Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

Hoakie2601

Danny Ganns was the best performer ever. I was looking forward to going to Vegas again and seeing him perform again. He may not have been a Hollywood star but he was a better performer than most people in Hollywood. If you ever saw a show of his you know how much his family met to him. This is just so sad that he will not be with his children as they grow. I am still in shock

1998 days ago

Palma

We saw him in Vegas and he was wonderful! His name is know is Vegas. He was one of the best! How sad for such a young man to die and leave his wife and children. Our heart go out to his family.

1998 days ago

Wallace Hobbs

Goodbye Mr. Danny Gans, we will miss you.

My wife Julie and I went to Las Vegs last week and saw Danny Gans for the first time because we heard he was the best Vegas had to offer. We saw him Last Tuesday night and Sat front row. Oh my God the guy was awesome. I was star struck by his talent. I smiled so hard the whole show. I knew I had seen greatness.

After the show I stepped to the stage and shook his hand and told him thank you for sharing your Gift with me and my wife and God Bless you and left feeling Great!

We got home and on Friday my wife pulled up the Comcast page and yelled up the stairs to me OMG your not going to believe what I just read on the page... We Were Shocked and we cried over the loss of this great talent and person. This is so sad and only 52 years young. He was very thankful to be at the Wynn and thankful to be home with his wife each night it was so touching. I felt an instant connection to him.

My entire familys hearts and prayers go out to his wife Julie (thats my wifes name too) and his 3 kids. I can't imagine the pain and sense of loss they are feeling at the is time. I pray God will help them through this great time of Grief,

My eyes are tearing up writting this now. I can't belive this has hit me so hard, but it has. I am 48 years old and
it really makes me think about my life and whats important. It should make us all think.

Just makes you think, you never know when God is going to call you home.

Rest in Peace Mr. Gans. Rest in Peace - your absence will be surely Felt.

Wallace and Julie

1998 days ago

why?

Heaven just became more awesome. Sleep well Danny Gans....

1998 days ago

Frankthecrank

I'm sorry for his family, but who is this guy? I guess if you don't live in Vegas you don't know who he is.

1997 days ago

alberta

a very tragic loss, i saw him the first time i went to las vegas. what a great entertaier, and to leave behind a wife and 3 kids, so heartbreaking. i know these things happen every day and my heart goes out to all people in this world who experience these losses..

1997 days ago

Greg

That is too bad, he has a wife and kids, condolences and prayers to them. I really wanted to see his act. I heard about it for years, just never got a chance. RIP

1997 days ago

audra hollis

Ive watched Jon and Kate from the beginning and things certainly have changed. He has expressed on the show no less, how unhappy he is working from home and being on tv. He wants to be just Jon again. Kate simply shrugs her shoulders and says I love it soooo..well we know what so means..it means what kate wants..kate gets. Her hairstyle is an extension in the front, thats why it looks so horrible. Maybe there is a reason her parents and most of her family are not in her life or her kids lives. Wow, thats such a shame cause those kids are adorable. Maddie seems mentally ill to me..like maybe bi polar or something..shes just cruel and has a terrible mouth on her. My advice..Jon and Kate..get your lives back...even if it means less money. Quit the show and just be good parents.

1997 days ago

who has the facts? ME

I just watched "Bonnie Hunt" and she replayed an interview she had done with Danny back in January. What a wonderful, humble, talented guy. Such a shame to be taken so young. Sympathies to his family and the city of Las Vegas - a terrible loss.
Only the good die young.

1996 days ago

Palma

We saw him in Vegas, he was wonderful! He was one of the best! How sad for such a young man to die and leave his wife and children. Our heart goes out to his family! Danny we'll miss your socks!

1996 days ago

Mark

I remember when Danny sang a duet on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood with Joe (Handyman) Negri in an opera act. I think it was like in the 80's?

1996 days ago

Jewels

RIP, and truly one taken too soon.

1996 days ago

Sal Belleci

I went to Vegas My First Time 12 years ago
I made reservations to See him at the Mirage. What a Great Show & Great Impressionist !!
I had a Great Seat Almost in Front. I got the Video of Him Then
I was Shocked to hear of his Passing. I would Tell Friends Going to VEGAS to See Him

1996 days ago

marvel

i met and saw Danny gans perform at the Mariott convention room in san diego about 16 yrs.ago.......he was a swell guy to talk to.......i told Dan i want to be just like him.....his advice was ....practice always and don't abuse yourself....you gotta have the gift not just a talent and leave the rest to your audience to appreciate what you have for them to reminince....
sincerely.......Marvel

1995 days ago

marvel

Danny will lead the way for his successor..............the show must go on......
his act was the greatest of all.......pleasing and entertaining
Marvel