Elvis Presley's Bird Murder Poem Up for Sale

3/17/2009 10:02 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Like a mirror image of Elvis Presley's life, this poem written by the King of Rock 'n' Roll starts with promise and then ends in sudden, unforeseen tragedy.

Elvis Presley
The handwritten poem -- which is part of the massive Elvis auction going on at gottahaverockandroll.com -- is called "Ode to a Robin," and was sometimes recited by Elvis on stage and at one point was used as the answering machine message at his home.

Presley's poem could be yours for a hunka, hunka change -- an estimated 4-5 thousand bucks.

Fun fact: We're told former President Bill Clinton has ordered a catalog for the sale.

Blkshepherd

i did not like the poem as I am against killing animals unless threatened. I found no humor in it. Where do they get these cost figures? four or five thousands for a freakin violent poem by a man strung out on drugs? This man is not god why do they worship him so? He was Just a man, with issues just like anyone else. Yet anything he ever touch is worth thousands of dollars? I dont get this at all. Now i was a fan of early Elvis(probably the only black man who loved elvis 1956(my birth year) to about 1962. after that he went south when the beatles and supremes exploded on the scene. But jeesh folks. let elvis rest in peace and Stop making money off this dead man? How much money is Elvis getting? NONE. his estate wife daughter and grand kids is NOT the same as elvis. therefore I dont think they should be getting New money either. Use that money to find a cure for Cancer, AIDS, instead of making his family richer and richer and richer. elvis is not benefiting from any of this because he is DEAD. also I believe whoever is selling elvis mementos is achieving quite a profit..probably pocking sum of the revenue. Damn thieves.

Howard Robard Hughes IIV

Everypne knows that howard hughes and elvis worked for the CIA.They all died in the cold war after sal mineo was killed john lennon offered a 10,000 reward.Howard Hughes`s died within a few months of SAL mineo.The mobster who was in the states many many times illegally said he killed the kennedys and he was from a russian tied mobster clan.He was found in a 55 gal container in the gulf and he been in there a while.It was said hughes had him offed.Sal mineo was a code word for? and he was killed by a teenager by switchblade...which was what sal`s handle was.TMZ should find the guy that killed SAL as he was only in jail a few years and there is no public pixs of him.There is also no public pixs of stan hugh-fox studio head that marryied my mother jean peters.COMMUNISTES robert wagner and jean peters worked to stop the mormon howard hughes`s my father.COMMUNIST pix togather by peters/wagner put them both out of any real work forever but for fox which was used to make the real life satelliteNET and radio and tower cams/plus earth mics movie of howard robard hughes IIV lifelong since 1964.The real truman show.FOX used BILLY T ORR for casting and writting and so on.EVLIS hated the reds as much as most did.Dad tryed to make peace after WWIII space war in space STARFISH PRIME than came the space peace accords and DAD also slowed the atomic clock he had set in atomic city.

Howard Robard Hughes IIV

Thats why ELVIS fell so fast.He copyied the blue`s/rock banned bands(BLACK) and when they leap fog him he was done.No where to go with his music...it was over to him on meds.He could have went over seas and reinvented himself but the bucket would`nt have it.He was a nice person who helped many and made more money after he was dead and that is why he is still alive.His wife ran a frat scam on him but he had given up years ago before he left the country.

CLMWSQ

Is this for real? If so it totally changes my opinion of him.

JAMES BROWN

KILLING BIRDS IS SICK

Winsome Davis III

Both Presley and Lennon were deep-seated sociopaths.
R.I.P. L & P.

LongJohn69

Coulda live forever without seeing this.

What do you look like?

I have never understood the hysterical Elvis worship. He was a not-too-bright pretty boy with an ok voice.

Kay

Uh...... I don't think this guy wrote any of his song lyrics.

PolarBear

Elvis Presley brought Vegas theatrics to music. That's all he did. Don't anyone think he was an original, he was a marketing rep, that's it, that's all. I don't particularly admire his approach. I think he was out to make fun of the culture, make fun of people's troubles and just be superfluous all around. It sold records because he was so animated, but excitement isn't "quality", it's cheap thrills. CHEAP THRILLS! Fine, if you need some distraction once in a while, go for it, but taking Elvis seriously is SILLY!

Deb

4. Not sure whether inspired by Elvis or vice-versa, but I learned a similar short verse more than 40 years ago, which presaged nothing:
A little bird
With a yellow bill
Sat upon my window sill
I coaxed it near with bits of bread
And then I crushed its f*cking head

Posted at 2:19AM on Mar 17th 2009 by squilla

I learned it in the Air Force as a cant; we used to march to it all the time.

evie brezo

THIS IS NOT ORIGINAL. IT WAS A POEM RECITED ON THE LAUGH-IN SHOW IN 1969 BY ARTIE JOHNSON. ELVIS WASN'T CREATIVE ENOUGH TO WRITE THIS. I HAVE BEEN TELLING THIS LIMERICK FOR 40 YEARS.

Im right

Ambrose Bierce wrote this poem

ENOUGH OF THIS CRAP

that is an old poem.

Michael Madsen

I recently read a great novel about Elvis coming back from the world beyond. He possesses a Chicago ad executive. Very funny and very insightful Elvis stuff.
It's called: SHAKIN' E. I found it on Amazon.com.

FYI Elvis and reading fans.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments