Ed McMahon Dies

6/23/2009 9:13 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ed McMahon Ed McMahon has passed away at 86.

He died at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in California this morning. McMahon was fighting a multitude of health problems, including cancer.

Someone connected with the family told us, "Ed was at peace because he got his business taken care of. He settled his lawsuit with Cedars and with the settlement he was able to take care of his family."

He is best known as Johnny Carson's sidekick on "The Tonight Show" and for his infamous catchphrase, "Heeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!"

McMahon also hosted "Star Search" and "TV Bloopers And Practical Jokes" with Dick Clark.

He was a colonel in the United States Marines and a fighter pilot and served during the late 1940s and 1950s.

Ed McMahon: Click to launch

Ed was one of the good guys and a true American hero!

Story developing ...

hairspray

You seemed like a great guy and you will be missed, prayers to your family and friends. Your now up in heaven reunited with your son, I hope your at peace now.

Chrystal K.

I was so sad and shocked when i heard this news.

mike

he was a racists

emmasmom

R.I.P. ED
YOU WILL BE MISSED :(
SAY HI TO JOHNNY FOR US

yazzie

Thank you Ed Mc. Goodbye and Love u 4 ever and ever.

AdamRichardsWestVirginia

I guess God needed an announcer in heaven... "Heeeeeeeeeeer's JESUS!"
We're all gonna miss you Ed.

LH

Semper Fi, Sir.

Biff

Burn in HELL Ed, you greedy, Selfish, B@stard...All those made up lawsuits to keep up your rich lifestyle, at other peoples Expense..You had no shame, & now Your KARMA has come back to You...Say hello to Devil, ED....

runescape gold

What a great story, that you have written about a great person, Mr. Ed McMahon. I have been a fan of the tonight show, when he and johnny Carson were together , those many years ago. Once again great work.

Dawn

Rest in peace Ed, hopefully he wasn't reading tmz in his last few months.

yazzie

I really am going to miss seeing Ed on tv. Theres hardley anyone else left at all who has the talent that these guys were given. The good ones are all gone. We will miss seeing you Ed on the Jerry Lewis Telephone and it was our pleasure to welcome you in our homes over many blessed yrs. God rest your soul. Love, Kimmy.

Bob Dole rules

My condolences to Ed's wife and family. The young haters who continue to curse and gnash their teeth about Ed even after he has gone can go on doing so to their hearts content. For the rest of their lives I guess.
. Ed was a wonderful man with a huge heart a great loyal friend to Johnny and Jerry. But as everyone knows he had serious health problems and he finally let go. He's free now. I wouldn't take that away from him. God Blees you Sir. Sleep well.

Connie

God Bless you Ed.. You will truly be missed..
My thoughts and prayers with go to your family
God Bless .......

F'ed again

You people are such suck ups. He was such an ass for putting us all in debt with that publishers clearing house..you may have already won.... bull****. You reap what you sow. He also killed and retired Next Big Star just as I had won a National male contest. Screwed me again! Thanks for nothing - ED

Mike