Peter Falk's Daughter: My Dad Has Alzheimer's

12/16/2008 12:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The daughter of Hollywood legend Peter Falk says her father is no longer competent to run his own life because he suffers from Alzheimer's disease and dementia.

Catherine Falk filed legal papers in L.A. County Superior Court claiming her father "requires full-time custodial care for his health and safety."

In the docs, Catherine claims she is worried her father "can easily be deceived into transferring away property" and believes a conservatorship will protect Peter from "fraud or undue influence."

A hearing on the matter is set for next month. Calls to Falk's reps were not returned.

ioso

My heart aches for Mr. Falk and every other victim of this horrific disease...

Kathleen

To snotsie: The headline says he is 81.

Joanne

That is really sad. I also enjoy watching the reruns of "Columbo." I am glad Peter has such a wonderful daughter who is looking out for his best interests.. There must be a good reason why his "wife' is not the one in charge of him.. Maybe she died or he is divorced from her... Just my thoughts...

RRbrtKlly

#9 The article says he is 81 years old. God Bless him and his daughter. My father in law had Alzheimers and it took a tremendous toll on him and the rest of the family. And there were 8 kids and 15 grandchildren helping.

lmao

#14-
i share your concern regarding a conservatorship. however, i have had personal experience with this disease and know what it does to its victims. hopefully, peter's daughter and advisors are honorable people. peter faulk, you are one of the very best.

Linda

As the daughter of a dementia victim I can only sympathize with his daughter. This is a horrible disease and sadly only will get worse. With all the advances in medicine it's disheartening there is no cure for dementia, not even a ways to stop it from progressing. I wish only the best for Peter and his daughter.

Caregiver +

Catherine,
Please remember, wnat ever your Dad's behavior is or will become, He will not be your Father anymore. I care for and do activities that are very progressive with people like your father. I see how very hard it is for their families. It is even hard for those of us that care and see the progression, and how it robs the person of indepence, physicasl and mental. We lose friends everyday. Please talk to the right people, go to support groups, get information. So many of you are out there. It can be a sort of torture if you don't understand the disease. Humor also helps a lot.

Good luck Catherine, remember the nature of the disease is such that your Father is not suffering, he is probably no longer there.

Melanie

I lost my beloved grandfather November 27 to Pick's Disease, which is a rare form of dementia which affects only the temporofrontal lobes of the brain. My mother took sole care of Papa for the last three years of his life and it was so horrible to watch him go slowly downhill, knowing there's nothing you can do to cure it, not even stop the progression. I wish only the best for Peter and hopefully his daughter is an honorable person and will make sure he gets the finest care. We're thinking of you Peter

Gulf Filly

Am deeply saddened to learn this news. Have had the pleasure and privilege of knowing Peter; a brilliant actor and a prince of a guy. Will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Mary Ann

Peter Falk was born on September 16 1927. Was Married to Alyce Mayo on 4/17/1960, adopted two daughters Catherine and Jackie. They were divorced in 1976 and on December 3 1977 Married Actress Shera Danese.

Lynn

I wish only the best for Peter and his daughter. I hope she takes good care of him and make sure he receives only the best. I lost my dad to dementia. If anyone has lost a loved one to this horrible disease please contact me at testeemom@aol.com. I could sure use someone to talk to who has experienced this firsthand.

joel Weinberg

Go rent 'The Brinks Job' to see how Natural & Great this guy is !!

manderly

This is such sad news. Peter Falk has and will always be one of my alltime favorite actors. He always seemed like a genuinely kind person with enormous talent. I feel for his family -- a man so full of life taken by such a horrible disease. God Bless them all.

Mike

He played a great role in the movie "Pocket Full of Miracles" with Bette Davis and Glen Ford. Hope he doesn't suffer a long time.

Leslie

Peter Falk has always been and will always be one of my most beloved actors. It is truly inconceivable that this warm, fuzzy character is so lost to all of us. Let us honor him by remembering him with great fondness as he was as well as how he has become in his declining years. His great character, Columbo and all of the other roles he played throughout a wonderful career will forever be with us. May G-d bless Peter and all of his family.