Johnny Cakes Is Dead

12/25/2008 4:05 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

John Costelloe -- who played Johnny Cakes during a brief run on "The Sopranos" -- killed himself last week.

According to the New York Post, Costelloe shot himself in the head in his basement bedroom on December 16.

Costelloe, a former N.Y.C. firefighter, played a cook on "The Sopranos" who had a brief homosexual affair with Vito Spatafore.

Joseph Gannascoli, who played Spatafore, told the Post, "I was shocked when I heard, and it still hasn't really sunk in ... I never detected anything troubling about him. I enjoyed all the time I ever spent with him."

firebaby

i never watched the sopranos (shocking, i know!), but its always a bit sad to hear when someone takes their own life... prayers for his family...
R.I.P

Sandy

So very sad. He was a good actor among one of his qualities. My heart goes out to his family, friends etc.

Leno sucks, Conan rocks

I farted.

MG

You guys couldn't find a better picture of the man? Lazy or what?

wayne dh

PERHAPS RICK WARREN WILL PERFORM HIS MEMORIAL SERVICE BEING HE PLAYED A GAY TELEVISION CHARACTER.

FLTom

Costelloe was a standout actor who carried off a tricky part in the Sopranos. Though I never honestly bought it that the highly testosteroned pair, Costelloe and Gannascoli, were really gay, they elicited sympathy (a core acting task) with the soulful portrayal both gave to the dilemmas gays face in life and love. My condolences to Mr. Costelloe's family.

biglou

REST EASY MR COSTELLOE, LIFE HAS MANY TURNS.

Brian Leyba

How sad to die on Christmas....... I guess he's not gonna open his presents, Can I have them??

jenny

ugh, what a bummer!

Mary Worth

A couple yrs ago, a talk show featured a young woman who almost succeeded at committing suicide. She reported that she went "to the other side" where she was "amongst spirits who had succeeded". She stated that these spirits were each walking in enless circles, engrossed in themselves; not even aware of others.

Than a beam of light came upon her, she continued. A voice asked her if this was the way she wanted to spend eternity.
(Very hard to comprehend, at least for me.) She seemed to be totally honest in her reporting.

The young lady is now working at preventing suicides.

Kid Dyn-O-Mite

Sad story but apparently this actor was type cast; he was only offered roles in "Zorro the Gay Blade: The Musical" and a role in the new Mafia spoof as a gay hitman called The Blowpranos.

Mary

#3 (Mik) - Let me guess...you are a right wing Republican with an IQ of

Mary

less than 80. What do you have to contribute to a discussion about suicide?

Aunt Esther

Sad news about Mr. Costelloe. I'm sorry he felt compelled to take his life.
Too bad someone had to be disrespectful by inserting an ignorant kneejerk comment about Rick Warren, though.

1937 days ago

Bill Cosby

@ #6, "You never believed the highly testosteroned pair were really gay"? Are you kidding? Walk through a gay neighborhood once in a while. Mostly you'll see homosexual couples that are built bigger than Mr. Atlas. When will the masses learn? The more "manly" a man is, the more of a turn on it is for a gay man. After all, they LOVE men! Not all gays are effeminate, prancing queens. Those are just the ones they show on TV because they are cute and cuddly to Middle America. In reality, for gays, the more "man" the better. Hence the term "homosexual". And just to stop and fools from wasting time typing... I am completely straight and yet I know this. It's not hard to figure out if you just take a look around.

1937 days ago