Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

SKINTIGHT

After reading some of the comments concerning Beyonce's voice I wonder? Just as some thinks Etta James was an excellent vocalist, there are some that think Beyonce is a an excellent vocalist. Get real People! Each have their own style, their voices are different, but both are good at what they do. Neither should be called a "B" and I am sure that Etta was a nice looking woman when she was young, and Beyonce is pretty but if she lives to be 7o, she will have crows feet, and turkey gobblers under her throat to. I am saddened to think that Etta would comment about whoopin someones @ss at age seventy. She probably wants to but she can't do it with her bare hands./..get real. Do you think Beyonce would stand there and let a 70 year old woman whoop her @ss. I hope The President ignores such ignorance, he's so classy I hope he doen't fall to the level of giving the comment much thought. Miss Beyonce should continue to sing, dance, act and enjoy life and move over when its her time to go. They both should consider the source and move on. Ms James should be thankful that someone loved her recording enough to sing it, perform it and remember her. She should be glad to recieve these flowers on this side of the grave. When I read of some of these actions it helps me to know how to pray, if I should to be a ripe old age I hope I pray that I don't become bitter, mean spirited, nasty, and make nasty remarks that would mar what I have accomplish in my life time.
I pray that I can accept retirement and move out of the limelight gracefully and enjoy the newcomers, advise them when asked, and do not feel slighted when I am not asked.........Skintight

2046 days ago

pretty-young-thing

ummmm.....personally I think that Etta is a beautiful lady and her song is one of my ultimate faves of her time.......but to be completely honest I think she's just being bitter and a bitch about the whole situation. If she really doesn't like Beyonce then why in the hell would she agree to let her portray her in the movie cadillac records?....I think she's just being hypocritical because Beyonce is younger thn her and gettin more praise and publicity. As for the Obama commetn, that was just pure ignorrance and stupidity. She really needs to sit back and reevalute herself and her life. She wouldn't even be able to sing had it not been for the struggles of our ancestors. I'm not all the way black but her comment was dumb and makes her look and sound dumb for even saying that. I love her but she's totally wrong and being childish about something so trivial........act your age lady.....anywho Beyonce is like 26 and she's like 71.....come on now I think you would be the one getting your ass whipped. I'm not hating again because I love Etta, but she needs to lay off the liquor and be rational

2046 days ago

fatu sankoh

OLD LADY ETTA JAMES WHAT A SHAME FOR YOY HATING ON BEYONCE IF IS NOT BEYONCE SINGING THAT SONG AND DOING THE MOVIE I HAVE NEVER HAVE KNOWN I THOUGHT YOU ARE DEAD GOD BLESS OUR BEY YOU AND THE HATTERS WILL NOT GET A GOOD PERSION DOWN

2046 days ago

Lady Zyariah

I feel Ms. Etta James has every right to be UPSET. You have to get the OK from the original artist before you can just go around singing it like it's your own song. Now she got clearance to sing it for the movie but that was it. For Pres. Obama he to should have Asked Ms. James for the okay for that Damn girl to do her song at the evening of his Swearing In ceremony... And if she has any respect for Ms. James she should've asked her herself if it was okay for her to sing her song at different occasions when she is asked. Lets keep the proper respect in order here. But if You are messing and getting caught up of fame from someone else's fame you then really SUCK, and your husband has been there before stop covering folks songs and not paying for the rights to use it. Stop doing it and be of greater RESPECT.
Got a Bigger Head Beyounce'? I'm just sick and tired of he folks and record folks shoving her down our throats... i'm vomiting on the thought of her seriously!!!!
And that woman talking about Aretha she said she didn't do well it was to cold and the cold wind and weather strained her throat she said she felt bad she wanted to be great for this historic day.

2046 days ago

superwoman

i do not like beyonce im tired of hearing about her. she is very overrated.beyonce has no talent its about time someone said somthing about her ass maybe it will knock her off her high horse. the truth be told i believe that jay-z is cheating on her fake ass. she cannot dance in everyone of her video is does the same old crappy thing . all she do is run around on stage.without weave/wigs she is nothing! chris brown wuz probably mad at rihanna because he found out she was cheating on him with jay-z! and plz quite saying she is pretty.beyonce is not pretty.has anyone seen her without any make-up on? i have and she is UGLY!!!!!! she want to call herself a "DIVA"? beyonce is not a diva! she's just someone that THINKS she is all of that but really she is insecure about herself. beyonce claims she "THICK" THAT BITCH IS NOT THICK!!! she's just as skinney as all the other bitches in hollywood!her and her mom tina both look like some RATS!! IF I was Etta James i would have told her ass off too. And p.s. solange music is wack and she looks like a frog HA HA!!!

2045 days ago

Suga Grama

Will someone have the guts to tell Beyonce she cant ACT! Stick to singing and dancing. And work your own material!

2045 days ago

J Litt

Etta James is a jealous b-tch!

2045 days ago

carolyn

I saw Etta james in concert 2 years ago and had a wonderful time. She was in great form and her band."The Roots", anticipated her every move and note. The article alluded to the fact that Etta had no complaints when Beyonce was portraying her in "Cadillac Records'. Why should she have, that was never an issue.As I understand it, this incident unfolded because Beyonce sang, "At Last " at the Inaugural Ball. I understaND Etta's disappointment and possibly anger. "At Last" is her "signature song". Yes, Beyonce performed it in the movie, she was the executive prioducer so I guess she can do whatever she wants. But , I think it would have shown grace and humility to sing something else befitting the occassion. Etta is the real deal and noone can sing that song like Etta, she has her stamp on it and noone that I have heard sing it can touch Etta.

2044 days ago

Meg

"at last" by ETTA is the real deal. & no other could ever do her justice in singing her material.
its a real shame that the president would choose another to sing it.

2044 days ago

Mzhitani**aback

What is the problem Etta ? Most legendary people are humbled and over joyed to know that their song was so infomous that all new & up coming singers are mused by the songs. It's a very good song, I dont think Beyonce' meant any harm by singing your song. I think that all the drugs and alchohol have left you to be a very bitter old woman, and you should be greatful that your fans look past that part of your life. Dont get me wrong your song is one my favorites but im sure if I sang it better than you, you would probably be pissed at me too. Folks just gotta stop hating on Beyonce' she doing her thang drug free unlike some of you (republican) folks.So please calm your nerves MAM because you need just to sit down and L.I.G. it " let it go" And she didnt comment on it because she's a lady and she was obviously raised better than that. So Ms. Etta why dont you take some leasons from beyonce so that you can learn to play nice and be civil, and live out the rest of your days with some dignity.......Love always from a fanof both of you ladys !

2040 days ago

B

I believe Etta was upset because President Barack Obama did not ask her to sing At Last. BUT, Etta James said " Barack Obama is not my president." This is her direct quote. So why would the President have a woman that does not support him, singing on national televison in honor of himself and his wife? The next best thing would of course be Beyonce since she had just did the movie. I personally think Beyonce knew that one day she was going to get talked about from Etta because she has always been that way. Now Beyonce took the quote like a woman and did not respond. Very mature

rocky

beyonce is a dam good singer but so is etta james etta helped make headway for women singers she was in the erra of the cross over when ignorant people were at their worst and pround of it she is definately 'no has been' she is 'classic' an when she voiced her opion about beyonce singin that song thats just who she is why should she change because she's what yall call old tmz wtf ever lmao etta james is tha **** an always will be no one can sing that song at last the way she did she sang it with heart opression sweat tears an love dust you off her now...

wilma

I feel that etta adn beyonce should have sang that song together. They are both legends.

wilma

I feel that etta an beyonce should have sang the song together. They are both legends.

Kandra Darice Scott

Syreeta I am most excited that you are entitled to an opinion, but lol Etta James is 100% natural lol she was way before those auto tuners that do pitch correction, she was way before the lip syncing, she is an original, her voice was not altered by any of today's technology, I can get a video on youtube with her singing in like a bar or something, and it sounds flawless. Ask yourself the question...

Is Beyonce 100% natural?