Backstreet Boy Battles Demons in the Lion's Den

4/17/2009 11:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

For a guy who claims he's serious about staying sober -- why does recovering alcoholic A.J. McLean of the Backstreet Boys keep trekking back into the dangerously tempting Hollywood club scene!?!

AJ McLean -- click to play
Don't get us wrong, we're rooting for him to stay clean -- but for a guy who fell off the wagon just a couple of months ago (see: Key Club incident) -- maybe the bar he was at last night isn't the best place to kick it nowadays.

Remember the old saying -- when you play with fire, you get drunk.

Divashels

YA KNOW WHY WE THROW THINGS ON THE GROUND ? CAUSE WE PAY MORE FOR THEM SO IF YOU ARE A NON SMOKER SHUT THE HELL UP AND START CLEANING UP AFTER ME YOU AND YO MOMMA!!!!!!!!!!!

1961 days ago

tlynn

17. WHY DO SMOKERS THINK IT'S OK TO THROW THEIR BUTTS ON THE GROUND? DAMN LITTERERS!

SAME REASON PEOPLE WALK THEIR DOGS & LET THEM PISS & SH*T ON OTHER PEOPLES LAWNS!!! THEY THINK IT'S THEIR RIGHT! IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY FOLKS!!

1961 days ago

Anna J.

Not sure what he was exactly up to in there, but, I do know this. They are in town recording for the new album. New single in mid-june!!!! Are you kidding me!!! That soon!!! OMG! YAY! (I thought they said July, but you can never be too sure with AJ) Either way I'm excited.

1961 days ago

Karma

Very hard to believe thar he has ever been sober. its the harsh reality...im not hating on him im actually a fan, but come on AJ who are you trying to fool? Most BSB fans are either too innocent, ignorant or immature to see what the real deal is. He said it himself the only one to blame for his "past" alcoholism and drugs abuse is himself... so u guys should save your crocodile tears and stop blaming it on "hollywood".

1961 days ago

James

I'm so happy bsb is releasing new music!

1961 days ago

paul giamatti guy

hey guess what....hes not that old, or to old to be clubbing .......and hes doing just fine.

1961 days ago

luna85

I'm gonna jump on the I Support AJ band wagon. I backed him then and I'm gonna to it now.

1961 days ago

A legitimate post on TMZ

What a great sentence TMZ "Don't get us wrong, we are rooting for him" - the paparazzi has nothing but the best of intentions for the celebrities - now don't get me wrong, the dimwits - Paris, Lindsay, Brittany etc are train wrecks and actively looking for a photo opportunity of their antics - and in 10 - 20 years will look at it and realize they made a fool out of themselves

But call it what it is - the prayer of every pap is that they will have the first photo of one of these really troubled individuals such as - ending up naked in a pile of trash chanting some jibberish, trying to lift a bus, robbing a liquor store

1961 days ago

Sarah

I'm so proud of A.J. After seeing the Incident at Nick's bday party was sad for me. I met A.J. in Aug of 2007 and he's the sweetest person ever. I got a chance to talk to him and to say that I always support him. Out of the backstreet boys the one that surprised me the most in the nicest personalities was A.J. I met Brian twice and he is a down to earth person. The boys are soo nice! I hope A.J. gets better.

1961 days ago

lauren

I really hope AJ is trying to stay sober. It would be so sad to see him go down that awful road of alcoholism again. I just got done reading Backstreet Mom, which chronicles the Backstreet Boys' rise to fame and AJ's downward spiral. I really hope he can get his life back on track and stop going to bars again.

On a side note: I am sooo excited for their new single/album! KTBPA!

1961 days ago

Amanda

I can't wait for his CD!

1956 days ago

BSB Foverver

AJ DOES NOT STAND FOR THAT!!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM FINE BUT DON'T MAKE S***** COMMENTS LIKE THAT. I HOPE THAT HE GETS SOBER AND SHOWS EVERYONE THAT HE CAN DO IT. I HOPE THAT HE DOES IT FOR HIMSELF AND KNOWS THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE ROUTING FOR HIM AND BELIEVE IN HIM. I HOPE THAT HE ALSO KNOWS THAT IF HE FINDS THAT BEING IN THIS BUSINESS IS CAUSING HIM PROBLEMS WITH STAYING SOBER THAT WE WOULD SUPPORT HIM IF HE LEFT. I WOULD RATHER SEE HIM SOBER AND LIVE THAN THE ALTERNATIVE. HE IS SUCH A WONDERFUL PERSON. HE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY AND WONDERFUL TALENT. NOT JUST IN HIS SINGING BUT IN HE CREATIVELY AS WELL. MUCH LOVE TO YOU AJ AND DON'T LISTEN TO PEOPLE AND THERE NEGATIVE COMMENTS. BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW THERE A** FROM THERE ELBOW.

1955 days ago

beverly

why the hell are u talking bad about aj hes trying and ill suport him anyway i can GET BETTER AJ

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2