Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

akeem

"The Observer"
Don't be scared to leave your hovel once in awhile.
It's a really big world out there. Lots of fun stuff. Check it out sometime.

Fuzzy

Those of you who don't know who Danny Gans is need to get out more often.

Dirty Martini

Wow. I had never heard of him 3 months ago, but my husband and I went to Vegas, and my husband insisted we had to see his show. (The hubby had seen him before).

Danny Gans was fabulous, and it was one of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen. I wasn't feeling well that weekend, but Gans' show was the highlight.

I'm sorry to hear of his passing, and am thankful that I got to see him.

Biff

COCAINE is a Hell of a Drug.......

Lisa

Danny Gans was a fixture in Las Vegas and a person who gave a lot back to this community. For those "playas" who get a cheap Southwest flight into Vegas, buy a YARD of strawberry margaritas, get drunk and piss and puke all over our streets, I wouldn't expect you to know who he is.

Bob

I'm saddened by this news. Danny Gans is a very generous man, he sponsors the First Tee of Southern Nevada golf for kids which my daughter goes to.

LongJohn69

I guess he finally covered....The Grateful DEAD!

bsh

We saw him at the Encore last month. What a great talent and a very philanthropic guy. Many will miss him.

BaldOuting.blogspot.com

since i've been a kid i've seen his face plastered all over vegas. so sad, he was still pretty young...

josi

I don't know who he is but may he rest in peace. :(

Duaned

Danny's face has been on predominate billboards and Vegas casino neon for many years. If you have ever been to Vegas, you have seen his face wheather you knew it or not. He has always been characterized as a brilliant entertainer and has died too young. I send my very deepest care and concern to his family and many personal friends. The lights will again go dark in Vegas - a fitting tribute to a stupendous entertainer.

rdomich

I am in shock. I had the pleasure of seeing him perform 3 times and meeting him. He was a very nice man and one of the best entertainers I have ever seen. What an incredible talent!!!! Hard not to leave his show with a huge amile on your face. He almost became a major league baseball player. I believe he was a top prospect for the Padres, but suffered a career ending injury the week before his anticipated promotion to the majors. He played 3B next to the great Ozzie Smith in the minors. This man was a true STAR and he will be sorely missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family who he loved so deeply.

RDMJ20

WOW!!!! I am shocked, I went to school with his son this is just crazy I can believe it. to his wife Julie and kids Amy, Andrew, and Emily my thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Inny

Boris

Because Observer doesn't want to give the mob his money...

(gambling is for chumps)

doesn't necessarily mean he lives in a hovel...

or doesn't travel elsewhere...

does it?

NewlywedCentral

#15 -- Clearly YOU are small minded to think VEGAS is "getting out" -- How about try Austria, China, France and Austrailia -- Then come back and talk to us who "don't get out much" --

To those who aren't smart a**** - Danny Gans was an incredible performer -- I don't remember the likes of him anywhere I've been -- He was a "stand up" guy, no pun intended -- He was and will be remembered by all those who were touched by him in some way -- may he RIP