Travolta Death Cert Lists Seizure

1/5/2009 6:53 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

UPDATE: 9:29 ET Dr. Hubert Minnis, Minister of Health in the Bahamas, told Larry King Jett's body was cremated today.

UPDATE 5:52 ET -- The assistant director of the funeral home told TMZ the pathologists who performed the autopsy concluded Jett Travolta died from a seizure.

Jett Travolta's death certificate lists "seizure" as the cause of death.

No word on the coroner's findings, at least not yet.

The funeral home says "The body was in great condition and shows no sign of head trauma," despite police and family who say the boy hit his head either on the toilet seat, bathtub or both.

The body is currently en route to the airport to be flown back to Florida.

Story developing ...

Lanie

Exactly, Lanie. You people who post on here b.eotching about TMZ reporting on celebrities or whatever are so stupid. Why do you come onto a gossip blog if you are so offended by the subject matter? Go read the Wallstreet Journal or something.

and delaneygrace. If they weren't giving their son the proper medical care due to a cult then people have every right to judge. I don't know whether they did or didn't but I know what Scientology promotes and they are Scientologists. A child is dead and the more people ignore these dangerous "religions" which promote not using preventative and abortive medications to dangerous, deadly illnesses,,, and shrug it off with the lame, "freedom of religion" line.. the more people will DIE.

Brenda

Exactly as they said. No mystery here, and not a lack of parenting. God bless John, Kelly, and Ella. And I pray they do not read these comments. All yall haters have a special place reserved in hell.

Jovi Fan

Coming from a person who does have seizures regularly that sometimes medicine just does not work. I have my meds upped after every seizure I have had & still seem to have one. I do take precautions like not taking a bath by myself & not driving very far by myself. I have already done jail time because I had one & the cops believed me to be drunk & on drugs. I have no memory of what had happened but after listening to my family who have witnessed it it is very scary you never know if you are going to come back. I feel for the Travolta's because it seems no matter how many precautions you take you can't always control what happens. I don't believe people should judge them about meds. I don't want to go to the hospital or doctor after one because nobody gives me answers. So please get the whole story before you judge them & accuse them of neglect. Seizures cannot be controled. Even with medicine. So let him RIP & pray for his family.

Lord Almighty

Sheesh...I'm surprised you weren't live blogging the autopsy, TMZ.

People like #1 and #6 make me wish for the death of the Internet.

I'm taking the advice of someone in a previous thread and not commenting here anymore, so as not to perpetuate and promote the circus you've turned this tragedy into. You know, I believe that you absolutely do have to make certain concessions when you're a huge celebrity. You have to be prepared to give up a certain amount of privacy and you have to be able to handle more scrutiny than the average person. That's the trade-off for being ulra-wealthy and famous. But this is just over the line. In your never-ending quest for entertainment, you forgot that celebrities are people, too. I don't think we can say the same for the "writers" at TMZ.

And for anyone who wants to say that it's okay because the Travoltas will never read this stuff...they may not, but I bet they know what people are saying and what the media is doing. If not first-hand, then second-hand. They know. You can't have the whole world talk about you and not hear SOMETHING.

Lanie

so as a mom of a 13 year old, please just let the story have some dignity. I am not interested in the details anymore, how unbelieveably sad to have them hope upon hope that he would make it and then he actually did not, he died. So let US all not make this a web story for comments.

Posted at 5:15PM on Jan 5th 2009 by Lauren
-----------------

If you aren't interested in reading the details anymore, then why are you on here posting about it? Stop reading it if you are over it.. You say, "let US all not make this a web story for comments" but you just commented on here. Hypocrite much? Get over yourself. Some people are interested in this story. John Travolta is a big celebrity. That is the downfall of being rich and adored by millions of people. Your life is an open book.

Don't tell other people what to do and don't come on here demanding this website stop writing about this story.

dangimold

Ditto Lauren. And to see the pics of Jett and John on the boat..Jett kissing his dad. Heartwrenching. All that matters is a son is dead. A family is heartbroken. Leave the details out and show respect.

Chuck

IT SURE LOOKS LIKE THE SCIENTOLOGY ARMY IS OUT IN FORCE ON THIS SITE....DAMAGE CONTROL IS CONTINUING....THEY ALL FLOOD ALL SITES THAT SAY ANYTHING BAD ABOUT OTHER BRAINWASHED SCIENTOLOGISTS......REMEMBER THERE ARE SUPPOSEDLY 10,000,000 AND THEY HAVE A VESTED INTEREST IN KEEPING THE cRUISE tRAVOLTA 'DONATIONS" FLOODING IN. aNYONE WHO SAYS GOOD THINGS ABOUT CRUISE AND TRAVOLTA IS A SCIENTOLOGIST. LEAVE TMZ ALONE FOR TRYING TO TELL THE TRUTH ABOUT YOU WACKOS

Xenumania

I want to know what types of medication (if any) Jett had in his system. Despite what the spin-doctors from the Cult of Scientology say, they DO NOT approve of taking medications that effect the mind in any way. This includes anti-seizure drugs. The cult should stop practicing medicine and leave it to the real professionals.

