Jackie Mason: Obama's a "Schwartza"

3/15/2009 2:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jackie MasonComedian Jackie Mason used what some say is a racial epithet in describing President Barack Obama during his act Thursday night, infuriating at least several people in the crowd.

During a performance at Feinstein's at Loews Regency in NYC, Mason referred to Obama as a "schwartza" -- some say it's equivalent to the "N" word -- others say it's just part of the Yiddish culture and a literal translation of the word "Black."

We're told one person walked out fuming, "He's more offensive to the Jews than Madoff tonight."

We spoke with Mason by phone a few minutes ago, and he was outraged at the criticism, saying, "I'm not going to defend myself. Chris Rock has told a lot more jokes about whites than I have against Blacks. What about the demeaning words Blacks say about Jews?"

Mason added, "If it's a racist society, the white people are the ones being persecuted because they have to defend themselves." Mason called people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson "professional racists."

Mason added, "I'm an old Jew. I was raised in a Jewish family where 'schwartza' was used. It's not a demeaning word and I'm not going to defend myself."

And there was this parting shot: "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living."

UPDATE:
Rev. Al Sharpton just sent us this statement:

"At this stage in Jackie's life and career he should get our prayers more than our responses. It is sad that maybe he forgot he used the same term against Mayor David Dinkins when he was elected the first African-American Mayor of New York City and got in trouble for it. As for him attacking me, maybe he forgot that he has had me on his TV show and has taken me to dinner and commended me for forgiving a white male who tried to kill me by stabbing me while I was leading a non-violent march. I'm sure Jackie just forgot."

RedBird

56. Keeping my brothers in place....keeping the black man down!!!!

Posted at 3:36PM on Mar 15th 2009 by Lyonel
____________________________________________________

L.M.A.O. How is Jackie keeping the black man down when all he said was the word "black?"

I would love to hear the explanation for this.

yessir

"First off I don't speak for white people because I'm not white. "

I didn't say you did. I guess you have problems reading. What you did do is is characterize the entire black race based on your ignorant stereotype.

"Second of all I grew up in a black neighborhood and went to a black high school and I can say"

So you can make absolute statements about the entire race? wow you are crazy. By that logic I can say you're a mass murderer because of the white races history of genocide i.e. native americans, holocaust, vietnam.

Disgusting

Right on! You tell 'em, Jackie. Black people have become the racists, and hold this country hostage where they can say any foul thing they want about anyone, but no one can say anything that is remotely interpreted as offensive to black people or that person's life will be ruined. Black people are not the only ones that have suffered discrimination or slavery, but they whine and scream like they are. In fact, many groups have suffered far worse for far longer (Jews, for example), and women are STILL slaves around the world today (to which many black men would say, "Yeah, bitch ho does what we tell her." Black people need to treat people the way they demand to be treated, and they need to help themselves and stop the whining and constant accusations and fighting. And stop telling everyone every two seconds that you're black. Watch any black comedian for example and they can't go two seconds without making some black reference. We get it. You're black.

ignorant

'''White ppl don't like any race that is different from them because ur afraid. and its the truth. America isnt the land of the free and home of the brave...this place was founded by thieves and rapist that the British didnt want. You guys have a lot of blood on your hands so you should feel targeted when the word racist is brought up. U created it.'''

Oh yea, let's hold the whites of today responsible for sh!t that happened hundreds of years ago..Dumb@SS

Lyonel

Yes I am black, and make a good living. I just like to say this phrase to people as a joke.
"Gets'm all enraged!" I just don't care what Mason says or does. But TMZ sure gets a kick out of making
this big deal from it all. I think in their own little way, that TMZ likes to incite racial tensions. After all, this never made
broadcast news. Just more trash from the "Masters"

UNBELIEVABLE

Posted at 3:44PM on Mar 15th 2009 by yessir

Yessir - you are a big racist. I guess we could say blacks are new born and toddler rapist because that is what is going on in Africa. Poor young children are being raped left and right and are being mutilated. You are crazy by your logic.

MsDoloD81

I don't think him using a Jewish term for black is racist st all....its the comments he made to TMZ that makes him sound like a racist; "I'm more talented than Oprah Winfrey and look at how much she makes. I can't even make a living." WTF type of comment is that?? Is Oprah holding the guy back from getting a job????

yessir

"
Oh yea, let's hold the whites of today responsible for sh!t that happened hundreds of years ago"

Yes segregation, police brutality against blacks (sean bell), Jena 6 was hundreds of years ago LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David

I agree with Mr. Mason. Oprah Winfrey-talent? What talent. She sits on her fat ass and drones on with whiney women and gay men for an hour and asks them inane questions. Yes, that should get the Pulitzer. And before some of the blacks scream racist the same applies to Barbara Walters. How difficult can asking someone how they feel about dying or being raped be???? The reason they are uber rich is because of simpleton women (redundant) sitting there eating it up when they should be home cleaning their houses and watching their out of control kids instead of trying to "find their innner stupidness".

Alletis

I think it funny that some of you make your case either way by making derogatory remarks about the others. Kind of sad. I'm black and frankly do not care what he said, and should worry about other more important issues. Black comedians do make more racial remarks, sexist remarks and all kinds of other remarks and people laugh. Maybe if people stopped laughing everyone would stop making remarks. I do not think he should apologize. His opinion is really not all that important in the scheme of things

yessir

"I can say you're a mass murderer because of the white races history of genocide i.e. native americans, holocaust, vietnam." half of my statement

Posted at 3:44PM on Mar 15th 2009 by yessir

Why did you take that statement out of context? I said it would be wrong to say that just like its wrong to characterize the entire black race as one way. Is it that you can't read or you purposefully tried to misrepresent what I said??

yessir

FOR THE RECORD my entire statement before cooko edited it and posted it to make it seem like it was something it is not.

'So you can make absolute statements about the entire race? wow you are crazy. By that logic I can say you're a mass murderer because of the white races history of genocide i.e. native americans, holocaust, vietnam- my statement before cooko chopped it up to change its meaning

UNBELIEVABLE

Posted at 3:54PM on Mar 15th 2009 by yessir

Because that is exactly what you are doing. By saying those awful things. Did you read all you blogs? I won't be rude and ask you if you can read. I'll leave the rudeness to you.

Lisa

Still goes to show there are still very small minded people in this country and they all read and post on this site. No race is perfect and of course he won't defend himself, he should be ashamed of himself. Knowing his people's history and the history of African Amercicans, he should maybe join Chris Rock and others making fun of white people. Don't jump on the wrong band wagon, because one all of us are gone, they will kick your Jewish ass off. If white people woke up one day and found that everybody else were gone and that they were all alike, they would have new predjudices by noon. White people don't steal and kill each other. But all of the little white kids being abducted raped and killed by white men not black, hispanic, or asian men. So to the idiots that think only blacks are violent, pick up a real newspaper or look at the news. Maybe the hanger you are using for an antennae doesnt work in your trailer park.

Dikephobic

Bout time someone spoke the truth. The race card is getting old. Over used and taken advantage of. People are starting to get really SICK of it.