Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish.

celebutaunter77

Give our heads a shake? What the hell does that mean? Which "heads" are you talking about Ava?

celebutaunter77

Dixiemeow-HAHAHAHA, Attack mode! What are they going to do? Throw skittles at us?
"Taste the rainbow beeeotches!"

Ken

I like TMZ, follow Harvey on Twitter and am for gay marriage but this continued beating up over a beauty pageant contestant and now calling her a homophobe is just ignorant. I think the Bible is a complete work of fiction but I do understand that people have their convictions and beliefs and they don't always match mine.

Plus, why does President Obama and every other black leader in the country get a pass on this issue when they are more in a position to enact change then this beauty queen? TMZ loves Obama and is so PC that they would never do anything to get on his bad side yet he has come out on several occasions against gay marriage.

End the hypocrisy. If you want to call out Carrie, fine. But then do the same for others that you, and the gay community, give a pass to.

Patti

Perez Hilton and TMZ have turned her into a celebrity! I hope she turns the hateful attacks TMZ makes against her into a long and prosperous career.

Marie Dockins

This dispect of people with opposing opinions by supporters of gay marriage is out of control. This is America people. You have a right to believe in gay marriage, nad I sure have the right to think your wrong. I'm tired of both EXTREMIST sides that think they represent the common american, whether pro or con on any volitle issue. The kind of behavior from these organizations has got to be punished for just plain rude and meaness to people. What is wrong with the people in control of our government, hollywood and the media. it doesn't reflect real life or real people at all

Teebag

You people are so f@cking stupid. So what if gays want to get married! How does it even effect you in the least?
It's like saying, "I hate people with orange hair". It's a ridiculous argument and stance. Let people live their lives the way they see fit. As long as everyone consents, then who's the victim? Mind your own damn business and the world would be a much happier place.

pauli

ENOUGH, Please leave this girl alone. Don't destroy her. STOP!

jerseygirl707

Look- I went thru this w/ my parents divorce w/ my Dad. It was traumatic. If a child is raised by gay parents, it's a given and you know that's your family. but to find out as an adolescent is traumatic-- it would be to find out your Dad had ANY affair but this changes a full mindset and impression you believed all along.

You can disagree w/ the term "gay marriage" without being homophobic. The irony is I know several gay people (incl. my dad) that are conflicted about the term gay "marriage." They are ok w/ terms civil union or domestic partner as long as there is complete legal reconition-- like they can be considered "next of kin" or "family member" in an emergency or tax status option w/out leagl fees for Power of Attnorny filings left & right. He sees "marriage" a religious issue; civil unions (hetero- or homosexual) the more proper legal term.

I agree also that she come from a state that voted down the issue but is attacked for her honest answer to a question. She is clearly not the only CA resident. She took some pics-- agree also that it's pretty hilarious that Moakler is one of those chastising.

Tolerance has to work both ways. People will not respect your views if all they feel is embarassed, harassed or lobbied against.

sandwich

Hederophobic. I like that FUBO. I will use that too. What you described is exactly what I have experienced. I've had many gay friends over the years but I'm not exactly down with their causes so as a result, I'm not exactly welcomed so much anymore. That's ok though. I've grown tired of associating with thin skinned people so no big loss.

Jayla

Once again, why should Obama or any other politician have "power" to tell us who can and cannot get married? Leave this to the states or localities and use the lower judicial system to oversee equitable partnerships, not the legislative or executive.

Jake

FUBO

If you don't know what that means....you are dumber than I thought, good luck with that.

The Doc Is In

So why then is Obama a homophobe? He is also against gay marriage.

Harvey and Mario Lavandeira, miserably failed actor turned gossip monger, are only willing to call out those that won't crush them.
Let's see a piece on why Obama is a homophobe.

Or are those testes tied a little too tight to step into deeper water?

Heterophobes are vicious and classless animals.

MaryMac

I think it is amazing how everyone is attacking this woman for simply stating that she believes in what is already the law in her home state of California.

The Doc Is In

Hey #46,
Did you mean FUBAR?

Meli

Wow, so Freedom of Speech and people having opinions are only allowed if they are the same opinions of the TMZ staff ? Sad. TMZ REALLY needs to stop putting their OPINIONS as facts, and trying to trash people just because they have diffferent ideas. Maybe you guys should look up the definition of Homophobe, because you either have no idea what it means, or you just want to slander this woman for not being in lockstep with you.