Bea Arthur Dies at 86

4/25/2009 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bea ArthurA family spokesman for Bea Arthur says the actress has died.

Spokesman Dan Watt says Arthur had cancer, but did not offer any further details. Arthur passed away at home early this morning.

Arthur is most well-known for her roles in "The Golden Girls" and "Maude."

Rue McClanahan who played Blanche Devereaux on "The Golden Girls" issued the following statement about Bea's passing to TMZ: "37 years ago she showed me how to be very brave in playing comedy. I'll miss that courage and I'll miss that voice."

firebaby

R.I.P Bea...

i still can't resist the urge to watch my "golden girls" when i flip thru the channels... wow, just the other day i was watching on YT about estelle getty after she passed... prayers for her family...

T-in-SD

A true legend, a class act, wonderfully talented woman! She's joining her Ma! (aka Estelle Getty) in heaven.

houstonray

Awww, darn, this makes me sad because I realize we have now lost 2 of the four of them (Estelle Getty's passing last summer)...

What a funny lady, Maude, Golden Girls and everything else...Thanks for the memories!!

Skeptic H.

RIP Bea Arthur.. You will be greatly missed,..I can't believe it.. I know she was 86 but it still caught me off guard.. I didn't even know she was sick? Her and Estelle died a few months shy of a year of each other.

qrpaul

RIP thanks for the many years of entertainment!

Bally

What an awesome woman. She'll be missed. RIP Bea.

parishilton

She was so awesome, I didn't know she was so ill. RIP to a great lady.

Mark

Wow, we all lost a great girl, a great actress. So sad to see her death today

K

I am sure she would say...I'm dead...move on...so long suckers...and have a laugh...
She was amazing...

Stephanie

So very sad....I really liked her in everything I saw her in -- from Mame to Maude to The Golden Girls. Make then laugh in heaven, Bea. You will be missed.

ender

One of the best possible humans ever. Right up there with Meryl Streep.

Wow

Thank you for being a friend...

Tink44

God Blass you! You made me laugh when the rest of the world made me cry. Thank you for the Golden Girls!

Terri

May you rest among the angels and make them laugh as you have us.

Jorge in Miami

Rest in peace "Cindy Lou Peeples", and that you for being a beautiful Friend!