Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

MaryMac

So sad and so young...I wonder if it was the swine flu and I am not making a joke. It just seems so strange that an otherwise healthy, vibrant young man like him would just have trouble breathing at 3:00 a.m. and then be gone by the time paramedics arrived.

Vegas

Danny Gans was truly the most talented performer on the Las Vegas Strip. His show was truly one of the best ever! Anyone who saw him can attest to this...he will truly be missed. A very sad day in sin city.

fred smilek

very sad. what a great lost. He was so young too

Sandy Underpants

I always thought he was a magician. I certainly won't miss him and I'm sure he's in a better place now, because he ain't in Vegas anymore.

Jerry Marshall

I went to High School with Danny, he was a good guy, he grew up in Torrance, Californnia and was among my friends. Unfortunately, I never saw his show in Vegas but a lot of my friends did. I am very sorry to hear his passing and my thoughts and sorrow go out to his family. He will be missed!

bobbi

SHOCKED! Thanks TMZ. If nothing else is said, he had to be the most grateful guy to be working in Vegas. When we saw his show, he thanked the audience at least 10 times for coming and to allow him to stay at home with his family and not have to be on the road all the time. Very nice and sincere guy, and a great entertainer. If you don't know who he was, it is your loss.

RIP Danny, you will be missed by millions of fans.

danhevor

Las Vegas has been saddened by the loss of Danny Gans....He was a great entertainer and a man of God. One of the most talented men of the Image and a funny one at that. RIP Danny Gans....we who have the faith and believe pray for the family of Danny as the rest of us should!

Kidholm

I saw his show. Aside from being an outstanding entertainer, he seemed to be a charitable, down to earth guy that adored his family. My condolences to his family.

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

Mary Mace, this happens every single day, I will venture so far to say he had a pulmonary embolism which causes in many cases instant death. It is a blood clot in the lung tht has traveled from somewhere in the body and blocks a artery.

RUKidding!!!!

Wow, how sad. I saw him a few years ago at the Mirage and was blown away by his talent. It's a loss to the entertainment community.

punchapap

Get well Danny. We're all praying for you.

missgrace

Best show I have ever seen in Las Vegas..BY FAR!!
R.I.P.

Zach Swan

I'm betting that that flurry of "Who is he" postings at the beginning of this thread is just one bonehead who mistakenly thinks s/he is smart and just keeps reposting with a different name. Get a life. And anyone who thinks gambling is the only reason to go to Vegas hasn't been there in 30 years. Golf, dining, nightclubs, entertaining shows like Danny Gans', etc. - it doesn't end there. Time to get out of your hole more often.

greeneyedlass

I'm sorry to hear of his death, and feel for his family and loved ones but...who is he? Never heard of him.

harski

I just got back from Vegas yesterday afternoon. My husband and I saw Danny's show on Wednesday night. Little did we know at the time that we were watching the last show of this incredibly gifted and talented performer! We'll be praying for the Gans family.