Dom DeLuise Dies

5/5/2009 11:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

We've just learned that Dom DeLuise -- who starred in such classics as "The Cannonball Run" and "Blazing Saddles" and was the voice of Pizza the Hutt in "Spaceballs" -- died last night in a Los Angeles hospital.

We're told he passed away peacefully in his sleep at around 6 PM.

He was 75.

His family just released this statement: "It's easy to mourn his death, but easier to remember a time when he made you laugh."

Launch Photos

Black Power

For the life of me, I couldn't remember him in Blazing Saddles, until someone mentioned he was the director in the fight scene at the end of the movie. The best I ever saw him was on Johnny Carson's show with Burt Rynolds. They worked great together and I laughed my ass off. If you've never seen him on Carson, try and check out his old shows. I love Dom and have watched him since I was a kid. Such a funny man and a great person in general

John

Dom DeLuise was one of the great comdeic actors of all time. There wasn't one movie he ws in that his character wasn't among the best in the movie. His role in the Cannonball Run films were classic comedy. He made Burt Reynolds funny by giving him someone to work off. His role in Blazing Saddles, though small, was one of the the highlights of the film. He will be missed, and comedy will be a little poorer by his death.

STORMY7

One of the funniest men ever. I will miss this guy.

pink floyd

hey xistenz99 do your homework before you make stupid comments,dom was the voice of pizza the hut,imdb is not always correct,now don't you feel stupid....rip dom.

Wendy Lue

Xistenz99:
Yes he Dom did do the voice for Pizz The Hutt.
"Spaceballs is a 1987 science fiction parody film co-written, directed by, and starring Mel Brooks. It was released on June 24, 1987," Do YOUR homework before posting

Bella Tricia

I feel like I have lost a dear friend today...He was a great man who was always so full of life and love. I grew with his comedy. They just dont make then like him anymore..I hope he is now taking the "treasure bath" he so greatly deserves..RIP my friend :(

Janet

Great guy. My hear t goes out to his family.

Liam

How freaky! I was looking for my daughter's birth certificate this afternoon to sign her up for summer camp and came across a one dallar bill that Dom DeLuise signed and inscribed to her (at the time she was my unborn daughter) back in 1999 at a Burdine's Celebrity Cook Book Signing in Miami! Dom guessed that my wife was pregnant before we said anything to him! He said she glowed! I said to after we walked away, why didn't you tell him you were? She said, I can't tell him before I tell my mother! He told us about his granddaughter Riley and we fell in love with that name and ended up naming our daughter that too! He was a kind, wonderful and funny man who will be missed by all. I think I'm going to go get that dollar bill framed tomorrow and hang it in respect for him. Our country has lost a true icon. Rest in peace Dom! Thank you for all your work which will live on forever. You've made a scary world a little bit more funny! My prayers are with your Riley this evening and the rest of your wonderful DeLouise family.

Joe

DOMMY, now you can eat canolli all a you want! Save some for me because I have one foot in the grave and another on a banana peal. buon voyage!! and thank you for making us laugh!

ErnDog

You'll be missed Dom. Very funny, very nice man.

BTW...XISTENZ99 - Don't get your panties in a twist, but Dom DeLuis did, indeed, voice, Pizza the Hut. If you had to go to IMDB, you're obviously not an afficienado of the genre.

Barry Wainwright

I liked him. Dom was truly one of the best! We are losing far too many greats too fast. Heck, most everyone who appeared on the Dean Martin Comedy Hour Show are all gone too. Life is too short folks so enjoy it while you're still here. I'm sure Dom is in a better place & wherever he is I'm sure he is cracking some serious jokes & has everyone in stitches. RIP Dom! May God bless you, your family & all you fans too.

CEO Fireball Run

"See you at the finish my friend" - JJ & all the participants of the Fireball Run Transcontinental Rally.

Capt Willard

that man made me laugh for real, rip dom

MotorCitySaxMan

Yes he was in Space Balls. If you go into IMDB you have to click on "more" to see his credit as the voice of Pizza the Hutt. Mr.Xistenz99 should learn to use the computer better.

blues fan

He most certainly WAS in Blazing Saddles -- he plays the director of a bunch of singing/dancing homosexuals on a Hollywood movie set, and he was absolutely hilarious doing it! A very funny man ----- prayers and condolences to his family.