James Franco -- College Drop Out

6/4/2009 12:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

James FrancoThere's going to be quite a few happy students at UCLA today -- because James Franco has dropped out of giving the keynote speech at this year's graduation.

You'll remember back in March, a group of 200-something students launched a Facebook protest against Franco -- who graduated only a year earlier, was only an "average student," and fell asleep in class -- giving the big speech.

Franco said in a statement: "I deeply regret not being able to keep my commitment to giving the commencement speech at UCLA's graduation this year.

Unfortunately the date conflicts with me needing to be on location to begin pre-production on my next film. I wish everyone in the 2009 class the best of luck in all of their future endeavors."

He probably would have overslept and missed it anyway.

artie help

this is him listeneing to our commander in chief ,kissing extremists islamists,asses.

kt

so who will be speaking at my graduation? he gives notice about a week in advance that he can't make it? what is wrong with him? graduation is on the 12th and today is the 4th. now who will be the speaker on such late notice?

J-dawg

Who?

Sarafina

What a loser.

Kid Dyn-O-Mite

Reminds me of myself sleeping through my marine biology class in college.

josi

OMG! HE LOOKS SOOO CUTE IN THAT PIC! LOL!

Naomi

haha, well, at least he dropped out. Love James, but I don't think he's an intellectual giant. =)

The REAL DEAL

I gotta a little something for that open mouth of his . . . .

Hans

I don't know James. But I would generally tend to give people the benefit of doubt and to assume naturally that they are relatively decent people given the chance - therefore I find it difficult to comprehend the snide comments about him - the notion that he must somehow be "lazy" or a poor student are ill founded,. I've fallen asleep in class, and I don't regard myself as either stupid or a bad student... how ridiculous! It seems like disingenuous nitpicking and if not rather mean spirited, then at least naive and foolish to make condescending remarks about someone you don't know at all and It saddens me that people have become so hasty to leap to judgment and condemn one another.

Carrys F.

Nothing like a good Facebook revolution to change the world!

THaus

He will most likely make more $ in his acting career than most of us in our careers. I'm sure he's laughing at these negative comments about him..haha

Carrys F.

That's ABSOLUTELY right, hans!!!!

A

Sleeping in class...big deal. I slept in lectures all the time and still managed mostly As in college. The students were complaining about him being the speaker, so he probably backed out because of that. It's funny...Seth MacFarlane gave a hilarious commencement address to the HARVARD grads a few years ago, and you didn't hear them bitching and moaning.

Mariah

So he was an average student, big deal. Not everyone is a 4.0 student. Good for him for going and actually graduating. Not too many celebrities do that anymore.

soulprincess27

Give me a break. Why the hell would he go through with it when the students were petitioning against him giving the speech. I don't blame him. The replacement is a freakin' idiot - yeah, Linkin Park, that's some deep, intelligent shizz right there... ha ha... I'm really sure he's using his degree to play in that p.o.s. band. I'm surprised those college girls would give up a chance at seeing James & all his fineness... dumb ass b's.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments