Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

CINDY MCNEIL

ETTA JAMES ROCKS!!!
BEYONCE ONLY WISHES SHE COULD SING HALF AS GOOD......THE BITCH SHOULD HAVE CALLED ETTA AND ASKED IF SHE WOULD MIND HER SINGING ETTA'S SIGNATURE BEAUTIFUL SONG....IN WHICH TO ME BEYONCE CANT SING WORTH A DAMN ANYWAY.SHE HAS NO HEART!!!

YOU GO ETTA!!!

Ms_Secrets

The funny thing about it is...IT IS NOT ETTA'S SONG! The song was covered by the Glen Miller orchestra and by Nat King Cole (20 years and 4 years respectively) before Etta sung it, and none of those artist wrote the song, it was written by Mack Gordon and Henry Warren, so if they aren't mad then why is she. No one was mad at her in her hay day for singing there song. Older people want respect from the younger generation but they demand it they don't feel like they have to earn it and the SURELY don't return the respect that they want to receive.

Old School

Please it sounds like tmz has picked what side thy are on and it's Beyonce and that figures because she's just a marketed singer without the chops which Tmz loves since tmz loves to put down REAL Talent because Harvey Levin really wanted to be an actor but didn't have the real chops so his crusade in life is to demean all real actors and that's why tmz is on beyonces side, not real talent there at all and that the GREAT ETTA the real deal talent and beyonce will NEVER have the true talent that ETTA posses, Done Deal it's ETTA song once and for all time and if TMZ does not know that, well it wouldn't be the first thing that tmz didn't know.

Dismayed

To Etta,

It is disheartening to hear of this latest news about your miff with Beyonce. I have always been excited about your music because the quality of your voice is/was astonishing and you have produced amazing music through the years all of which I enjoy. I am disappointed that you would attack a younger singer as opposed to promoting her. Beyonce is a talented singer who is still growing with dignity and grace. What an honor it was for her to sing "your song" one would think. In the scheme of things, life really isn't fair is it? I won't say anything derogatory about you but I will say that father time catches us all. Continue to enjoy your musical career and I wish you and Beyonce the best. Train up a child as she should go, Etta. That's all I'm saying.

Madmadeline

I'm not surprised Etta is "real old school" and from the hood too. She was great in her day. That was THEN this is NOW, no disrespect, but come on Etta don't be a bitter old B. No denying Beyonce has a great voice too.

Misha

GOOD for ETTA!!! I cant stand Beyonce, she cant sing worth a damn with all that whooping and hollering she does! And the only reason she is popular is because every video she has she is shaking her fat butt all over the place and gyrating like a crocodile on crack! Etta is the real deal, Beyonce can just go suck it!

Foxey Rose

I can remember reading a comment from Etta James after the Inauguration Ball on CNN, and Etta was saying how happy she was with Beyonce singing that song. NOW WAS UP???????

bdubya

You tell her Etta, his ears are big!

ohthehumanity

Etta who??

EA

You guys need to grow up. First of all Etta James does not own rights to that song or beyonce would not have been able to sing it. Second of all, Beyonce sung that song beautifully. Stop hating. The younger generation would not know anything about Etta James if Beyonce hadn't have played her in the movie. So to Miss Etta and all of you haters, grow up.

Mikey

Sounds to me like she was upset that her song was being used to endorse Obama in addition to her not being a Beyonce' fan.

Hmmm, sounds familiar. I seem to remember someone else bitter that their song was being used to promote a certain Barracuda of a candidate for VP. But of course they were justified because Republicans are evil, Etta needs to learn to respect the One.

Shellsrt

Hater!! She's jealous!

musiclover31

Beyonce is 90% marketing and 10% talent. Dreamgirls got it right when they cast her as the least talented of the 3!
Etta James is FANTASTIC!!!!! 100% TALENT!

scottyp

Etta doesn't like Obidiot
Guess She is a RACIST like the rest of us who thinks he is a tool.

vlscpa

I love Etta's "I'll Take Care of You," and Beyonce bothers me too. Beyonce is a flash-in-the-pan-can, and ETTA IS TIMELESS, PRICELESS, a true part of music history. I LIKE HER POLITICS, TOO. Ass whooping is an added plus.

YOU GO GIRL!