« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

No Pot Charges

for Phelps

2/16/2009 5:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsThe ridiculously stupid Michael Phelps pot investigation is finally over.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said today he was not going to charge Michael Phelps over that photo of him smoking a bong.

The photo was taken at a party in November when Phelps visited the University of South Carolina. Sheriff Lot defended his investigation by saying, "Michael Phelps is truly an American hero ... but even with his star status, he is still obligated to obey the laws of our state."

Eight other people were arrested in connection with the photo -- seven for possession and one for dealing.

UPDATE -- On his Facebook page, Michael Phelps released this statement: "I'm glad this matter is put to rest. But there are also some important lessons that I've learned. For me, it's all about recognizing that I used bad judgment and it's a mistake I won't make again. For young people especially -- be careful about the decisions you make. One bad decision can really hurt you and the people you care about. I really appreciate the support my family and fans have shown me and now I will move forward and dive back into the pool, having put this whole thing behind me."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

JMPMI

Ok after watching most of this I just cannot sit mute any longer. I am amazed on how many people say "he is not my hero" because of a mistake he made. Yes it was a mistake, a very stupid one, but a human one. If you take a look at so many other people today...our Mr. President for example!!! OMG he is elected president and also had a drug problem in his younger days (much worse than POT). Wow, he must not be a role model either (even though he was voted as our president) People are human, there is not 1 person in this world who has not made a mistake and regretted it....just because he is who he is....should not matter. If you think about it...to most kids now he should be even more so a role model, why....because he is human and does make mistakes but has taken the responsibility which most kids today do not ever do. They should know they can make a mistake and still be loved, that it is okay but need to truly think before they do it. That's what we as parents should be expressing to our kids, not that Michael Phelps is no longer a role model but that he is human and we need to understand and learn from that....as a parent to other parents, take off the blinders, accept it and come up with a different reason why your kids should still look up to Michael, he did win a ton of gold metals! Use your wisdom, not your anger

1966 days ago

mysistersmellslikepoopsodoyou

WHYYYY do people think weed is harmful?
and why are people calling phelps a tool? i think you have no idea how many people in your life are smoking weed and you just don't know they are. whats wrong with it? hop off his back, he's a human being ANDDD didnt he win the million gold medals AFTER he smoked the weed? BOOYAAAAAA he's just happens to be that badass, get over it.

1966 days ago

john

wow jay, sounds like you got an entire chemical lab there in your own living room? Do you even have time for anything else? A job, a wife, kids? Sports? ...Seems like an awful lotta trouble you go through JUST TO GET HIGH!!?? Really,... how's that working for ya?

You not only enjoy the BUZZ, you CRAVE it? To me, it's rediculous to be "addicted" to ANYTHING!! No matter how pretty you try to paint the picture to make your ADDICTION acceptable to those of us whom DISAGREE with it... it's still YOUR CHOICE. We have all but made Cigarettes illegal,.. putting the taxes and the squeeze on those individuals in efforts to make them quit. But it's STILL a Choice... I don't care what you do in your home, but my tax dollars are already at work on people just like you. Without all your mumbo jumbo just say what you're trying to say.... YOU LIKE TO GET HIGH, YOU LIKE TO BE BUZZED, YOU ENJOY THE SENSATION YOU GET FROM POT!!! Why are you constantly making excuses? Guilt perhaps?

1988 days ago

Jay

Lol. So you're telling me that b/c i can regurgitate information, I dont have a life or im addicted? I do that with many things that I am intrigued to learn about (e.g. rock climbing, photography, etc.). There is nothing wrong with being informed with what you decide to partake, or are interested in. I guess you just like to go into things blindly. Good luck with that. Great angle on the discussion by the way.

I do have a "life"; I workout 4 out of 5 days a week, eat right, I have a fiance, graduated from college, and have a career. I also make time to rock climb (sport, boulder) as much as possible. I also volunteer my time, helping others that are in need. So don't worry about me. Maybe you should worry about your own life choices, rather than trying to talk down to others.

Chemical Lab? HAHAH what? Where did that come from? The info about the patents were copied & pasted from the US patent site. I encourage you to check it out. I choose to smoke from time to time to help with my ADD that medicine cannot properly retain. I also like to do it to relax b/c I am constantly on the go or doing something. Many do the same thing with alcohol with a glass of wine. Like I said, I am an advocate b/c of many reasons, but mostly b/c three of my grandparents died of cancer and I saw them suffer. The meds weren't helping and were causing them to still be in pain. When they did take stronger meds, it put them in a trance like state that made it nearly impossible to be aware of their surroundings and family members. Such a horrible way to live your last few days if you ask me. If medical marijuana was legal/decriminalized (like it is in 13 states) then I feel, along with others, that it would be better for the patients that chose to ingest cannabis. No, its not for everyone, and I DO NOT pressure anyone to try. Its that individual's choice.

So this leads me to my next question. Do you drink? Do you enjoy the feeling of being "buzzed" or even "drunk"?

Once again, another individual that can't bring any facts to the discussion and instead turns to degrade individuals. Just shows your character and that you don't know any facts besides what the government, tobacco companies, and pharmas want you to think. Did you know that the "Above the Influence" commercials are funded by them?. You should know that stereotyping people is no way to go. Grow up.

1988 days ago

Matt

Ridiculous that 8 other people got charged.....how does a picture of michael phelps apparently hitting a bong constitute possession charges for the 7 other people in the room as well as the one for dealing. Seems like all 8 of these people should be able to get off these charges..

1990 days ago

SocialDistortion

Sheriff got his 5 seconds of fame

1990 days ago

Rip M 2 Shreds

I hope they arrested the jerk who took the photo and sold it. Whoever it was, they're a turd.

1990 days ago

fireshlong

Are you guys for real??? He is NOT a hero to my kids who looks up to him. This is another case of 'white' prejudice!!! C'mon, they all smoke the same bong and you would not charge Phelps. This is NOT a swimming issue but consuming weed!!! Stupid!

1990 days ago

.:Loki 4Ever:.

So, he ratted out the other friends? Why is he getting away and they aren't? I think it should ALL be thrown out.. so dumb!

1990 days ago

Toune

YAY it's over....now the South Carolina Police can go an investigate actual crimes...like MURDER.....

M.P, you smoke that bong all ya want, your still an AMAZING ATHLETE!!!!!

1990 days ago

Megan

Why is the marijuana charge against Michael Phelps so ridiculous? If this were an NBA or NFL player he would be stoned! lol

1990 days ago

Rip M 2 Shreds

Hey #2, you're a sanctimonious jerk. Do you think you're perfect? What a joke you are. Drop dead butthole.

1990 days ago

M in Maryland

Good, glad he got off, but PLEASE learn from this Michael. Folks are just waiting for you to screw up like this.

Take care, and leave that girl Mary Jane alone (at least in camera shot). -LOL

1990 days ago

northern gypsy

question ???
"8 other people arrested in connection with this photo" ...ok...if that's the case...
shouldn't M.P. also be arrested ??? seem's a little unfair to me...
what's fair.??? arrest all...or...drop all charges...they were all "connected" to this photo...

1990 days ago

SmileyLJ

I wonder if Micheal wasn't "famous" if the police would have charged him? Another "star" gets by with the law!!!!!!!!!

1990 days ago