John Travolta's Son Dies

1/3/2009 10:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Rand Memorial Hospital in the Bahamas tells TMZ the son of John Travolta died today.

We're told 16-year-old Jett was vacationing with Travolta and wife Kelly Preston.

There have been reports that Jett was autistic, though Travolta has denied it, saying he suffers from Kawasaki Syndrome, a condition which often leads to heart disease.

UPDATE 5:15 PM ET -- Police just released more details. According to a report, Jett was last seen going into the bathroom at their private suite at the Old Bahama Bay Resort sometime yesterday. The body was discovered by the caretaker, Jeff Michael Kathrein (pictured bottom right with Travolta in 2006), at 10:00 AM today. The report says Jett suffered from seizures.

An autopsy is being performed to determine the exact cause of death.

UPDATE 4:54 PM ET -- A police spokeswoman says Jett hit his head in a bathtub.

UPDATE: 4:40 PM ET -- Restview Memorial Mortuary and Crematorium in the Bahamas tells TMZ Jett's body would be transferred there on Monday.

UPDATE: 4:00 PM ET -- Travolta's attorney Michael Ossi says Jett suffered a seizure at his family's vacation home at the Old Bahama Bay Hotel on Grand Bahama Island. Attempts to revive him were unsuccessful and he died on scene.

Robert Gidel, president of Ginn Properties (which owns the Old Bahama Bay Hotel), tells TMZ, "The Travolta family has become like family to us at Old Bahama Bay and we extend our deepest sympathies to them."

2020 COMMENTS

James

I hope he was a Christian

Renee

Oh my goodness!! My heart goes out to that family. I hope the media will back away and give this family the time they need. The media is usually awful about doing so. Leave them alone!

Terry

I have always respected that John and his wife Kelly kept their family pretty protected and grounded,
I never thought it was my business what his son's disability may have been, What ever it was they as a family dealt with it as any good loving parents would.
I know they will deal with his passing in the same manner which I will respect.
God Bless you in this time Travolta family.

S

this cant be true...TMZ is the only source on the web saying this!

Jake

Im sorry for there loss but they would never take that kid in public like they were ashamed of him because they are scientologists.

ButterflyGirl

What a terrible thing to happen to a family. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Solaera

Wow. #22 you are aptly named...the item says the news was released by Rand Memorial Hospital. It is not Scientologists who eschew doctors and hospitals it is the Christian Scientists. Big difference.

Terie

Thoughts and prayers to all the family.

IsaBella

Sorry to hear about this. Death always leaves us in sadness, does not matter who the deceased is.
I have empathy for the family.

No, Kawasaki does not often lead to heart disease. Wrong TMZ, only when untreated.
Do some research first please. The internet has made this so easy:
Overall, life-threatening complications resulting from therapy for Kawasaki disease are exceedingly rare, especially compared with the risk of non-treatment. (source: wikipedia).
Then again, the scientololos aren't about treatment, are they?

Steve

Wow, you mean Scientology couldn't cure him of whatever disease he had? He must not have been a Theta Clear...And the Bahamas is tough on famous peoples kids...isn't that where Anna Nicole's son died?

swtflirt

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, regardless of how people feel about someone (celebrity or not) there is no reason to not express your condolences at the passing of family.

jo

John loves to fly his airplane thus why they named there only son Jett. How sad God Bless the entire family.R.I.P

Bex

Some reports are saying he drowned.....

Mary Lou

Oh John, and Kelly, how could mere words console you? My heart is aching for you all...
I believe in Jesus Christ the son, and God the Father and I pray they will watch over all of you and bless your son, Jett...may he rest in peace.
God bless and love you all...
You will be prayed for daily...

Curt