I feel horrible that the Travolta's have to endure the pain of a dead child, but when are they going to open their eyes and see their cult for what it is!

Jovi Fan

Oh & one more thing. I don't think religion should be the reason are believing that they stop the meds. Maybe they stopped one med & put him on another. I know how frustrating it is to be on meds to prevent it & it keeps happening. I would like to go off my meds myself because I believe they aren't always working. I'm a mother of a 12 year old & 13 year old & can bear the thought of them not having me around to guide them as they grow up. So please let the whole story come out before passing judgement. The family is going through enough that they shouldn't have to put up with people that don't know them judge them

Um Hello???

Dr. Cyril Wecht, while not involved in 16-year-old Jett Travolta's autopsy, which was completed Monday in the Bahamas, says he expects the two pathologists performing the autopsy to come up with one of three findings.

“If it’s a traumatic death of a definitive nature, they will know that today,” Wecht tells Foxnews.com, referring to reports that Jett Travolta hit his head in a fall in a bathroom in the family's vacation home.

“But a hematoma doesn’t kill you,” he says, referring to the visible knot on someone’s head resulting from blunt trauma. “But if the hematoma is associated with a fracture or hemorrhage inside the skull, called a subdural hematoma, that could lead to traumatic death.”

Dr. Wecht would be surprised, however, if a fall in a bathroom is ruled the cause of death.

“Usually a fall to the floor does not result in death,” he said. “There is usually not enough velocity from a fall of that short a distance.”

If both a subdural hematoma and a Kawasaki-related event are ruled out, Jett’s history of convulsive seizures could be considered.

“But if it’s a convulsive seizure disorder, they won’t find anything,” Wecht says. “There is nothing of significance to find, anatomically speaking. The only way you can make that diagnosis is if you rule out everything else, including drugs in a toxicology report. If that is the case, that could take a couple of weeks.”

Wecht performed his autopsy on Daniel Smith alongside the Bahamanian coroner, and co-signed his report. He says co-signing the report is customary unless the independent coroner submits his own as a matter of course, or if the two differ on the cause of death.

“The local pathologist takes the lead because it's his territory,” Wecht says. “The only reason you have to [file your own] is if there are some areas, or an area on which you disagree.”

Bahamian Minister of Health Hubert Minnis declined to offer coment on any of the autopsy results Monday.

Jett's body was expected to be transferred soon to Grand Bahama's Restview Memorial Mortuary, said Glen Campbell, an assistant funeral director.

The family was expected to send his remains by Wednesday to Ocala, Florida, where the actor owns a home, said Obie Wilchcombe, a family friend and member of the Bahamian parliament.

Reports have emerged suggesting that the Travolta family may intend to keep the autopsy results private.

"If there is no evidence of criminality, and if police have no questions or suspicions, and there are no drugs are involved, the family has the right to keep the autopsy private," Wecht says.

"If it proves to be a natural death, albeit a most tragic one, then they will be able to keep the autopsy results from the public."

Courtest foxnews.com

I find it interesting that they listed Seizure as C.O.D. after reading this earlier today. Not accusing anyone of anything, I am just stating my opinion, and my opnion is this is interesting.

TMZisAOK

Here’s something everyone needs to remember and think about. In your workplace, do you have any obligation to share with your co-workers the details of your personal life? Details such as your sexual preference, religious beliefs or an autopsy report on your child? Sure, some people like to discuss these things with their co-workers, but are they obligated? Absolutely not. The Travolta family does not owe their fans or the media any of these details. Regardless of the fact that a person’s occupation puts them in the public spotlight the bottom line is that it is still their “job” and no one is obligated to share any personal information with anyone in accordance with their job. If they want to fine, if not, it’s simply none of our business.

Kay

Only a funeral home could use the term "great condition" to describe a deceased young man. Why couldn't they just button it?

YAWN

I sure hope that ignorance is bliss because there sure is a lot of ignorance on this website. I am blissfully happy myself.

Unrelated subject, what's with the need to type all in caps?

two cents

Curiouser and curiouser. How DO they keep all their lies straight?

What a silly little cult. Look at all the Scientologists on this board, trying to keep up the attacks to keep the truth hidden. Yet another death due to this cult's abuse. Nice.

Gloria Google

Forensically speaking it is a medical IMPOSSIBILITY to list SEIZURE as a cause of death in an autopsy even if there are claim of a medical history. This can only be determined after toxicology testing which can take a mimimum of two weeks.The Travoltas have said that Jett suffered from Kawasaki disease, so “they’ll be examining that as well,” says Wecht. “It has a very low death rate, but it can cause sudden death by aneurysm.”

“But if it’s a convulsive seizure disorder, they won’t find anything,” Wecht says. “There is nothing of significance to find, anatomically speaking. The only way you can make that diagnosis is if you rule out everything else, including drugs in a toxicology report. If that is the case, that could take a couple of weeks."...Dr. Cyril Wecht, the pathologist