Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

David

#127 Yes, thank you. I made a typo and how sophomoric to try to "undermine" me with that. I believe I stated my thoughts clearly. I didn't infer I was perfect but well above the subject matter and most of the readers here at this uncivilized hour.

2000 days ago

TMZ hits a new low

I couldn't believe that our new president who is supposed to be somewhat hip and cool, didn't have the idea to actually invite Etta James to sing her own damn song! She's not dead, y'all! What a tragic oversight of stupidity on the part of the White House. Etta James is a masterful American legend. Beyonce is Jay Z's wife. "Nuff said. I love you, Etta! You got robbed.

2000 days ago

Ms. X

OMG...Etta has a point. I mean, Bey has always been a great entertainer but she's not in the same league vocally as Etta. Also, Etta's still around and still sings.....Why didn't "Big Ears" let the real singer who can actually "Sang" sing the song?

2000 days ago

ceci

I blame Obama's people for this one . They just should have had Beyonce sing one her signature songs for their first dance and there would be no hurt feelings. Beyonce could have sang one of her classic's like "Crazy in Love", "Cater to You", "Bootylicious", or Obama's favorite "Single Ladies.". I can just see little Sasha and Malia flipping their hand chanting put a rang on it, while daddy and momma gyrated to the beat. I can see why Obama wouldnt want Etta singing she doesnt have class like Beyonce, probably would have worn a bra to the event. An for those of you who dont know who Etta James is you probably are not familiar with what real music sounds like. Im sure Etta had enough of biting her tongue. She's lived to be 70 and at that point I say who cares, speak your mind.

2000 days ago

Ms. X

@ Kimberly
I just watched both clips and still think Etta's is best. I don't see why Bey would have been chosen over Etta. She's best!

1999 days ago

Proud American

1st Aretha now Etta. Both of these cows are just jealous of Beyonce! Their time in the spot light is done, they should be glad someone wants to sing their songs. That is, unless the one singing their songs, is young and beautiful. I don't see their fat asses complaining when Beyonce is naming them as those she admires and so forth. But let her sing, and all of a sudden, "She thinks she's all that!" Beyonce didn't do anything wrong. She's always respectful of these old hags. They need to get over themselves. Tina Turner didn't get mad. But then again Tina still looks good, AND she can still perform, unlike Aretha and Etta, who both look out of breath, BEFORE reaching the stage!

1999 days ago

oprah

Speaking of that guy with the BIG EARS....what a joke he is. His total lack of inexperience is finally showing. And the sad things is it will affect us all. But of course he is so good at manipulating people' mind that most won't see it that way. Now he created a new phrase for himself after his BAD choices of staff: "I SCREWED UP" Yeap, I knew he would, that is why I did not vote for him.

And of course, Bush also screwed up but the freaking media (and himself) were not fair to him.

And now, him and his fugly wife are totally changing the system in the white house. It seems their intentions are to convert it into a ghetto place. Hey, Mr. Big Ears, you are not living in Chicago no more......! What an insult for all the past presidents who dignified the HOUSE.

He truly is the ANTI -CHRIST

1999 days ago

oprah

"President Obama is facing criticism for keeping his office warm enough to "grow orchids" in -- after he called on Americans to protect the environment and turn down their thermostats"

...true hypocrite!

1999 days ago

Joanne

From the moment I heard that Beyonce was going to sing "At Last", it just didn't agree with me... I wonder why Etta wasn't invited to the White House to sing that song herself? Etta, you still got it.. You go, Etta!!

1999 days ago

Bex

Beyonce can't sing. I wish Etta could kick her ginormous ass. It is sickening when people like her, Britney Spears and Qwen Stefani get rich from not being able to sing! Hey, I never bought her stuff, but a whole bunch of idiots did. Shame on you morons!

1999 days ago

Kiara

that old azz heffa can kiss beyonce azz cuz beyonce made her known! did anyone eva hear of etta james till beoynce said her name?

1999 days ago

Sloane

if Etta still has the pipes then she should have been asked to sing it

Beyonce was the trendy choice for the young voters who probably never heard the song before

she should have sung one of her own-but obviously her trendy tunes with the booty shaking aren't sophisticated and probably won't stand the test of time and would have been an embarrassment if they were sung

KUDOS TO ETTA!!

BEYONCE SHOULD BE SENDING HER ROSES

1999 days ago

Sloane

READ COMMENT # 40

IT SAYS IT ALL

1999 days ago

Nicki

The old woman is losing the plot. Maybe she hates the fact that Beyonce is still young and beautiful and she is not. Yes she is an icon and without women like her there would not be a Beyonce BUT Beyonce is a talented beautiful black woman and Etta should be proud of her for being so successful. I'm sure Beyonce was not trying to be disrespectful by singing her song, the opposite probably.

1999 days ago

ImMeStopAsking

Etta James old tired ass should be happy her name is ever coming up in a conversation. Being a hater is one thing, but being an elderly hater is particularly unattractive. From the applause in the background at the concert where she made the now infamous comments, it sounded like she had around 13 people there. You can say what ya want about Beyonce, but don't go there about MY president. See, there Etta, you damn near had a comeback. Now you've pissed off Beyonce fans, Barack Obama fans, and about 83% of black people. See you on the discount rack, grandma.

1999 days ago