« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

No Pot Charges

for Phelps

2/16/2009 5:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsThe ridiculously stupid Michael Phelps pot investigation is finally over.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said today he was not going to charge Michael Phelps over that photo of him smoking a bong.

The photo was taken at a party in November when Phelps visited the University of South Carolina. Sheriff Lot defended his investigation by saying, "Michael Phelps is truly an American hero ... but even with his star status, he is still obligated to obey the laws of our state."

UPDATE -- On his Facebook page, Michael Phelps released this statement: "I'm glad this matter is put to rest. But there are also some important lessons that I've learned. For me, it's all about recognizing that I used bad judgment and it's a mistake I won't make again. For young people especially -- be careful about the decisions you make. One bad decision can really hurt you and the people you care about. I really appreciate the support my family and fans have shown me and now I will move forward and dive back into the pool, having put this whole thing behind me."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

lost in lalaland

#48: So, you've never had a blow job? "cause that's against the law too.

just wondering

From what I can research, oral sex is only illegal in Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Georgia, the Carolinas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia and Washington D.C. So the moral of the story is that if you're planning to relocate, choose your new home wisely - LOL. Meanwhile, smoking pot is illegal in every state (I think) and I'm sure that Michael knew that he was breaking the law while he was smoking. So don't rationalize breaking one law by pointing out that other laws are being broken by consenting adults in the privacy of their bedrooms, and if you don't like a specific law, get to work and have it repealed. In Michael's case, there are photos and there are witnesses so what part of "breaking the law" is so hard for intelligent adults to understand?

1984 days ago

Send My Kids To College!!

#18..Marijuana is a dangerous drug? The only thing people have to fear from dope smokers is the stampede to the nearest 7-11 for their munchie binge! The Frito's, Doritos, and Little Debbie Cakes are the items in real danger.

If Michael Phelps had been snorting coke, shooting heroin, or smoking crack..THEN I would be upset. This is nothing.

Pistol

*snorts* Right. We all know it's about not being stupid enough to get caught.

Fd

Drugs war falied

dafeedil

If there were cameras around everytime I took a hit off a bong at that age......... Let's just say I could fill many photo albums.

lost in lalaland

#48, So you've never had a blow job in any of those states? So sorry to hear that. Either you don't travel much or you are one unlucky dude. Are you seriously suggesting that the people who do live in that significant number of states not engage? So you know, I've been a member of NORML for a long time and we have been trying very hard to stop the insanity of the illegality of MJ. No, we haven't been unsuccessful because we're all stoned, but because of the effects of propaganda (read: Refer Madness) had on people that were groomed not to think for themselves. You're certainly entitled to your opinion. However, if you have NEVER broken any law, you are a very rare bird. Perhaps a little boring as well? Ciao!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP THE MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

honesty

I can only hope this sheriff would only put as much effort into finding the murders, rapitst, and abusers in his county. I am afraid this guy saw a way to get his name in the paper, possibly arrest a gold medal winner , looking like a big bad sheriff, but instead he ended up looking like Barney Fife.
Good going there Barney, I hope your county can look at you with a clearer eye now.

WASTE

This is amazing, a star, always gets off, this we know.......................too bad the others were not hometown hero's.
Eight other people were arrested in connection with the photo -- seven for possession and one for dealing. Such double crap justice.

WASTE

Hail the swimming hero, who has been got for drunk driving before and now pot. Kids grow up and be like this American Pot Smoking Drunk Driving hero, and you will go far.

WASTE

THAT IS HOLLYWOOD JUSTICE, EIGHT OTHERS GET ARRESTED, BUT THE GOLD MEDAL WINNER GOES ON. What Crap!

handymike

#13 YOU SAID IT!

Butterfly

So, Michael Phelps apologized. Too bad he came to that point to begin with.

goatboy

Right on Mike, sorry for your troubles. Chill now.

Kate

What a joke. They arrest the other people connected to the situation, but not him because he swam in a pool on T.V. This country is so corrupted.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments