« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

No Pot Charges

for Phelps

2/16/2009 5:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Michael PhelpsThe ridiculously stupid Michael Phelps pot investigation is finally over.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said today he was not going to charge Michael Phelps over that photo of him smoking a bong.

The photo was taken at a party in November when Phelps visited the University of South Carolina. Sheriff Lot defended his investigation by saying, "Michael Phelps is truly an American hero ... but even with his star status, he is still obligated to obey the laws of our state."

Eight other people were arrested in connection with the photo -- seven for possession and one for dealing.

UPDATE -- On his Facebook page, Michael Phelps released this statement: "I'm glad this matter is put to rest. But there are also some important lessons that I've learned. For me, it's all about recognizing that I used bad judgment and it's a mistake I won't make again. For young people especially -- be careful about the decisions you make. One bad decision can really hurt you and the people you care about. I really appreciate the support my family and fans have shown me and now I will move forward and dive back into the pool, having put this whole thing behind me."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

sweet sue

I am so tired of hearing about pot cases. Legalize it, tax it and get on with it. Who cares if he is smoking pot. For God's sake, with all the problems we have in this country, cannabis is the least of our worries. Balance our budget and tax it. Stop the police waisting our time and theirs, free up our prisons for violent offenders, and get more jobs to people by growing, harvesting, transporting, taxing, and accounting for what is growen. GIVE US ALL A BREAK AND GIVE IT A REST!!!

john

Unreal those that complain about the illegality of POT??? Darn shame too, that people have to turn to DRUGS tin attempts to exit the real world, even if temporarily!! Here we are a nation in TROUBLE, and you truly believe that drugs like marijuana aren't even partly to blame?? IT IS SMOKE?? Do you really think you have a convincing arguement in the legalization of POT by saying INHALING SMOKE IS "GOOD" FOR YOU?? That it's "not a big deal"?? Look at the healthcare blunder. CANCER HAPPENS... not always by smoking, but it's a known FACT that smoking CAN and DOES lead to CANCER!! Pot DOES NOT cure ANYTHING. Simple point is YOU DO IT TO GET HIGH!!! It's a BUZZ.. it's a euphoria... AN ADDICTION! All the healthcare costs involved in this ADDICTION .. including my OWN tax dollars toward LUNG MACHINES to aid people in breathing because of a nasty addiction to smoking!! Telling anyone to smoke anything, is comparable to asking them to stand in the middle of a forest fire?? How "healthy" would THAT be??

All the absolute PRESSURE put on smokers to quit.. taxes, segragated areas, COSTS, and you truly think that our nation as a whole would WANT TO LEGALIZE pot????! Guess they don't call the stuff DOPE for nothing! Another term used.. "getting wasted"?? Yea.. waste of time, waste of energy, waste of money, waste of brain cells, and a complete waste of any common sense.

Michael Phelps getting away with this, is much like Obama and his cabinet appointees getting away with NOT PAYING their TAXES!!! It's privileged WEALTH! I by no means "hate" Phelps.. I don't hate ANYONE... but he definately loses some points in the "respect" department. Anyone that does DRUGS FOR PLEASURE, goes down on my respectfulness scale.. because if you can't respect yourself,.. why should those around you respect you anymore than you do yourself.

Terry

Question I have is, Did he turn on the 8 others so that he would see no charges?

honesty

To think of our fore-fathers and what they would think. Thomas Jefferson would be so upset by this incident. Jefferson who grew the strange herb that the Native Americans used as medicine, and for recreation. Jefferson who would bring the dried leaves and bud to Franklin who had severe gout. Jefferson and Franklin would sit around the Congress in Phillie, smoking pot together during the congressional debates. Maybe our congress would work better if they smoked pot during their debates?

Nicole

Who gives a shi*t, let the man smoke bongs, IT NOT HURTING U ... IS IT?

Dan

it's pathetic parents who point out Phelps should be a role model. Parents should be role models; not some stranger they dont' even know..

Try parenting concerned parent posters, and maybe your children won't grow up so lousy.

sarah

well duh, stupid cop, you can not vuild a case on a picture, stupid stupid stupid!
what a waste of tax payer money too, stupid stupid stupid!!!!!
If pot heads are wasting space in jails while the let pedophiles and rapist out early because of crowding in jails, more stupidity.
Maybe the cop shpuld smoke a little weed and be less stupid!!!!!

blake

Those were some weak charges anyways. The sheriff was just going for him 5 minutes of fame and/or maybe trying to help with his reelection. I don’t see how you can arrest someone for a picture of them smoking out of a bong. There are too many ways to beat that charge. Moving past the legal issue It was a stupid move by him no matter how you look at it. He deserves to lose any endorsement deals. Didn’t he get a DUI a few years ago? Doesn’t seem like the best role model prior to this incident.

elainer7

Of course Phelps got off. The famous almost always do. The 8 who were arrested are totally unknown. Life isnt fair unless you are rich/famous.

Nikki

This is bull. How can you say that even though he's a "star" he is obligated to follow the laws like every other citizen in this country but then turn around and not charge him. Yet you will charge 8 other people in the photo and he's the one smoking it. No of course this isn't favortism because he can swim around in a circle and that makes him an American hero! My cat can swim in a circle, can he get a gold medal. I find is alarming that certain people, because of their "status" are above the law

Tana

COME ON, SHERIFF......

AS A NATIVE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, I AM ASHAMED THAT THIS CASE WAS TAKEN TO SUCH EXTREME.

FIRST OFF, MICHAEL PHELPS WAS VERY FRIENDLY WHEN HE CAME TO VISIT AT OUR LAST HOME GAME AT WILLIAMS BRICE STADIUM. THANKS TO SOME JACKA** THAT OBVIOUSLY WAS JEALOUS OF MICHAEL'S FAME, A SMEAR CAMPAIGN WAS STARTED TO RUIN HIS NAME AND HIS CAREER. AND WHILE MICHAEL WAS "GUILTY" OF HAVING A BONG TO HIS MOUTH, SO WERE THE PEOPLE WHO PROVIDED IT TO HIM THAT DAY!!! I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT MICHAEL CAME IN TO SOUTH CAROLINA LOADED WITH WEED AND I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT HE WASN'T HIGH THAT DAY THAT HE CAME TO THE GAME.

I SUGGEST THAT OUR TAX MONEY BE SPENT CLEANING UP THE STREETS WHERE THE "REAL" THUGS HANG OUT ON. THERE IS A PARTICULAR AREA OFF OF 1-20 IN COLUMBIA THAT I WOULDN'T DARE BE CAUGHT ALONE AT NIGHT IN, MUCH LESS IN THE DAYLIGHT HOURS. AND SINCE THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA WAS BROUGHT INTO ALL OF THIS, I WOULD BE MORE CONCERNED OF BEING KILLED BY A DRUNK DRIVER AFTER A FOOTBALL GAME THAN WORRYING ABOUT COLLEGE KIDS SMOKING WEED IN THE PRIVACY OF THEIR OWN PLACE. I GUESS THE SAYING IS TRUE ABOUT "ALCOHOL BEING MORE SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE THAN WEED".

AND FOR YOU PARENTS WHO SAY THAT MICHAEL ISN'T A ROLE MODEL FOR YOUR KIDS - FOR THE LAST TIME, YOU NEED TO GET OFF YOUR REAR END AND BE A ROLE MODEL FOR YOUR OWN KIDS!!!!! IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO SO, THEN YOU SHOULD NOT BE A PARENT!

ahayesxox

Honestly, I don't think this is right. Who knows if that was pot in the bong - but if this happened to a normal person, they would've gotten drug charges againest them. He's an Olympic Medalist - big deal. It's still wrong.

NatTurner

It wasnt POT, it was T leaves. Pot is only for people like Ricky Williams and Rasheed Wallace. Good old fashioned All-American white boys only smoke T-Leaves from out of a bong. How dare people assume something illegal was in the Pot bong. Dont they know we a running a perfectly good double-standard here and they are ruining it!

brad

honestly I don't even see why they had a legal right to arrest the other people , sure we all know its pot but you can't in a legal sense say it was, heck people smoke hooka out of bongs, the point being is its not enough evidence and it would erode our already NOT GREAT legal system.......

Derek

Suh-wheat!! Now I can go smoke a bowl and celebrate!! First, I'm gonna smoke two joints....then smoke two more!! Ever notice no one ever talks about a designated driver when there is marijuana to be had? My gf always drives when the liquor has touched my lips, but when I smoke a bowl or fatty, we just go...and I drive. She doesn't smoke, but she is the one that noticed I drive smoother and more relaxed after some ganja...funny, they smell alcohol on your breath when pulling you over for expired registration (not for driving bad), you get a FST and most likely go to jail for DUI, but you get pulled over and they smell weed, they usually let you go or worst comes to worst, take your keys so you can pick them up in the morn...most cops just don't want to waste time on this trivial thing....weed. When is the last time you saw a shirt being sold mainstream that portrayed shooting heroin or snorting coke, or smoking crack and people actually bought it??? Many weed shirts, no others. My favorite is the Pillsbury Dough boy on the front and under that it says....."Wake and Bake!!"... I'm gonna smoke two more.....I'm just saying

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments