The Best

Oscar Speech Ever

2/23/2009 11:45 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

"Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" -- Kunio Kato, winner of best animated short, said it ... NOT US.

videos

just me

TMZ...Gotta give it to ya...Its so funny! My husband and TMZ have made me laugh so much I cant breathe! Anyone else seem to think the Oscars suck the big one tonight!

AND THE WINNER IS..............

YELLOW RIVER BY I PEE DAILY

TRAILS IN THE SAND BY PETER DRAGGING

DeeDee

I wonder how many of those posters who criticized Mr. Kato's English could speak enough Japanese (Japan), Chinese (China or Taiwan), German (Germany), French (France), Italian (Italy), and on and on to be understood in the countries I just mentioned. Oh, and German will get you by in Austria; German, French and Italian can get you by in Switzerland.

I found his speech very well done and I enjoyed his "domo arigato, Mr. Roboto" comment.

It's sad how many people expect visitors to the US to speak English fluently, yet don't believe they should make an effort to speak the language of other countries (non-English-speaking) that they visit.

M

he spoke just as well as will smith just did..

Wow

Kudos to Hugh Jackman for hosting. He's doing a good job.

just me

Notice those Chinese Dumplings things one bite and that slippery ginger and garlic seasoned cardboard roll slips out!!! Maybe he can afford the real pork now!!!

drewby

ATTENTION ALL MORONS -

It is funny because that is the chorus of a famous song from the 80's by a band called STYX. The song is Mr. Roboto - hence the reason why that is funny.

IT IS NOT RACIST - HE WAS MAKING AN ATTEMPT AT AMERICAN HUMOR AND IT WAS FUNNY AS HELL

Danikajaye

Japanese and English are the furthest apart languages you can get and it can be very difficult for Japanese people to learn English. For example "L" doesn't exist in Japanese and the sentence structture is completely different- and to all the people saying to go home or learn better English- how many languages do you know? It's funny and good on him for giving it a go

Pam

OMG.....Can someone please teach these folks ENGLISH lessons.......They sound horrible.

February 20th 2009

For all you guys talking sh!t about this guy ... remember, he actually has an Oscar and y'all got sh!t

Lori (living in Japan)

Just to let you friggen Americans know that it took a lot of COURAGE for him to stand up there and at least try to say a few things in English. Having taught the language here for the last 10 years, and reading your comments I will definitely not be advising MY students or others to visit your country. And you think you are tolerant people!!

steve

in response to numbers 18 and 19 i see both of u cant read your flight back too japan is about too depart it would be wise if both of u were on the same flight as those too japs on the oscars that tmz is now making fun of we don't want u here go back too were u came from lol

domo arigato

I thought I heard him say "Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto " from that Styx song. That was hilarious!

namers

I thought he was endearing (best FOREIGN language, people) and his Styx reference was classic.

forune cookie

steve = Bakatare

hh

i loved his speech, he was very sincere, trying very hard,

AND HE HAS A KILLER SENSE OF HUMOR, WHICH IS MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR ANY OF THE RACIST D-BAGS WHO COMMENT ON HERE

If i read one more comment from someone complaining about those who can't speak fluent english....

WELL AS FAR AS I CAN READ, MOST OF YOU CAN'T EVEN SPELL MANY BASIC ENGLISH WORDS!!!

GET A FIRM GRASP ON ENGLISH, PLEASE, OR STOP WASTING THE TIME OF THOSE OF US WHO ARE ACTUALLY...

*GASP*

...LITERATE!!!!!!

idiots idiots idiots. watch Idiocracy, the dialogue of the characters will certainly make you feel justified and RIGHT AT HOME.

I HATE YOU BIGOTED MORONS. COMPLETE DINGLEBERRIES!
GET A LIBRARY CARD OR GET A NEW COUNTRY. CALL IT DINGLEBERRYLAND, AND POPULATE IT WITH TURDS LIKE YOURSELF. MY CAT'S TURDS ARE MORE WELL-FORMED THAN YOUR NARROW, TINY BRAINS!!!

PLEASE AND THANKS.