Obama's New Decorator -- You Be the Judge

1/13/2009 8:55 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The White House private quarters will be gussied up by interior designer Michael Smith. The dude has decorated the homes of Steven Spielberg, Dustin Hoffman and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Smith is big into antiques that feel "airy and family friendly" -- whatever that means.

So look at the gallery and tell us....

lena

local west coast guy. that's impressive. nice to see it's not the normal east coast thing.

len

Judy Posts are public domain. Any number of posters can read any of them at any time. The fact remains that your posts reflect a person who is a bitter, miserable controlling person. You will not accept a negative about yourself. Consequently you will not shut up until you have proven yourself right. And you will continue to defend your " rightness", by becoming increasingly nasty & accusatory. You are so self absorbed. Of course you will respond to this post. You just can't help yourself.

Leah

You know, these pictures are examples of the decorators easy, breezy California style - not necessarily what will be designed for the White House. Perhaps the Obama's want to warm the place up rather than have their children grow up in a mausoleum.
Damn, you are all quick to criticise.

bcarefulwhatuwish4

51. A must read

Barack fools us
Whole world will pay for America's electoral mistake
By MICHAEL COREN, TORONTO SUN

Posted at 9:50PM on Jan 13th 2009 by Amen

Hmmm, they took the site down.

Terry

On the launch photo link of his work there is a column, I'm sure that was the deciding factor on why they picked this designer, greek chic

dealANDnodeal

from the gallery, I would describe this designer's style as "American Aimless" or perhaps
"Personality-free Contemporary" (plus some of the wall decorations are seriously tacky)

Leah

Hey,

The financial appropriations for the White House are a matter of public record:

The White House private quarters are renovated with EVERY incoming President and paid for by a private foundation with donations - NOT taxpayer dollars.

The First Family pays for their own food - they are billed for it.

Mrs. Bush just NOW received $250,000 worth of dishes (NOT $150,000) which have never even been used...something to say about THAT???

bcarefulwhatuwish4

69. Bush just spent $150,000 on new gold rimmed designer china for the White House before he leaves. That's right... $150,000!!! Every president has redesigned the White House when arriving. This is nothing new. So those of you pro-Bush Obama bashers need to educate yourselves.

Posted at 10:57PM on Jan 13th 2009 by Mel

Hey Mel, if you want to talk smack about Mrs Bush and the china she just purchased, at least get the numbers right. Actually the price Mrs Bush paid for the china was $485,000.00. Watch the news much? They had a segment on with Laura Bush showing the china. And yes it's beautiful and gee, guess who will be getting to use it? Won't be any of the Bush team. So I'd say that was rather nice of President and Laura Bush to buy such a beautiful house warming gift for BHO and MO

Leah

Uh oh...sorry.

You are right. It IS $450,000.

Is this a racial problem, because ever President to date has been afforded the same privileges as the Obamas and I don't remember ANYONE complaining about it,

bcarefulwhatuwish4

Uh oh...sorry.

You are right. It IS $450,000.

Posted at 2:39AM on Jan 14th 2009 by Frank

Not a racial problem for me, what's good for one is good for all. I was just making a point to everyone dissing Laura Bush for purchasing the china who hate anything and everything that has to do with the Bush family, that gee, yeah, Laura did buy them, but guess who gets to use them. Meaning she didn't buy them for herself. I couldn't care less who eats off of them, I'm perfectly happy with my grandmother's Jewel Tea dishes.

bobby trendy

This is junk. Nothing like the mansions and palaces that I decorate.

Stephanie Goldmin

Id have to say Bobby Trendy would have been the better choice. This desinger is too novice and the items in these pictures look like garage sale merchandise. It truley is garbage.

Kathy

I totally agree with #1 - who is paying for all this? Oh, US of course!

With millions of people being homeless now because of these foreclosures (which were SUPPOSED to be addressed by these TRILLIONS of $$$$ they've been doling out as "bailouts") and millions who have lost their jobs, and my family and I struggling just to make ends meet like most of you guys here...I too am glad to see that Obama will get a "make over" for his digs

What's wrong with the WH as it is? Why does every freaking President & 1st Lady have to "redo" it????

And while I'm ranting...WHY are we having such a huge bash with all these balls & parties that WE have to pay for too especially during this horrible economic times?

God bless America but only if your rich or can mooch off us taxpayers and peons I guess

BTW, this guy's "designs" stink as far as I'm concerned, but then what do I know? I'm only one of the many who has to pay for all this crap with my meager income. They're ugly, blah, boring and I'm sure he'll be paid handsomely with my money and yours for his "talent" in OUR house - isn't the WH supposed to be the "people's house"? Yeah right.

Anyone else feel like moving to Canada?

superman

Obama is going to be one of the worst Presidents in U.S. history, He will be asked to resign sometime in his first year.

Tiger Tale

People, give Barack Obama a break. If your wife looked like Michelle, you would do anything in your power to draw attention away from her face too, ya know?