Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday

4/11/2009 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ObamaWe have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.

The dog pictured below (right) is the actual dog the Obamas will be getting, courtesy FirstDogCharlie.com.

Launch photos

Pam

This is HEARTBREAKING that the Obamas are not getting a rescue dog!!! DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE BEAUTIFUL, LIFE-LOVING ANIMALS IN SHELTERS DIE!! I knew it had to be too good to be true that we would have compassion for homeless animals in the White House!

FirstDogCharlie

I gave them this story. What they do not have yet is the picture of the dog. You can see it tonight at firstdogcharlie.com

Terri

Marina 56...lighten up will you.....

Holly

What does the pirate situation have to do with Obama? It's a sad story and all but if you are trying to insinuate something negative about Obama then go elsewhere. Obama is monitoring the situation. There are 3 navy ships there. Do you want him to go there personally and get the hostage himself?

Unlike past presidents, Obama can multitask.

freedomisnotfree

Its funny how dogs look like there owners .

el polacko

good grief ! does anyone really give a rat's patootie about the 'whitehouse dog' ?!?! this takes treating a politician like a celebrity another step too far.

TJFRMLA

I REALLY wish these nuts would stop aggravating American citizens about where and how they get their pets. I WISH some PETA psycho would throw something on my fur coat I worked to pay for of get in my face about my purebred Chihuahua.
I an a GROWN, TAX-PAYING, CITIZEN AND THESE NUTS NEED TO BE SMACKED DEAD IN THEIR MOUTH!!!!

Terri

Charlie...I am sure the dogs name is going to be AMABO.......OPRA-HARPO suggested it

Windsor Jane

Very disappointing. I am sure a rescue organization could have provided one that was in the doggy "penal system." I have two beautiful black labs who are rescues. You can't tell me that there wasn't a shelter that had one of these...

Berk

If the Prez had picked up the dog from a shelter most people would want to know
1. why he went to that shelter
2. why did he go to the fanciest shelter in the U.S.
3. why he didn't pick a dog from the ghetto/barrio
the list goes on and on. Malia comes first, the first family has to put her needs before you guys approval. I am sure this will be forgotten in a few months. Shall we move on?

susan

If it is really true that the Obama's are getting a dog from a Kennel/Breeder who was returned than this is NOT adopting a rescue dog in any sense of the word and I am very disappointed. Broken promise and for those of us who care about rescue and shelter dogs a huge disappointment. It is a semantics game and transparently so. I am a supporter, donor and ongoing volunteer for Obama and I am deeply disappointed. It wouldn't be an issue except they brought it up and they promised they would adopt and they are not adopting no matter what semantics game is played. Many homeless dogs would have been helped had they adopted. This changes alot for me.

Pam

Why would the gift rule come up? He makes $400,000 a year..he is allowed to buy his own dog..Oh wait..that's right..he will spend other peoples money! Silly me!

Carrys F.

To everyone wondering why they didn't get a dog from a shelter. Public schools were not good enough for their kids. A shelter for a dog??? Please.

Abby

Recieving the dog from the Kennedy's is hardly rescuing a dog from a shelter... President Obama promised so many "changes" when he was running for office, and we believed him as he did get elected. He also promised and pledged to adopt a dog from a shelter. Does he have any clue as to how many animals out there need homes and how many dogs don't have personal endorsements from the Kennedy's to adopt them? It is really troubling to see him go back on his word with this one.

Carrys F.

Will the kennel get bailout money?