"Beetlejuice" Actor's House Burns

12/23/2008 6:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Glenn Shadix -- who played "Otho" the decorator in "Beetlejuice" -- watched a fire tear through his Alabama home, if you couldn't tell by the devastated look on his face.

Glenn left his house (intact) on December 13, and when he returned at around 11:00 AM, it was engulfed in flames, according to the Western Tribune.

Glenn bought the home -- built in 1886 -- a year ago when he moved back to Bessemer, Alabama, his hometown. The Trib reports Shadix repeatedly told firefighters, "I've lost my dream."

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

kookarella

man he was great in Heathers Too!

Wow

Poor man! And just before Christmas, too!

tarded

poor guy- what a beautiful house. i hope it gets rebuilt.

Jane

I live in an area that was devastated by Hurricane Ike. The poor man has just the same expression on his face as most the residents here right after the storm. It is kind of like shock and awe. In addition to losing sentimental things he cannot replace, he must have really loved that historical home from the comment he made about losing his dream. To "he knows how to emote" it is plain you have no idea what it is like to have something like that happen to you and I can't fully explain it myself since I was one of the lucky ones. But I do know one thing, after seeing the effect of losing your home on friends and relatives, I would not wish it on my worst enemy.

The Observer

"Deliver me from LL Bean..."

Vernon Scott

Glenn, so sorry to hear. All your friends at Moorpark in L.A. are pulling for you and you're in our thoughts sweet man.

boredshitless@work

Poor guy. That look on his face really got to me.
What's up with all this bad news before X-mas? Terrible.

northern gypsy

i respect people who are trying to save our historic homes...the look on his face...say's it all...G.S. i know you don't think so right now...but...you will recover from this...sending positive vibes your way...

LonelyCrow

OMG. I'm so sorry that he lost his beautiful house. How awful. I know how he feels, my family lost our house to fire in 1992 and we lost so many family treasures and my uncle almost burned to death that morning. Thank God Mr. Shadix was not in the house at the time it caught on fire.

Please do not jump to conclusions that he set his own house on fire. How would you feel if your own house caught on fire and everyone said you set it because of the bad economy? Grow up,

Jeanna

He is not an out of work actor. He does voice overs all the time. I grew up in Bessemer, too, and his home was not too far from the old Victorian my husband and I started out in when we married. There some beautiful old homes in this town and I am sure he was quite proud of it and is truly devestated over its loss. I have never met him (I still live in the area) but I wish him the best.

Tina

I was looking at his website and u could see how proud he was of his home this is sooo sad:(

Octowelfaremom

Yeah, baby!!!!!!!

hypocrisy at it's finest

Anthony

Do you think beetlejuice might have lit the match?

2051 days ago

Linda

Sadly, he passed away this year, from a head injury due to a fall.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2