CBS to R.I. -- Phil and Rachael Ain't Free!

6/17/2009 2:30 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The good people of Rhode Island might need to shell out $5 a head if they want to keep watching shows like "Dr. Phil" and "Rachael Ray."

CBS is suing Global Broadcasting -- which owns WLNE in Providence, R.I. -- claiming the station hasn't paid them fully for airing the shows "ET," "The Insider," Dr. Phil," "Inside Edition" and "Rachael Ray." In a lawsuit filed today in Los Angeles Superior Court, CBS claims WLNE has only shelled out $682,023.50 of the $2,852,564 they owe (leaving a balance of roughly $2.1 mil).

Now get this -- CBS claims WLNE has now decided to stop airing the shows before their contract is up, resulting in another $2.7 mil in damages. That brings the grand total to just shy of $5 million.

Do the math -- if each of Rhode Island's roughly one million residents chip in a five spot, they can cover the lawsuit themselves!

Michael Madsen

I wish my local station would renege as well... most shows could disappear and no one would notice... b elieve me.

I am

Not a fan. I wouldn't pay 5 cents to listen to either of those blow-hards. And those en-fo-tain-ment shows? I'd rather read a good book . From what I gather from the promos , they all seem to simultaneously cover the same topics.

frogs and gravel

I would sell my first born son and parts of Mexico to keep Rachael Ray on the air.

Ed Scissorhands

And why did this come to my inbox with the subject line "Rianna Sued"????? LOL

who dat

Dr phil is a bag of gas in a suit.

Jon .D

The Cable companies are just soaking us all.

Jess

On June 8th 2009 Mr. Letterman “joked” that a female Governor of the United States is “slutty” this is what fascists do they call people names give them negative labels because they do not agree with their agenda. They try to make them less human with their words. Discredit them. Letterman himself had a child out of wed lock. But he appoints himself as the morals police. CBS backed Letterman up with their silence. Watch another network, stop supporting fascists on TV.

Kenneth

You're beautiful!

L. P.

4. I would sell my first born son and parts of Mexico to keep Rachael
Ray on the air.

Posted at 2:53AM on Jun 17th 2009 by fishfrog44
SICK people like you shouldn't be allowed to have children.

The REAL DEAL

Posted at 5:27AM on Jun 17th 2009 by Jess - YOUR A MORON - go kill yourself you douche bag. No one give 2 craps about you or the little world you live in. Comedians make jokes, period. Stop being so thin skinned. Palin's family is disfunctional and she had a teen daughter get pregnant. Goes directly to her parents skill to raise children.

Dr. Tom

Yeah, while Dr. Phil is raking in $45 million I heard!!!! Disgusting!

Kay

I must be the only person on the planet who hasn't seen either of their shows.

me so horny

Rachael Ray has the worst show on tv, it is supposed to be a cooking show and she has some women from the csi talking about her work and the tools she uses to mutilate human bodies. this Bitch needs to taken off the airwaves and her recipes are gross, you couldn't pay me to eat her cooking.

who gives a shit

Same thing happened here. We didn't get fox for a year because the cable company & the local channel carrying fox couldn't get it together. Didn't have to do without 24 though just had to get a special antenna from the cable company. Finally after a year they settled. We pay enough to watch t.v. They need to stop this!

keonli

I live in RI...and I don't care if I lose these shows anyways.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments