Etta James to Beyoncé:

I'll Whoop Your Ass!

2/4/2009 8:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Etta Goes Off: Click to listenThis is not a joke: 71-year-old Etta James actually threatened to beat the crap out of Beyoncé Knowles -- and it's caught all on tape!

The war is all over Etta's song, "At Last " -- Beyoncé sang the tune at Obama's 1st Inauguration Ball on Jan. 20th ... but last week at a concert in Seattle, James was still pissed.

While on stage, Etta told the crowd, "Your President, the one with the big ears ... he had that woman singing my song. She gone get her ass whipped."

She continued, "The great Beyoncé ... I can't stand Beyoncé," according to audio from Crown City Media.

Ironically Etta didn't kick up this sorta fuss when Beyoncé portrayed her in "Cadillac Records."

Reps for Beyoncé had no comment.

Sabrina

I feel it inappropiate for Etta at this age to be acting childish about a song that Beyonce had sung, but I do feel that Beyonce should have chosen another song to sing. It's not like Etta is dead, she can sing her own song. Some might feel intimidated by it. And it's not like she made a tribute to her. So I can see how she feels. Beyonce is just upsetting all of these "divaesque" stars of the past. Beyonce, please stop trying so hard. Be you, and only you please cause they are hating.

2057 days ago

Trophy wife Slim and Trim!!!!

Etta remade Stromy Weather after Lena Horne recorded it...God this digusting HAG is also a hypocrite. I am epileptic and this F ing story (honest to GOD) almost sent me into a seizure. I heard when Etta uncrosses her fat hairy legs (and believe me it is often) it smells like a wharf and the cats coming a calling. This whore should be euthenized.... HATE HER GUTS

Carrie

Etta James should have been the one invited to sing her song.

DR SICK

Obama probably didn't want Etta there not only because she would look like his grandmother singing, but because Etta has a history of bawdiness and raunchiness. Saw her in a gay bar in the 70s and her vulgarity couldn't be touched by sailors! Last August at the Hollywood Bowl with the Roots Band she virtually masturbated on stage rubbing her crotch and moaning. Grandma rocks!! Granted her version of At Last is the standard. But she even changed the arrangement at the Bowl so it wasn't the same. I left photos for her at the Stage Entrance that I'd taken of her back in 1984 at the Vine Street Bar and Grill after she invited me to join her after Esther Phillips funeral. Granted it was 24 years after the event, but hey I found them as I knew I was going to her concert and I had promised to send them. Not even a reply. Don't know if her peeps gave them to her or kept them. But for everything Etta is or is not I will always love her singing, and for taking me under her wing that day in 1984. God Bless Etta James!

janet

me thinks someone is a wee bit jealous for not being asked to sing at a certain event!

LOL

Hey, how bout Obama's screening process for his Cabinet nominees. LOL

vlb

Oh please! Im a huge fan of Beyonce and Im kind of upset of wat Etta had to say. Yes ino it was her song but do you really have to make a big deal out of it. No one can touch Beyonce so Etta please back off, i mean if this sh*t was said before Cadillac Records then mayb Beyonce wouldnt have done it!! Etta just outta b greatful that Beyonce sung her song and played her character and y didnt Etta say this before and directly to Beyonce, but noooo she had to say it in front of a crowd, where every1 cud hear!!! I like Beyonce version better anyway!!!!! Plus i wud really like to see Etta James TRY to whoop Beyonce Knowles's Ass!!!! Do yal remember at Fashion Rocks where Beyonce sang At Last and at the end went into the crowd and was singing directly to Etta!!! Etta sure didnt seem to have a problem there!! If shes mad, dats her problem!!!!! Its like, yes we know its your song and ur acting like Beyonce stole the song wit out ur permisssion!!! Watever Etta!!!! I got ya back Beyonce!!!
luv...v

itsme

this old bitch is just jealous, Beyonce did an amazing job. I love Etta's version more though. I had more respect for Etta, but after this she can kiss my ass!!! That's just so low of her. Ungrateful BITCH!!

Shady Fans not so Shady Stars

I heart Etta James all the more now lol.

99centz

i waz @ the show @ the paramount theatre,901 pine street in beautifull seattle washington & the show waz a little different.she kept grabbin her breast & crotch during her song'z & even though here voice has slipped a bit...she still whopped beyonze'z azz!!!

Tamara

WELCOME TO THE HATERS COMMENTS SECTION. THE PLACE WHERE AFRICAN AMERICANS HATE ON EACH OTHER ON A DAILY BASIS AND THEN BLAME WHITE PEOPLE FOR THEIR SHORTCOMINGS!! LMAO

Done

I have only commented once previously on TMZ. I have increasingly found TMZ is getting very tired: regurgitated stories posted elsewhere long before TMZ, or the mainstay fixation lately of TMZ: boobs, feuds, sex or death....and the posts just sit, idle longer and longer. Get something original - or at least funny and fresh once in awhile.

al loanese

Lets see.....Diana Ross recorded the song.....Beyonce Recorded the song, Cyndi Lauper recorded the song....so this fat bitch seems like she wants her old ass to kick some ass for singing a song....Ettaa the fat heroine user sems to weant to kick half the women that sung that song...hell at least Beyonce made her look human and not like some fat fart!

blahdeblah

why is no one talking about her comment on the president?

Edumacated

Judging by some of the comments, it appears that ignorance is indeed bliss. Is it so difficult to apply a little logical reasoning and place yourself in someone ELSE's shoes for just a millisecond? .

Young people always assume that any criticism from someone older is grounded in "jealousy." I assure you, any woman in her 70's made peace with her age decades ago. So just try to THINK for a moment.

Etta James is a 71-year-old black woman who, while attaining legendary status, unfortunately lived at a time when she could not reap the concomitant financial rewards. Moreover, while the word "racism" is cavalierly (and unfairly) tossed around today,, SHE actually LIVED IT in all of its ignominy. The abuse, the degradation of working at jobs and then not
being paid, simply because an employer knew he could get away with it (as often happened to my own grandmother), being called vile names without the power to retaliate, etc. And never, EVER dreaming she would live to see blacks in ANY positions of authority, much less President. So for this 71-year old black woman to be able to perform her OWN song at this historic event would have been the climax of her life. For Beyonce, it was merely another opportunity in the limelight, since she has already been rewarded far in excess of any discernible talent.

While Ms. James' anger may be misplaced (it should rightly be directed at the preening, racially-insensitive Obama), it is
nevertheless understandable to anyone with the power of reasoned analysis (and sympathy).