was Toole they just didn't have the technology we have today to prove it.

Addie

NUMBER 3..You...ARE a moron.. I agree..
Thank God.. yes.. but closure? Never..
God Bless

P Mc

Finally some type of closure for a man who has brought justice to so many. Blessings to you and your family...as for :
G. Hall - how sad that the only attention you can get paid to you is through negativity. You're a knuckle dragging, mouth breathing Neanderthal and we all pray that you never breed for obvious reasons.

donna m in nj

My cousin Danny was abducted an murdered in Greenwood lake nj 1977 when i was 17 ,his killer has never been found.When i learned what had happened to little Adam my heart broke for the Walsh family. Adam and his smile will be in my heart forever.John Walsh is a hero, he took a horrible tragedy and turned the tables on the bad guys.He has made millions of people aware of child abductions and if not for John Walsh I wonder just how many more of our children would not be here today. Adam will live on in the hearts of millions of peoples, he will never be forgotten and neither will Mr.Walsh. A true American Hero. Closure ? There really is no such thing but I hope confirmation of the monster Mr.Walsh knew was Adam's killer brings him and his family some comfort.

herman

THANK GOD THAT THIS FAMILY CAN NOW REST IN PEACE KNOWING THAT THE KILLER AND KIDNAPER IS GONE AND NEVER HARM ANOTHER CHILD AS HE ROTS IN HELL.

Jennifer

I remember when this happened and it has affected the way I watch my own children (I was about 11 when I first heard about this).

As far as the insensitivity of some people on this list, the murder of Adam split their family apart resulting in John and his wife divorcing. It changed the Walsh family forever, making them better citizens and helping other victims. If he is in it for his own gain, well, its not all bad. He's helped put over 1000 criminals in jail putting thousands more victims and families at peace.

Carrys F.

This is the saddest story. I am glad the family will get closure in knowing for sure (they've publicly named O'Toole in the past) who killed their son. Nubmer 3 - you are a fool and a bad person.

HOGAN

COMMENT # 3 "YOU ARE AN A-HOLE...YOU COULD NOT POSSIBLY HAVE KIDS TO WRITE SOMETHING SO COLD AND HEARTLESS, THAT MAN HAS DONE ALOT FOR CHILDREN SIMPLY BECAUSE OF WHAT HAPPENED TO HIS OWN, AND IT WAS HORRIBLE, I LIVED IN FLA. AT THE TIME AND REMEMBER IT WELL. I CAN NOT EVEN IMAGINE HOW I WOULD FEEL TO LOSE A CHILD- SO HOPEFULLY YOU DO NOT HAVE THEM BECAUSE YO HAVE PROVEN YOU DO NOT CARE ABOUT THEM BY THAT STUPID COMMENT.

Paul

To the person who wrote so what (G Hall) I hope you are beat down like the little chicken you are. What happened to that little boy was very wrong and should never happen to any child. In my opinion the person who did that should have gone through a worse death. and anyone that can say so what to something like that needs to be disposed of. your opinion no longer matters to the rest of the world, so you should just turn off the lights and hide, because no one wants to hear from or see you again. As for the dilbert that thinks this report is for ratings? are you STUPID? I do not think any parent would do this for ratings.The Walsh family went through enough without dorks like you thinking that they care about ratings when it involved their son. and to John Walsh, I hope this helps you in your quest for closure, although knowing who did this terrible thing does not make it better, at least you know this one man is done doing this to other kids. Thank you for helping catch all the criminals that you have.

Lela

To the person that said SO WHAT. You must be a pedophile and murderer to actually take the time to make such a callous statement.

DeeDee

I am from Hollywood Florida and remember that day very well, in fact my daughter was working at Sears that day when Adam was abducted, it was total caos at the store. What a terrible tragedy it was but so happy to hear they may be able to finally have closure for the family. God Bless them.

Batman69

I'm glad to hear the Walsh's Pain and Suffering is Now over. The truth has been told and , Now the Healing can really Start for him and his family. #3 and #10 you guys are rejects and oviously have no kids and don't deserve any. A child is a Beautiful thing and we must Protect them as our Moms and Dads tried to protect us. Congrats John and I hope this finally brings you and your Family closer. Thanx for all that you've done for Our children.. Your there Hero..

Addie

NUMBER 3 LOOK AT ALL OF THE BAD COMMENTS DIRCTED YOUR WAY. NOT GOOD BUDDY. BETTER RETHINK..BAD LUCK FOR YOU... BAD KARMA TOO.. SHAME ON YOU!

YOUR MAMA

#3 & #10, YOU NEED SERIOUS HELP. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU TWO PEOPLE?!!! FOR ONE THING, CLEARLY YOU DON'T HAVE A HEART. YOU JUST MAYBE CHILD MOLESTERS YOURSELVES TO HAVE SAID SOMETHING LIKE WHAT YOU DID. HOPE THERE'S NO CHILDREN IN YOUR LIVES. GET HELP FOOLS.

JJ

To #3 & #10: I'll say real nice-like.....Go scavenge the bottom of the nearest like for fish poop. You'd make better use of yourself THAT way.