Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish.

giggle

question here. not trying to be a smartass or anything, but other than perez hilton, what other gay people are attacking her? i'm pretty sure rosie o'donnell's going to jump in eventually, if she hasn't already. i just haven't heard of any other gay person attacking. all i hear is "i don't agree w/ her opinion". that's not an attack to me. the gay people i know could care less what she thinks.

upchuck21

Perez Hilton is the most mean-spirited, hateful person on the planet....

Kate

Being against gay marriage does not mean someone is homophobic. It's Carrie Prejean's opinion that gay marriage isn't something that should be legal. She was asked her opinion and Perez Hilton didn't like her answer. Tough cookies. Free speech and 'tolerance' go both ways.

I do appreciate TMZ deciding not to publish some aspects of the divorce and custody records. It's nice to know there are some boundaries you won't cross.

Interracial facial

When you attack someone due to their beliefs, you lower yourself down to their level of intolerance. Regardless, there are better more positive ways to combat the issue with gay pride. I'd much rather read a piece on the hilarious Bobby Trendy celebrating his fashion sense than to see TMZ in political militant defense mode. The law of attraction says that what is positive breeds positive vibes. Post more fun articles on gay celebs and ignore politics. There are a lot more newsworthy drama queens out there. And Prejean, like any gal who gets through life on looks alone, just ain't worth the cyberspace.

tess

Big shocker that a divorce is filled with accusations and innuendos from the parties involved. NOT. Being against gay marriage does not make one a homophobe. I agree with civil unions and equal rights for gay partners. I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. I am not a homophobe, and I am sick of the hypocritical left being intolerant of my views. Their vitriol toward anyone who does not agree with them is disgusting.

Brenda

TMZ has turned into the Miss California site.
Leave the girl alone!

TXROX

Did everyone forget Vanessa Williams was dethroned for the same type of pictures? Regardless of her stance on gay marraige, she BROKE A CONTRACT. She signed one stating she would not endorse anyone and/or products-yet she is the new spokesperson for NOW. She also signed a contract stating she has never taken any nude or SEMI nude pics-and she obviously lied. Even though I am for CIVIL LIBERTIES and believe that when the constitution says "All men were created equal" it didnt have an asterix next to it that says "except minorities and gays", I believe in freedom of speech-let her preach about morality and values out one side of her mouth and lie out of the other. Introducing the typical christian hypocrite, America.

Bex

No wonder the poor girl hates gays...I don't blame her!

xinunus

WHO CARES ABOUT CARRIE.

LETS TALK ABOUT WHY HARVEY IS GAY OR IF HE ISNT GAY, WHY HE ACTS GAY...

Kate

Yikes. That's some nasty stuff.

who has the facts? ME

My, the parents sure don't act in a very "Christian" way, do they?? I feel sorry for her being raised her entire life in that madness. But now the National Organization of Marriage wants to use(and I mean USE) her as a spokesperson. If they really cared about her, they would encourage her to give up the crown and disappear.

Interracial facial

If anyone deserves the tabloid treatment worse than this all-looks no-brain airhead, it's that Joe The Plumber piece of work and his recent statements to ultra right wingnut fundamentalists who still preach hate as a part of their religion.

BigMike

Perez Hilton is still Gay!

rico

He is right, all men with mustaches ARE gay.

Holly

This is despicable. Stop attacking this woman just because you don't like her beliefs. I don't agree with her either, but so what? That's no reason to try to destroy her. I think this is the worst case of attack-by-media I've ever seen.