Wilchcombe Outraged by Extortion Claim

1/25/2009 7:35 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Obie Wilchcombe & John TravotlaObie Wilchcombe -- who was very close to the John Travolta family -- has broken his silence, saying he had nothing to do with any extortion plot -- and it appears he thinks the woman charged with extorting John is clean as well.

Wilchcombe told Us Magazine he was approached early last week by Pleasant Bridgewater, who just resigned her seat in Parliament after being charged with conspiracy to extort on Friday. Wilchcombe says Bridgewater told him "someone was doing something untowards" and he was asked to forward the info on to Travolta's lawyers.

Wilchcombe, who was detained by Bahamian cops for questioning and released Friday, insists he was not involved in the alleged conspiracy and "never once [asked] for anything."

Here's what's interesting. Wilchombe says the attempted extortion was committed by "one single individual." It appears he's talking about EMT Tarino Lightbourne, who we're told is still in custody. But cops believe definitely more than one individual was involved because Bridgewater already has been charged with conspiracy.

Sources tell us Wilchcombe maintains Bridgewater got wind of the extortion attempt and told him so he could pass it along to Travolta's lawyers. Wilchcombe told Us Magazine he "did a noble thing" by giving Travolta's people a heads up.

As we reported yesterday, the initial extortion demand was $25 million and Travolta's lawyers set up the extortionists by pretending to negotiate. The extortionists allegedly haggled down to somewhere between 10 and 20 million dollars -- we're told somewhere in the middle. And, we're told, cops have recordings of conversations.

99centz

enough....enough enough.............

Wow

I hope he's telling the truth. I'd hate for the Travolta to have to deal with the betrayal of a friend on top of everything else...

L.S

It is so disgusting what is happening right now to the Travolita's that poor family.

Phil

Who cares........sad, but, extremely BORING story.

b.brigham

ON GERALDO LAST NIGHT HE BROUGHT UP THE SUBJECT THAT IT WASNT ABOUT JETT, BUT SOMRTHING ABOUT JOHN TRAVOLTA LIFE.......WE CAN GUESS WHAT IT MIGHT BE BUT ISNT SAID..SAME AS TOM CRUISE AND SCIENTOLOGISTS CIRCLING THE WAGONS

Tarentee

I am from the bahamas but what you people fail to fathom is that all bahamian people are not the same. This is just a silly act that was committed by our previous! government who is not even office. Please do not let this ruin your image towards bahamian people because we are naturally nice and generous people. Who are honored that suck prestigious people would even think of coming into our country. So please don't blame us for 2 of our countries politicians incongruous behavior. Just because our politicians made a silly mistake i go not think that you should generalize our entire country as a bunch of money hungry criminals.

Ballistic

What is to extort? What was the threat? Were they going to tell the world about how the kid really was treated and how exactly he died?

Tarentee

I am from the bahamas but what you people fail to fathom is that all bahamian people are not the same. This is just a silly act that was committed by our previous! government who is not even in office. Please do not let this ruin your image towards bahamian people because we are naturally nice and generous people. Who are honored that suck prestigious people would even think of coming into our country. So please don't blame us for 2 of our countries politicians incongruous behavior. Just because our politicians made a silly mistake i do not think that you should generalize our entire country as a bunch of money hungry criminals. This is very ignorant because there is not one country that can say each and everyone of they're citizens do not commit crimes.

Howard Robard Hughes IIV

Leave KING of the airways JOHHNY all out of it MAN!!!!!-Jet was like his GOD man how he loved that KID and how RATT ass of hollywood to shiet on that.Faith is FREEDOM to DECIDE if you think there is a GOD.JOHHNY gave his life to his JET- Man!!! end of DAH STORY remember that the next time you try to love someONE.Howard Robard Hughes IIV hats off to Jet N johhny fly free forever!!!

Tarentee

John Q Public that is totally not true. Have you even ever bin to the Bahamas? How dear you say that we kill white people that is kind of ignorant considering the fact that we depend on tourism and thats its our number 1 industry and most of our tourist are WHITE PEOPLE.

Q

Ok Ok, I was upset when I wrote that...they dont kill white people for sport there...and yes I've been to the Bahamas, its nice, the people I met were nice, but these government people keep coming up everytime there is trouble down there...the people should get rid of them and get honest leaders in place.

westendgrandbahamaresident

Oh what a web we weave when we practice to deceive! Your explanation conveys that you are attempting to cover your ass and that of your lady friend. The Bahamian Police are keeping Tarino Lightbourne alive for obvious reasons. He has the proof to burn you at the cross. Your statement conveys that you are denying your involvement. You cannot unring the the bell sir! Mr. Wilchcombe it is time to resign your seat as the Member of Parliament for West End and Bimini. You have done nothing for your people and your career is over. You are tainted forever. the people deserve better, You can kiss your ass goodbye! See ya!

Tarentee

Lol way to go westendgrandbahamaresident! and yes are trying to get rid of those corrupted politicians thats why the political party that both Pleasant Bridgewater & Obie Wilchcombe were voted out. And I am aware of the wrong that they have done I am just saying that all Bahamians are not the same. But people the bahamas is a beautiful place do not feel threatened enough to make the choice of not visiting you would regret its an experience of a lifetime you will love it!

Sharona

Posted at 7:00PM on Jan 25th 2009 by Tarentee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tarentee,

Most Americans are not as ignorant as John Q. I've been many times to the Bahamas, and found the Bahamian people to be kind, helpful and gracious. I travel often, and had a Frenchman curse me out, compare me to Paris Hilton, and refuse to serve me because I am an American. It hurt, deeply, as I have never voted for a Bush. I think the comparison to Paris hurt worse!

You are not responsible for the actions of your politicians. You are not responsible for the Travolta tragedy. Please be assured that most of us know that. Can't wait to visit Lyford in March! Take good care of you.
Fondly,
Ali

Shay

I happen to personally and professionally know Obie Wilchcombe and I do not believe he is involved, for one New York second. Obie, unlike Pleasant Bridgewater, is not broke. He is very intelligent, and a really nice man. I think we should wait and see what type of evidence the "KeyStone Cops" come up with. I too am from the Bahamas, I can tell you that the Bahamian police is no FBI. Trust me. I ought to know, I came from a long line of Bahamian law enforcement officers. Anyone, anyone, anyone, can be a cop in the Bahamas. I don't trust their investigations anymore than if the Pink Panther had conducted it. One more thing you should know - the Bahamian government would want Obie to rot in hell - they are so politically motivated (since the new government is in) they'd do anything to look good in the eyes of Americans. Remember, tourism is our main industry. They would like nothing more than to look good on US television. Remember this post, when you hear the results of this investigation. You have my word that they is more to this story.

Obie is smart, he is friends with lots of American celebrities. He is good friends with Magic Johnson for one. He's had opportunity to 'extort' money from others and didn't do it, why extort money from someone who knows his voice. He is friends, personal friends with Travolta. And speaking of Travolta, I honestly believe he is a really nice guy and whomever did this to him, is a coward, a lousy, greedy, stupid, coward!

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments