Brown Wants Misdemeanor Plea, No Jail Time

3/9/2009 6:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chris Brown ExclusiveSources tell TMZ Chris Brown would cop a plea, but only to a misdemeanor and with no jail time. After we broke the story yesterday AM it has triggered a passionate public reaction.

We're told Brown's people have consulted with outside legal eagles -- including law school professors -- who have said Rihanna's own aggressiveness takes it out of the felony category. Sources say Rihanna was the first one to strike -- slapping and striking Brown "numerous times" while he was drivΩing, after seeing the text message from another woman. And Rihanna was fighting Brown as he punched and hurt her. We're told much of this is reflected in the official police report based on what Rihanna told cops. As a result, they say, this is not a case that demands a felony plea.

On the other side, there are plenty of cases in which the woman engages the man in a fight but the jury convicts the male because it was an unfair fight and the man could have walked away. The photographs of Rihanna -- the most graphic of which have not been seen by the public -- demonstrate Brown's superior strength. Add to that the fact that Brown had no significant injuries and it presents problems for him.

Perhaps worse for Brown, sources tell TMZ Rihanna told cops he had beaten her before and the violence had been escalating.

And there's this. According to the detective's note filed with the search warrant papers, Brown sent a text message to Rihanna's assistant in which he apologized for what he had done to Rihanna and said he was getting help. That would be admissible in court and extremely damaging -- as a legal admission.

ASF

Paris Hilton did jail time because it was NOT her first DUI. She was already in trouble with the BMV and she just thumped her nose up at them. And her own mother laughed in court when the judge gave her jail time. Because she thought they had enough connections to get the judge in trouble. Now when have you ever heard of Chris having any legal trouble - You haven't. There's been no sex tapes on the internet, there's been no need for rehab, there's been no bulimia or anorexia or other emotional problems - the kids been squeaky clean. Rihanna's obsession with him and him trying to juggle singing, writing, acting, producing, dancing and a relationship - that's just too much for any one person. So they have both got to come to some healthy conclusions to move their lives forward. And the public needs to stay out of it and stop judging. DId TOmmy lee do time for beating on Pamela Lee??

Disgusting

NEUTER HIM

battered wife

this is a joke another man getting away with beating the you know what out of his girlfriend physical violence in a relationship should never be tolerated ever. I think every man that hits a woman should get jail time. Physical violence only gets worse is starts with a slap then a punch then you get your rearend handed to you and then broken bones and then a fractured skull ask me i have gone through it all my husband in now in jail serving 15 to life for attempted murder i was a smart one and realized he wouldnt stop. Every woman out there who is reading this please be strong if a man hits you throw him in jail and never talk to him again, regardless of your situation i had been married for 5 years had three children with my husband and didnt know i was pregnant with my fourth child when he literally beat me within inches of me losing my life.

Txbeauty

It would be an absoulute travesty if he is to serve jail time for this. Not only was this his first time ever in trouble, but Rhianna said herself in the police report that she engaged and even started the fight. I do believe Chris should get probation and at least some kind of work detail or anger management classes but he absolutely does Not deserve to go to jail! People are so rediculous! Get a life

Txbeauty

Clearly Chris will have to pay for what he did, but serving time in jail sounds a bit outragious especially when Rhianna stated in the police report that she engaged in the fight and hit him first. Everyone who is anyone knows that Rhianna is a super diva and always has to have her way...she probubly put her hands on him one too many times and this time he decided enough is enough! You cant hit a man and expect him to not hit you back, thats a given. I

BRASIL

Cara o chris brow e um idiota !! = Chris Brown and an idiot!

eu amo tmz....

no.b.s.

NO!!!! CHRIS CAN'T GO TO JAIL!!!! YA'LL VOTE FOR HIM AND RIHANNA AT THE KIDS CHOICE AWARDS

Tiger Tale

I told this girlfriend that we were done and before I could react, she kicked me in the balls, I doubled over and she picked up this vase and smashed it over my head. I fell back against the wall and she picked up this clay flute and smashed it into my ribs which I heard a few break. I was barely able to grab her and put her into a bear hug and hold her while she tried to bite my arms. I knew better than to fight back because I knew whose fault it would have been in the eyes of the cops. Women always think domestic violence does not apply to them. Something tells me this is only round 1 in the coming year.

Fred

Hey, #152 asdfg

Everything you said about Paris is wrong, check your facts

Disgusting

What a lowlife. He's slutting around and beating up on her, and he has the nerve to say she provoked HIM with some dumb car keys? He's obviously a two timing liar. If he wants to slut around, he should break up with her instead of being a sneaky liar. It's not like they're married with kids. If she were the one cheating, all the idiots would be whining she's a cheating whore blah blah. He's a cheating whore. Works both ways. Maybe people will learn not to believe phony celebrity images created by publicists. They'll break up and some dumb girl will take her place as the next victim. Rihanna's career will take off, his is done.

brenda

This little turd is lying. She did not start the fight because it was not a fight. It was an assault on an innocent girl. He should be put away so he doesn't carry out his threat of killing her.

No surprise that they are saying she started it, they all say that when faced with consequences of such violent actions.

He will do it again and eventually kill...

this is typical of monsters who beat women...

Disgusting

#160, Women on men violence is suuuuuch a global epidemic. ROTFL. Sell your "story" somewhere else

Fred

To my way of looking at this, the prosecutor only needs to show blown up pictures of her to the jury and tell them Chris did this to her. Her testimony is not needed to convict him. He is looking at Prison time if the judge is severe and jail time if she is not. The expression used to put Hulk Hogan’s son in jail for 8 months was “some period of incarceration is necessary”. He needs to spend at least six months in jail or 18 in prison and letting him off the felony charge is wrong.

Look at what was done to Paris, what they tried to do to Britney, the sweet deal that Lindsay and Nicole got from this same prosecutor and you will know that it is not over until it is over.

My vote is eight months in jail, 3 years of probation, and mandatory psycho babble.

Ella

First of all ASDFG, that was Paris's FIRST DUI. Second, Tommy Lee did serve jail time for what he did. And just because you don't like Paris, how she became famous, or what her life is about doesn't mean someone she was more deserving of jail time then Chris is. And as for him "juggling so much" as you put it, I could CARE LESS. A LOT of people in this world juggle a lot of things (with a lot less money in their bank accounts), but don't turn violent to handle their problems.

justice

I was all for Rihanna due to the affidavit that the police filed. However now that I think about it we all only heard her side. Now that we are hearing more of Chris side it sounds like he was trying to stop the madness. RiRi stated he tried to push her out the car when he pulled over but she had her seatbuckle on. This had to be after she was hitting him while he was driving so he tried to get her out the car. That answers most of your questions on why didnt he just walk away if she hit him. Okay its my car and your hitting me, then you better get out. Sounds reasonable right? She didnt want to get out thats why she kept her seatbelt on. I cant wait to hear both sides...RiRi obviously told her side one-sided. We all do so lets not forget they are human and we all tell our side how we see it. The affidavit from the notes taken from her did not once say that she struck him first, or was fighting him while he was driving. We seem to forget our wrongs when we are in tough situations.

Everybody calling him names or just plain out right convicting him are cleary only hearing a one-sided story. They both definitely should be held accountable for their actions. I feel sorry for all you peaple who are sexist and believe it doesnt matter he is the only one in the wrong.