Coolest Photo Taken

in the History of EVER

5/15/2009 2:01 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

An amateur astronomer named Thierry Legault took this unbelievable photo of the Space Shuttle Atlantis silhouetted by our massive sun -- and you won't believe what it took to get the shot.

Space Shuttle
The shuttle (which is only 37m long and has a 24m wingspan) was traveling 17,500 mph at 350 miles above the Earth's surface -- and Lagault says he only had .8 seconds to get the shot. The sun looms in the background a mere 91 million miles away.

We're not going to get into what kind of equipment, settings and preparation it took -- because we're too busy staring at the pic to get into it. But you can check out another amazing shot on the dude's website.

artie help

i hereby officially retire my TAG, and also want to say that GEORGE MICHAEL, once dragged his sack across my chin.

PurpleSmurf

At #8. Military Tribunals have not been introduced the same way that Bush had them. They haven't been introduced yet. It is one of many options on the table. And if it's back on, it will be a lot more different than the system Bush had.

Catch up.

Angela

I'm sorry but it looks like the outer part of someone's upper arm with a spot of black ink.

Chris

I'm pretty sure this isn't real... the perspective is off, the distance, curvature, and look of the sun, pretty much everything. It's a great image, though!

Oh Yes She Did

THE SHUTTLE WOULD HAVE BEEN BURNED TO A CRISP IF IT WAS THAT CLOSE TO THE SUN....THAT IS TOTALLY FAKE.

rgdownes

Look at actual REAL pics of the sun on the Nasa site. This ain't it folks.

Jitesh Patel

I WAS IMPRESSED BY THE SPACE SHUTTLE PIC NEXT TO THE SUN BUT TO MY PLAGENT SUPRISE I SCROLLED TO THE RIGHT AND SAW THE HOOTER GIRLS PAGEANT VIDEO WHICH IN MY OPIONION IS MUCH MORE DELIGHTLFUL THEN A TINY LITTLE SPACE SHUTTLE NEXT TO A ENORMOUS SUN...... HEHEHEHE

Herpes Ho Hilton

Elektra, u are a gullible retard if u think this is real. Now put down the crack pipe, & YOU get a grip.

Disco Duck

Photoshopped pic everyone.

Mik

More stuff like this at spaceweather.com

Fan Since 2007!!!

Yeah, I really don't understand why people aren't more outraged by that whole Air Force Onr fiasco. But I guess it's like an earlier poster once said. Obama could gas his own people and it would still be cool wth his supporters because he is...OBAMA!!!

Fan Since 2007!!!

I can imagine the sun doesn't look right because it was filmed through a special filter.

Capt. Howdy

this is a real photo from Nasa. I was looking at it before TMZ posted it. It's real ya'll Also, to all u a$$ holes who put TMZ down, why do u evan bother to log onto TMZ then. Ya'll don't make cents!

jj

i thought it was a butt shot....it seems to me like is a mosquito sitting on Kim K's a$$

Kev

PurpleSmurf just think without the stars how much more difficult it would have been for our ancestors to navigate. Maybe, just maybe it's one of the reasons they were put there. But hey, I guess all those precise variables that make life possible on Earth was just an accident, right??

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments