John Travolta's Son: Meds Ultimately Didn't Work

1/5/2009 5:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned more about the medical condition of John Travolta's son, Jett, and the medication that ultimately didn't work.

We're now told the grand mal seizures Jett suffered were "frequent and extremely serious." Travolta's lawyers, Michael Ossi and Michael McDermott, tell us "each seizure was like a death," with Jett losing consciousness and convulsing.

We now know Jett was taking a drug called Depakote, a strong anti-seizure medication. There have been reports Travolta refused to give his son anti-seizure meds because of Scientology but those stories are not true.

Jett had been having seizures on an average of every four days, until he started taking Depakote. Ossi and McDermott say the drug initially worked, reducing the frequency to approximately once every three weeks.

Jett took Depakote for "several years," but it eventually lost its effectiveness, according to Ossi and McDermott. They say the Travoltas were concerned about possible physical damage. And, Jett went back to having around one seizure a week. So Travolta and Preston, after consulting neurosurgeons, stopped administering the drug. No one is suggesting withdrawal of the medicine in any way caused the fatal episode.

CuriousInCa

Wow people... judge not lest ye be judged... unfortunately sometimes stuff just happens...with no rhyme or reason. When I was 16 there were many days that my parents did not see me for 11 hours at a time, esp overnight since I liked to stay up late and sleep in. How many teen aged kids would be able to deal with the amount of monitoring that appeared to be going on here??? It seems like they did everything they could to ensure their childs' safety. Some of you sound like you think they have plotted this out...really?!! This is such a sad situation and my heart goes out to this family.

xenubarb

It is reported that Jett Travolta was subjected to Scientology's "Purification Rundown." This quack therapy involves toxic levels of vitamins such as niacin, which can cause permanent liver damage. It is a dangerous and unscientific program based on the droolings of a pulp fiction writer and college dropout.

You can read about it here:

It's sad when parents choose to believe an ignorant con man rather than qualified medical professionals. This 'purification' program surely did not benefit this boy, and probably added to his health problems.

Torietee

This drip , drip of information from the Travolta camp is making me uncomfortable. It
seems that the camp is trying to manage the media and is inolved in damage control. Why is TMZ allowing the Travolta lawyers to feed them information and print it as fact? What happened to journalism? TMZ are you on the Travolta's payroll now? I just don't feel that TMZ is being objective in running this story. It's like they are doing the PR for the family.

Jen

My husband is on seizure medications due to brain cancer. We have done loads of research, and it can take awhile for a person to find the medication/dosage that is most effective for him or her. Everyone is different. What we do know, is that it is extremely dangerous to stop taking seizure medicine altogether once it has been started.

BARACK THE VOTE

His ATTORNEYS said... They're already trying to cover up... AND BLAMING MEDICATION/MAKING IT SEEM LIKE IT'S THE MEDICATION'S FAULT! That's insanity...

SCIENTOLOGY KILLS

SCIENTOLOGY KILLS

Let's get that straight...

Um Hello???

hmmmm Just Askin' If you see me posting on more than one issue, and you're posting TO me in these same places... that means.... that you are posting in multiple places as well! Well how about that! So perhaps you should ask yourself the same immature, irrelevant questions that you asked me :)

2067 days ago

Wow, LOOK at all the RACISTS...

Torietee, uhh where have YOU been??? TMZ's staff are NOT journalists, their opinionated people who hunt negative information. Real Journalist's have a certain set of integrity and principles to follow. TMZ staffers are sh*t talking people who prey and invade other people's lives... Just thought I'd inform you. I know as a Journalist it's quite disappointing to me too.

DallasB

Well, sounds like they tried meds..that's a good sign..I like John Travolta..hard to believe he wouldn't do everything he could for his son..and I am sure he did...There are several seizure medications though..I work in neurology...see patients that have grand mals all the time...I hope they didn't just try one med and that was it!! There are a few out there...and sometimes you have to change the dosage...some meds such as the one you listed...are primarily for another diagnosis but can help relieve seizures as a side effect..so that is plausible....the only question I would have...is if they tried more than one med for his seizures...and tried different doages before throwing in the towel...I'm sure they would counter that their son's liver detoriation was the reason they stopped..that could be true...but usually that doesn't happen overnight. So there are questions..either way...very sad situation and I send them condolescences...

Dixie

17. thruth is they are relieved!!!!! now they don't ahve to deal with the HELL of severe autism, they needed 2 grown men to amnage the beast..sorry but thta is what autisn becomes,,no human behivors just aniamlitist behaviors..a monstor..
now than goodness it is over...RIP....stop with the paraers travoltas don't believe in Chritian prayer

Posted at 12:58PM on Jan 4th 2009 by travis

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Wow Sherlock Holmes! You have it all figured it out don't you? You are a pathetic piece of sh*t talking about a dead kid that way. I hope you don't have any kid's because if you do it's very clear that they are doomed to have a parent like you.
By the way...if you can't spell words correctly then dont bother posting here at all. My guess is you only made it to the 3rd grade.

Lord Almighty

It's not being hypocritical to want to be the voice of reason in a sea of crazy, unfounded accusations. I don't read this site very often because I'm not that into celebrities, but I have always liked John Travolta, and I'm sad for him, so I'm interested in this story.

And to the person who said I'm no better than you people who wish to tear these people down, well maybe I'm not. I'm not the one filling up this comments section with my holier than thou advice for how the Travoltas should have cared for their son or vitriol for their religious beliefs though. My comment wasn't based on my own opinions or conjecture - it was based on what some of you people were actually saying. It's here in black and white. Maybe you're not all "failures," but you're sure proving yourselves to be miserable people, and that you like wallowing in other peoples' misery. There's no other explanation for such heartless comments and UNFOUNDED accusations. NO ONE KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED YET. Stop acting like you do.

Jadey

Okie Dokie - Wrong answer, go to the back of the line.
This is my second post and both have been to you.
I keep reading your senseless posts, in other words, useless drive on every Travolta link in TMZ.
Next question is, What do you have against this family to believe everything you are reading here? Are you that Gullible?
OOPS, that was 2 questions ...

Yawn

Honestly, Scientology has everything to do with this!
How could it not be a factor?
They will now be blaming anything but Scientology practices for this event.
We are already seeing all the Scientology "higher-ups" getting on the control bandwagon.
How sad that the route they chose may have caused the end of their son's life?
This is something that they will have to live with forever, not us.
Will they turn around one day and realize what really happened here?
It's heartbreaking.

@#@%$

So WHEN are the Travoltas or any of these other MORON Scientologists going to Admit that this poor child had Epilepsy and various other mental conditions and that these are valid diseases that people all over the world suffer from?
I have a brother with epilepsy and he was on Depakote for years, it Did start to stop working which is why his Neurologist, not a "Church" changed up his meds! THAT is how it is properly handled you Morons! May your child RIP, he deserved better care!

SUN

I am sorry... but if my child were having seizures so severe every 4-days, he wouldnt be left alone for one second, much less hours on-end. One would assume that is what the 2-nannies went along for- you would think.

Where were the parents during htis time? They tell us where the useless nannies were, but not the parents. Sounds like Jett had the I.Q of a 7-year old, so who woulde leave a healthy 7-year old alon, much less one with a severe medical condition- per their words.

2067 days ago

Wow, LOOK at all the RACISTS...

#41 "Such A Sad Idiot" - Why is it any of your business??? Let the family mourn their son, you Sh*itty Sherlock. You have nothing better else to do on a Sunday but be negative. I'm leaving to go pray for you...Peace!