Bea Arthur Dies at 86

4/25/2009 4:38 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Bea ArthurA family spokesman for Bea Arthur says the actress has died.

Spokesman Dan Watt says Arthur had cancer, but did not offer any further details. Arthur passed away at home early this morning.

Arthur is most well-known for her roles in "The Golden Girls" and "Maude."

Rue McClanahan who played Blanche Devereaux on "The Golden Girls" issued the following statement about Bea's passing to TMZ: "37 years ago she showed me how to be very brave in playing comedy. I'll miss that courage and I'll miss that voice."

jan

My deepest sympathy goes out to the family & friends of this great lady & wonderful actress. She brought me so much joy from watching her over the years. Know in your sadness that you will one day be together again. God bless & give you comfort.

Ree

I's so upset, I love and grew up with the Golden Girls and was just as upset when Estelle passed away. My condolences to her family and friends, a true star of the stage and television has left us.

Joanne

RIP Bea Arthur. I loved her in "The Golden Girls" when it first came out and now, too. My deepest condolences to her family and friends. I felt like a friend, too, even though I never met her.. I believe she will be re united with Estelle Getty. Both are classics and will never be forgotten..

stop the madness

Go into the golden light golden girl.You made older ladies feel proud.Gave us all a laugh when we needed most.Archie and Maude together again!!!lol "Thank you for being a Friend"

Walter

Hopefully,she will look better dead than alive.

BigDaddy

I hope the other gals from the show come to her funeral. Unlike when Estelle pasted away, and none of them came. Thank you for being a freind?

friend

A comedic pioneer... thank you Bea

Michael

Another Golden Girl Gone. Very sad day for the entertainment industry and for all of Bea's fans. I will miss you, Bea.

Clare

Bea you were truly one of the best on TV and will be deeply missed! You and Estelle are probably making them all laugh in heaven! R.I.P Golden Girl!!!

Money Talks

Adieu ma beauté. I'll never forget you and the wonderful moments I spent in your company. Hope everything is bright and peaceful for you on the other side of life, you deserve to R.I.P. after all the good you have given people with your talent.

Dan

Rest in peace Bea,
You were an inspiration.
This cake's for you.

davidbrown

Bea Arthur was a tremendous talent that no one can ever duplicate. I loved her on Maude and again on The Golden Girls. She was one of a kind and tv will never been the same without her.

RIP, Ms. Arthur. I shall miss you forever...

Woody McBreairty

I worked on a "Golden Girls" show sometime in the 80's playing a hotel desk clerk.
Pleasant experience meeting the "Golden Girls".
I have always wondered about the strange way the other "Golden Girls" reacted when Estelle Getty was sick and the real reason none of them attended her funeral. It's all very strange...I assume the real story will come out eventually.

angel41593

Thanks for the wonderful years of laughter you shared with us...you will truly be missed and remembered as a "golden girl"
RIP Bea Arthur

supermom76

This is really sad. I watch the Golden Girls every morning while I'm getting ready for school. Even my kids watch that show. Althought the show takes place in the late 80's early 90's it still makes me laugh. She was a great actress, I'm sure she'll be missed. On the bright side, we'll always have Dorothy Zbornak and the Golden Girls. R.I.P Bea.....