Peter Falk's Daughter: My Dad Has Alzheimer's

12/16/2008 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The daughter of Hollywood legend Peter Falk says her father is no longer competent to run his own life because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Catherine Falk filed legal papers in L.A. County Superior Court claiming her father "requires full-time custodial care for his health and safety."

In the docs, Catherine claims she is worried her father "can easily be deceived into transferring away property" and believes a conservatorship will protect Peter from "fraud or undue influence."

A hearing on the matter is set for next month. Calls to Falk's reps were not returned.

Joanne

I am so sorry to hear about him.Years ago I would watch Columbo with my Dad. He has given the world
the world of laughter, compassion.
God bless you and your family

Wendy

I thought Peter Falk was married to Shera Danese since 1977. She should be the one in charge of his affairs if they're still married.

ALEX!~

This is So Very Sad!! I LOVED Peter Falk as Columbo but I Really Loved and Laughed so hard in the Original, "The In-Laws" with Alan Arkin; what a Kick!!!

Gail

I am so saddened to hear of his illness. Peter Falk is a brilliant actor and I never tire of watching the Columbo reruns. It's comforting to know he has family to take care of him through this time. God bless.

Brendolyn

This is really sad news. Peter Falk has spent his lifetime brilliantly entertaining people. Alzheimers is such an insidious, cruel disease. My heart goes out to Peter and his entire family.

oldpreacher

Peter Falk has been one of those iconic actors who will be remembered for years beyond the day he has stopped acting. My faher died after thriteen years suffering from all of the evil that comes with alzheimers. Catherine Falk is doing a good thing. My dad had four children who continued to love him and never stopped talking to him as though his brain was still functioning as before. Our mother walked twelve miles total each day for the last six years of his life because he was in a nursing home and she did not drive. My dad suffered separation from those he loved and loved him because of the lack of money for in home care. My prayer is the Catherine Falk will not allow for him to waste away separated from his family. I am not a scientist but I believe that even with the jumble in his brain Dad knew us.

Optichick

I just love Peter Falk, not only did I enjoy him in Coloumbo, but he is a wonderful artist (painter and sketches) as well, God bless he and his family. I'm so saddened to hear this, he's such an interesting, nice and talented person.

GracieMae

My hears goes out to the Falk family. My mom just passed away with Dementia in July. It's a sad thing to see.

Julie

So sad, my father also has Alzheimer's and its a very sad disease. God bless him and his family.

Barb

How sad, my dad always loved Columbo. I just went through this with my mom who recently passed away from dementia, my prayers to the family.

Wesley A. Mulligan Jr.

Catherine: My heart goes out to my dear I too lost my father to the same disease it took 5 yrs. before he past away It was so hard to see him slowly slip away , He wouldn't eat much and it was hard for the nurses to get him to eat. My oldest uncle had it too and he went not long after my dad did now I'm the oldest son in the family and I worry that it can get me too you see my grandmother past back in the mid 60's of the same thing so it runs in the Mulligan family I have had a major head injury back in 68 and take medicine for seizures but now that I'm 60 yrs. old it could hit me anytime and I don't want to go that way. sincerely yours Wes. MulliganJr.

Mariah

#23

Typical. Can't get through a TMZ thread without some snarky mean post. Yes, that is what we come here for when the topic is snarky. Alzheimer's is not an avenue to joke around in. And I was wondering how long it was going to take before someone also made a flippant remark about the long known and long reported fact that he is monocular. Grow up.

ANGEL

OH HOW SAD I LOVE PETER FALK.MY HEART GOES OUT TO HIM AND FAMILY GOD BLESS THEM ALL.

Been there done that

My heart goes out to you Catherine Falk. The important thing now is to see that you take care of yourself while you help your Dad fight this loosing battle. Just remember, don't let that awful Alzheimers get anything for free. Like I said it is a loosing battle but worth the fight. My best wishes to you and your family. The Alzheimers Association is your fiend in need and a friend indeed. Hope you will seek out their help if anything for you.

Dad had it too

I only hope she really does have his best interest at heart. My own brother took advantage of my father until I was able to take things over and honestly protact what my father had wokred all of his life for. As soon as my brother realized he couldn't get any more money from my dad, he stopped coming around. Didn't even attend the funeral.