Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments

Kate

I am saddened by the death of a great entertainer but I am saddened even more by the vile, idiotic and even mean comments left by some very rude people ... ZombieHeathLedger, 5Quart Freddy, avm, your name:, 2LiveCrew,NuMbnuts, sandy underpants, dis ... and the numerous others that were so cruel and hateful with their comments. You need to get a life. I feel so sorry for you people ... but I am even more sorry to think that the family and friends of Danny Gans may see all these awful things you have said ... I take it upon myself to apologize to them on your behalf. I pray to the Creator of us all that he will help the family and friends of Danny Gans get through this trying time in their lives. Bless you.

1913 days ago

gansfan

I had heard he recently had surgery and was recovering, and it might have had something to do with his back. He could have died from a blood clot related to this.

1912 days ago

Seansta

"2. First" FAIL!!!!!!!!!

1908 days ago

Kathleen L

My husband and I saw Danny's last show on the Wed. before he died. It was eery to hear the news that he had passed away in his sleep in the wee hours of Friday morning. This is truly a shock and such a loss - his show was absolutely fantastic!!! Funny, entertaining...he really put 100& into his shows - he talked about his family and how he used to travel 200 days out of the year to build his career. He showed a picture that his son drew of the family when he was little and it showed Daddy in an airplane in the sky...strange now to think of the reference to his death. He actually played overtime in what is now his last show...he appeared healthy and vibrant. I am very interested to follow this to hear about what actually killed him and I am very sad for his wife - how horrible that must have been for her. RIP Danny - you may be gone, but will never be forgotten! I'm so happy we had a chance to see him when we did...you never know the minute...

1908 days ago

T H

I am shocked and so sad to hear that Danny has passed- just found out moments ago. I've seen him perform twice and his talent was amazing. Danny's performances (at least the two that I saw) were clean and family friendly. I've never heard of anyone who saw his performance, who didn't absolutely love it. His story about the man in the hospital who helped him realize (after his career ending injury) what he was put on earth to do, was inspirational.
Our hearts go out to Danny's family. God bless you.
...till we meet again, Danny...

Mikey

Danny rest in peace. You are so loved.

Bill Fisher

I was quite lucky to have met Danny Gans at the Mirage last year. I always made it a point to see his show twice a year. He was very uplifting and a genuine kind person. I am so sad to have heard of his untimely passing. Give them all you got in heaven Danny, they'll love your act. Gob bless the family, you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Butifulwun

You know I have been to Vegas twice this year so far and while walking on the strip I saw them advertising him at the Wynn and I was thinking to myself "who is Danny Gans?" Then later while driving on the strip again, his name came up and I'm still thinking, "who is Danny Gans?" The second time I went to Vegas same thing on the strip yada yada passing the Wynn which that billboard they have is amazing! I'm thinking who is Danny Gans? He must be real popular esp. to be playing at the Wynn. Leaving Las Vegas, his pic finally came up on the screen with a clip from one of his shows and I thought to myself, what a good looking, handsome man and I have to see him the next time I visit. My sincerest condolences go out to his family, friends and fans. I'm deeply sorry I never got to see him perform and It seems like he was a great guy who truly contributed to society and will be greatly missed. Life too short ya'll so enjoy, keep haters out your life, live to the fullest and no matter how young or old, go for your dreams. xoxo

"Big Gus" Dickus

My deepest condolences to all who knew and loved the man.

Me, all I know is his name is an anagram for GAY N-N-NADS.

N-n-no kidding,
Big Gus

Sheena

I have no clue who he is.

1918 days ago

MaztoBall

Who is he?

1918 days ago

Tim

We are all sadden by this news, may his family and staff be in our prayers.

1918 days ago

Karen

Holy Smokes! Saw in in Vegas -- he was hilarioius! RIP.

1918 days ago

whocares

Not to be rude but WHO? I googled his name and I see he is a Vegas regular...but again who is he? I have never heard of him...

1918 days ago

vegaslamb

I live in Vegas, he is a big star and a very popular show. Its shocking.

1918 days ago