Virgin Sues Over Hudson Crash Prank

1/27/2009 5:07 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Virgin AmericaVirgin America is suing a company that allegedly created a phony ad, making it look like Virgin was trying to profit from the US Airways crash.

According to the suit, filed yesterday in Federal court, Virgin claims Adrants Publishing posted an ad on its website, Adrants.com, showing a photo of the jet planted in the Hudson River, with the caption, "The Hudson Crash: Just One More Reason to Fly Virgin."

The suit claims a honcho at Adrants said, "We've seen Virgin turn ugly situations to its advantage before, making it [the fake advertisement] very much in keeping with the Virgin brand persona. The only thing saving the tribute from being in terrifically bad taste is the fact that no one lost his or her life in the crash. So woot! -- slather your big reds all over those news shots, V."

Virgin says the ad damages its good name and is suing for, among other things, defamation.

Adrants maintains it was all just a spoof.

We spoke Adrants, they say they didn't create the ad, they just posted it on their site after someone sent it to them.

Ooooo Noooo!

That's about as funny as the false reports they found Ellen DeGeneres face down in Ricki Lake.

Prince Von A-Hole

Completely mild along side some of the crap TMZ posts after tragedies. In fact I'm surprised that fake ad wasn't a TMZ creation

Chris

Thats freakin cold!!!

Prince Von A-Hole

What about Jim Nabers Floating on the Hudson. The Rock Hudson that is

maggie

come on 99centz, what do YOU think?

ut oh

Guess all the passengers on the flight that went down in the Hudson want MONEY! They should be glad their lives were saved. They were offered $5000, but thats not good enough. Its disguesting. Selfish bastards. Perhaps if they had died their families could have got sooo much more, but then they wouldn't be there to enjoy it. They shoud be happy they are here to see another day instead of thinking how much they can make out of it. All you that went on the Media band wagon on TV afterwards and praised the pilot should be ashamed. Sue Sue Sue. The American Dream.

Prince Von A-Hole

Should be Nabors

Carrys F.

I don't get it. The ad was a joke? Why did it use Virgin? It wasn't a Virgin airplane. I'm sorry. I just don't get the joke or the response.

two cents

Why don't we ask any of the 140+ passengers if they think it's funny.

What a bunch of idiots, simply amazing how they can stay in business when they continue to make the public a laughing stock. Ignorant fkcs.

99centz

well thank you mizz magie but virgin iz the bomb!!!every seat haz a tv screen and you can watch over 200 thing'z & you can send mesage'z to anybody on the flight.....I fly them all the time from la to seattle so leave them alone!!!the seat'z are so confy...it make'z all udder airline'z look like a'73 pinto................I wish they would fly to chicago!!!

o

I`d BUy dat4 a dollar/You SUCK 99centz from the ass of a DON-KEY the rest of the POSta are GREATMan!.At last everyone has go up to speed on TMZ`s limpie camp out!!!Including 99`s suckup actions.

99centz

what do owen wilson & flight 1549 have in common.....??? they both went down on the hudson......................

o

I rest my case!.RIP

John

Virgin is a "good name"? Give me a break!

dudette

I didn't get it either but I thought it was funny Really, why Virgin?

2030 days ago