AJ

Loses Sobriety Battle

Again

1/27/2009 11:19 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

AJ McLean is a recovering alcoholic -- so it was heartbreaking to see the Backstreet Boy stumbling out of the Key Club last night, appearing to be wasted out of his mind.

AJ McLean: Click to watch
As McLean nearly falls into the street, one of his friends calls him out -- right out in the middle of Hollywood -- emotionally confronting the guy who went to rehab for alcohol and cocaine abuse in 2001... and again in 2002.

Witnesses inside the Key Club say they saw McLean taking shots and drinking beers during the show. After the confrontation, McLean's friends forced him into a cab and sent him home.

McLean was reportedly six years sober in 2008. Calls to McLean's rep have not yet been returned.

doc27

this is hard to watch, im not a BSB fan but someone must have told AJ about visual cue's . the only way to stop drinking is to stay away from pubs and clubs and others who drink. As soon as he see's alcohol his brain starts to crave it, kind of like trying to give up smoking, as soon as you think about giving up you want to smoke more. people shouldn't feel sorry for him, they should be more firm with him and just say NO your not doing that , it's a bad idea! He wouldn't like it at first but he would thank them in the long-run. There are to many YES people around him just because of the colour of money. I have stopped quite a few people from drinking its not easy but it can be done. oh and for those who might say "you dont know what it's like" emm yes i do my father was an alcoholic.

2038 days ago

effit, Their still hot.

drunk, or stoned.

sober or high,

AJ will always be on the creepy side of the backstreet track.

Ive been a fan for a good 12 years, but lets face it, We all know his 'sober' kick wont last as long as he is a 'backstreet boy' a lifestyle comes with his name.

id still do him though.

well...I'd do Nick. Nick and his new body.

2068 days ago

BSB Foverver

Drunk people are not cool. Why would you write a comment like that. I am sorry but I guess I don't find it funny. Aj needs people to support him and not make comments like drunk people are cool.

2008 days ago

Str8UpNilka

Drunk people are cool

Quintile

I feel empathy for this guy. He should have been working with another alcoholic and called his sponsor. Obviously he still had a lurking notion he could drink like other people and not take a terrible beating. The disease progresses even when you don't drink for awhile. I hope he gets back into the life of sobriety. God help him. It's a tragic, soul-destroying disease.

cmj

wow-- that's kinda hard to watch.

two cents

Who was that nasty heffer?? What a skank trying to throw her weight around. lol!

Video was hard to watch, I hope he can get over this hump and get back to sobriety.

Mary

Agh, man. Really sad. I'm sure it's been a constant struggle, with the kind of life he leads and the people around him. I hope he recovers.

Sharona

Ok - he slipped. Not at at all unusual for one who is newly sober. Why you repulsive vultures, especially the revoltingly fat girl, who are taunting him goes beyond cruelty.

HetherFeather

I have been a BSB fan since they first started. To see AJ like that after a 6 years struggle is upsetting. I feel for him, and hope that we will once again get more help... i know he cn do it again....hopefully for longer then six years this time. I thoughts and prayers are with him....

Caro

OMG!!!
Poor guy...
if he was with his friend, how could let him drink alcohol... what kind of friend are those??????????

julie

Wow, that really sucks to see him impaired again. I wish him to best and hope this is not the start of a downward spiral.

ozzman

jackass...

Julie

AJ needs to surround himself with people who care about him or he will die.

Becky Williams

That is very sad. I hope he really understands that people want him to get better.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments