« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Angels Pitcher Adenhart Killed After Ball Game

4/9/2009 11:49 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

TMZ has learned Los Angeles Angels starting pitcher Nick Adenhart was killed in a felony hit-and-run car accident in Fullerton, California early this morning -- hours after he pitched in a game last night.

Nick Adenhart: Click to watch
Cops say someone driving a minivan blew through a red light, causing the Mitsubishi that Adenhart and three others were riding in to hit a light pole. Three of the four people in the Mitsubishi were killed in the crash -- Nick, another man and a woman -- while the fourth person remains in the hospital.

Cops say the person driving the van fled the scene -- but was later caught and charged with felony hit-and-run. The suspect is also being treated for injuries in a local hospital.

We're told one of the other men killed in the crash was also affiliated with the Angels organization.

Nick was 22 years old.

FYI -- Nick pitched his ass off last night, striking out 5 guys in 6 scoreless innings. His performance was hailed by sportswriters as a "brilliant effort by a 22-year-old right-hander making his fourth Major League start."

Story developing...

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

David Cervantes

man what a tragedy! all my prayers to the family and friends!

Dee

So senseless, prayers to their loved ones.

racegirl

How come I cant find this info on any other web page? Its not even on the angels site

What the

Wow Lucy... I can't you put a comment like that at this time.

Hal

Has this been confirmed? I can't find this story anywhere else but TMZ and I've been searching. Very sad either way, just find it strange that no one else is reporting it.

Jess is a butterface

That completely sucks. I hope they throw the book at the driver for leaving the scene. Like another poster said, probably a drunk driving incident. Way too young to die.

nelly forbush

Horrible news, so sad, so young, so much unfulfilled potential. My sympathies to his family.

Lindsay

this is very heartbreaking :( god bless his family and friends at this time... R I P

don don

RIP ... and yes LUCY, you should be strung up for that BS.

WoWzers

I haven't seen this any where else either...

So %^&*ing Sad!!!

Madonna

HE ISN'T DEAD. IF HE WERE MLB AND/OR THE ANGELS WOULD MENTION IT ON THEIR WEBSITES.....NOTHING AT 11:30 AM EASTERN.... LIKE SO MANY THINGS TMZ SEEMS TO HAVE GOT THEIR FACTS WRONG.

Amanda

It is in the Los Angeles times online-http://www.latimes.com/

stopthenickhate

I cannot believe this happened! I went and looked it up and he was only 22! :( How sad! I know exactly where that's at cause we always go to Sonic drive thru! so its sad as heck to hear this and I heard he pitched a great game last night! I'm a Dodgers fan but do send me condolences to the Adenhart family and all send the condolences to the families of the others who died! It's a sad day is Angels history!

GMan

KTLA covered this at the top of the news at 6 am, but didn't mention the Angels angle. Wonder if this is true...

MelBelle

Again, this news has not been confirmed on any other website. I think ESPN and SI would be on top of it if that is the case.

I pray that A) Somehow, TMZ got their facts mixed up and are wrong. or B) that the family was informed of this trragedy before TMZ posted it. If they posted this before the family was broken the news, then shame on you!