Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Joanne

My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends. He seemed like a wonderful family man; such love for his wife and children.. It's really sad that he is gone..

jagdc

He was not in Blazing Saddles. His best role is that of Ceaser in Mel Brooks History of the World part 1. He should always be remebered for that one.

Allie

Are you sure this isn't a joke? I thought this guy died years ago.

OCD

Sad to lose such a talented, truly funny guy. Prayers for the family.

Ron in Vancouver

to Xistenz99: you said he wasn't in spaceballs and that there should have been an imdb search done first. Well just for fun. i went to imdb and checked it out. you know what? maybe you should have looked before talking out of the seat of your pants. Dom WAS in Spaceballs as Pizza the Hut! Read before you type ok?
Dom was a hilarious man. Full of life. Captain Chaos .... crazy!!! R.I.P. sir....

giadog

this is a great loss to the comedy world. He was one of the best. he made me laugh many times and I will miss that true orginal comedy that came from the heart of americans of old times. billions of people will miss you. see you up there someday.

nascarsis

He was a very nice man, I remember him from the race tracks he would vist, he loved Nascar racing, He will be miss but NOT forgotten, God Speed Dom,Rest In Peace.

Sarafina

Such sad news, 75 doesn't seem old-old. I always liked him; especially in "The End", "Cannonball Run", and "Fatso". Is Burt Reynolds still a great friend of his? Dom and I share the same birthday (August 1st), but 32 years apart. I feel sorry for his family. Rest in peace...

Rustyvain

One of th best...So funny! Truly one of the funniest and good men in Hollywood!

tink11

To Xistenz99:

Dom DeLuise was the VOICE of Pizza the Hutt in Spaceballs, Therefore YES he was in the movie! So maybe you should learn how to search the IMDB database yourself.
RIP Dom. You will be missed in Hollywood!

namers

One of the great comedians and a lovely man.

Black Power

I don't remember seeing him in Blazing Saddles. What role did he play? But he was great as Ceasar in History of the World Part 1. During a Los Angeles bus strike 30 years ago, he gave me a ride and he was extremely nice. He didn't even try to molest me. Yeah, I know he was married and had kids, but he was also bi-sexual. He was one of my favorite comedians and I will miss him.

TLM

You morron he was in Spaceballs - maybe you should do the IMBD search. He was the voice of Pizza The Hutt. RIP Dom. You were a master at comedy.

NADMON

LOVED HIM, ONE OF THE BEST AND FUNNIEST. GOTTA GO WATCH SOME OF HIS MOVIES NOW, "THE END" WITH BURT REYNOLDS IS A GOOD ONE.

Terri

Aww, he was so funny. I too remember his appearances with Johnny. And of course with Burt and they always seemed like such good friends. RIP Dom and be sure you divide your time in heaven between being a chef and comic, and let George pass around the cigars afterwards.