Prez Pup Coming to Obama White House Tuesday

4/11/2009 10:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

ObamaWe have lots of exclusive details on the Portuguese Water Dog President Barack Obama and Michelle are getting for Sasha and Malia. The pooch will make its grand entrance on Tuesday, and it's coming from a prominent Texas kennel, with the help of Senator Ted Kennedy's family.

The black dog -- a male -- is approximately six months old. We've learned it was bred at the kennel and sold to someone who gave it back. The kennel is now "re-homing" the dog to the Obamas. The dog was named Charlie, but the Obamas will rename it.

Now here's where the Kennedys come into play. The kennel has sold the Kennedys three Portuguese Water Dogs in the past, all from the same lineage. The dog the Obamas will be getting is from the same lineage as the Kennedy dogs. The Kennedy family will be presenting the new dog to the Obamas, but it's really coming from the kennel.

The reason this all sounds so technical is that there are issues regarding gifts to the Prez. The fact that the pup is being re-homed makes it all kosher.

The dog pictured below (right) is the actual dog the Obamas will be getting, courtesy FirstDogCharlie.com.

Launch photos

jennifer

Who gives a Rats Ass?

malibu_chick

The dog moved into the white house the day Obama took office - it was his wife. This family is a joke and a disgrace to this country.

hmmm

If it's true, I hope the Obamas and the Kennedys eliminate the blabbermouth that gave TMZ this story. If you can't trust them with something this small I can only imagine what they would do with something important.

hmmm

#71 "IF, however, one believes that a shelter dog will not do for the Obama’s because Malia is allergic, THEN Obama SHOULD NOT have used the promise of rescuing a dog to obtain the vote of the humane community.""

---------------------------------

He never promised anyone that he would get a shelter dog, he said that he might. I don't know if you were just recently beamed onto planet Earth or what, but he didn't tell anyone "vote for me, im getting a shelter dog". He was asked -about the promise of getting a dog for his daughter several months after he made the comment and then he began to elaborate on how difficult it would be due to her allergic reaction. He said that the possibility of getting a shelter dog was always open and that was their preference. This happened at least a month or two after election day. People are allowed to change their mind. I'm sorry if you feel offended now that you've realised he can't save your family.

namers

Oh goody they're renaming the dog. Hope they'll use my book that I sent the day after he announced the Presidential Pooch.

www.NameThatPet.com

Oh, and re-homing is fine by me.

hmmm

Am I the only one that sees how petty it is to complain about where the dog comes from? I have really considered unregistering as a Democrat this week because the far left and their constant whining about every d*mn thing is driving me crazy. I had to ask myself if it's appropriate to label myself as one if they worry about such petty little things. Pretty soon the Independent party will be the biggest party because we - those that aren't far left or right- have no where to go. I can see why Republicans spew out such heat sometimes. Sure it would be nice if the Obamas rescued a dog, but have you noticed that since announcing the potential of them getting one, adoption hasn't gone up? If they adopt one dog only that one dog gets a better life the rest will just stay in cages. Lets focus on more important things like the wars and the economy.

JESS600

#80, Obama DID use the promise of adopting a rescue dog as a campaign promise. In Oct 2008, Michelle Obama went on Entertainment Tonight and announced that the family would adopt a rescue dog if Barack was elected. That is why the Obamas are trying to pretend that they are adopting this dog from a breeder.

“Obama Making Good on One Campaign Promise
November 5, 2008 : 6:11 PM”

“About a month ago, the announcement was made on Entertainment Tonight. Michelle Obama clearly stated an adopted dog would find its way into their family”

John

"They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation." - Jerome K. Jerome

John

I think finding that breed at a NO KILL RESCUE that specializes in them would have been the best.

Randy

Lexi...you're a retard...PETA is for homo's, and that dog is ass-ugly.

420 GIRL

test

docallen001

It is nice to see from the comments that many people just like to knock Obama and do not keep up on events or bother with facts. The breed picked was due to one of the girls having allergies, which is why this breed was identified as a good choice. However it is also a rare breed and when it was being discussed in the press, people observed it was unlikely that the Obama family would be able to get one via the rescue process. For those who think there are more important things for the President to be doing, I guess you are against family values. He made a commitment to his daughters to get them a dog. Most fathers know that a promise to your children is a promise that should not be taken lightly. I still hear from my children about an incident with a swimming poll that happened 30 years ago.

Grace

First I wanted to say who cares. Then I thought--you know he should really be adopting a dog from a no-kill shelter to set a good example to the rest of the world. This is a very expensive dog from a breeder. Not a great thing for the prez to do in our current state of economy, as well as, the dire over population of animals in the US. Typical Obama move--he can preach it but he can't do it.

eternalcanadian

Huh? That's gonna be the First Dog? Pffft. Not impressed. Now a Boston Terrier, they're so cute and playful, and small! That dog looks huge. And so much hair! Can you imagine the grooming and shedding hair?

hermine stover

Every time somebody takes a shelter dog they condemn a pure bred dog by a breeder to death!