« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Phelps

Gets Bonged by

USA Swimming

2/5/2009 10:52 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0205_phelps_bnMichael Phelps has been suspended for three months by USA Swimming after the whole bong thing.

The organization has cut off financial support to Phelps for the three months as well.

USA Swimming said, "This is not a situation where any anti-doping rule was violated, but we decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and a hero."

Michael won't fight the punishment.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Sharon

Oh Michael, everyone makes choices we regret in hind site. After all hind sight is 20/20. Smart choices from now on, OK?

Snoski

Parents should be roll models, not some young kid who has not had enough life experiences...The govenator of california smoked pot back in the 70', president bush sniffed coke in the 80's...nobodys crucifying them...and more so, i expect it from a dork like him. no surprises here...hahaha if you told your kid hes a good role model...

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

Lesson learned - example set. I will never smoke marry-joo-way-nee again, or look at pictures of neckid wimmen on the Internet. I'll just make it a two-fer while I'm at it.

LK

@10, swettieblue

My guess is that he didn't get caught with the drugs while competing for the medals, so it's not like it's violating the rules at the Olympics that all Olympians agreed to abide by.

af001

it just shows no one is better than the other. the public built him on a high pedestal and when he fell he hit hard. he enjoyed the limelight in beijing so now he should get as much publicity w/this shameful act.

filmguy

It is NOT a victimless crime because with their addiction, potheads are supporting the drug cartels. 'Nuff said.

Illinois person

Good serves Phelps right. Kellogg's is pulling the plug on him as well. As for "toofastforyou" all I can see is you need a life! How sad you have nothing better do - like being first to post a comment within is a pivotal moment in life.

99centz

no I was first but it didnt go thru for like 30 seconds & oh boy did I go thru a major hissie fit knowing i might get beat & i did by 30 seconds!Now I can take my nap as tmz never post anything between 6;30 & 10 pdt

SereiaMorena

It's a shame, He should know better.
So sad that so many young children and teens have this man as a hole model and the behaves like a complete irresponsible person.
I would not buy anything that he advertises and I hope nobody will.
Drugs are not ok. Shame on Phelps.

monny j

Oh Come on!!!! IT'S WEED!!!!!foe chrissakes...I bet the people who penalized him smoke HELLA chronic! I smoke weed and I work at TMZ!...everybody...ready,,,,puff on a blunt...right now! light a bowl or whatever but the way the country is now,if i didn't smoke weed I would run amok!

my thoughts

First I will start off by saying I do not smoke maryjane
but I think the government would not be in such a crisis if they legalized pot and then taxed it like everything else...Think about all the pot smokers who could freely buy it ...then pay a tax for it ... we might not even be in trouble with the economy after all :) hehe

Amanda

How can you punish someone for not being a role model?

WHAT?

What makes me mad is the people dying in Mexico to get that stuff here so you people can talk like it's no big deal
LOSER! I'd gladly trade someone who wants to live a clean life here for you.

#645732 - Cell Block H

I agree with #15 Misty 100%. So many people are smoking pot like they are cigarettes these days, it might as well be legalized.
I know I've had my share. Tobacco and alcohol are the number one killers of our youth. Even the medical society agree that pot helps some in medical crises and ailments. It's the old, hardline politicians and law enforcement groups that have stopped the legalization of marijuana. I've smoked pot off and on for over twenty years, and I still have a functioning brain. I work forty hours a week. I've never crashed my car or cut off a finger while trimming my hedges while high. Nothing wrong with pot as far as I'm concerned.

Pass, toke, pass.

my thoughts

Plus I would like to add.... if people grew their pot in their own homes.... would they really be supporting some crazy drug cartel??? no they would not ... It may even in fact put an end to all the crime :)
LEGALIZE IT!
AND i DONT EVEN SMOKE IT BUT I'M SURROUNDED BY ANNOYING UPTIGHT OVER CAFFIENATED FREAKS AT WORK WHO i BELIEVE COULD BENEFIT FROM A GOOD TOKE OR TWO.