Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

6/28/2009 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Billy MaysTMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected. Billy's wife Deborah told investigators Billy wasn't feeling well last night.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon. Billy was due to have his third hip replacement surgery on Monday.

UPDATE
: Deborah just released the following statement: "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

A rep for the Discovery Channel -- which airs Billy's show "Pitchmen" -- released this statement, "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth. Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

Cleveland-West_Side

The Seeds were a popular Rock band outta L.A. back in the late 60's.
Their song "Can't seem to make you mine" has been covered by Alex Chilton, Johnny Thunders, Ramones, Garbage and Yo La Tengo.
"Pushin' to hard" was named one of the 500 songs that shaped rock and roll by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

RIP Billy Mays and Sky Saxon, you both rocked.

Tradewind

R.I.P. Billy, I always liked your commercials. Now, let's not get ahead of ourselves and come up with all kinds of theories.

PulSamsara

Now who will be our king ? The Sham-WoW guy ? I think not! but we do 'love his nuts'.
Rest in Peace Billy Mays .... on to the big infomercial in the sky... that runs 24/7 ... forever...

allie_pocket

is it another drug overdose? wtf, hollywood.

Keith

Jared (#13):
If only ALL of Hollywood (with very few exceptions) would drink the water, they would all start dropping like flies.
Oxy Clean is great.

ERIS

God Bless this family!!
Check to see if there was a blood clot that dislodged or something.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Now God's got another great PITCHMAN out there for Him!!

abraham

The famous are dropping like flies.

Jerry Martin

This totally sucks dog parts. I hated that guy's guts for years, but his show on Discovery and his commercial on ESPN had turned me into a fan. He had gone from annoying to an icon.

Moni

This is starting to get creepy. I think the end times are near. Planes crashing, trains crashing, ppl dropping dead like flies..The end is soon

why?

When does it end!, Rest in peace Billy.

FiBiker

ITHINK THE AUTOPSY WILL REVEAL THAT ALL THAT HAIR AND BEARD DYE SEEPED INTO HIS BLOODSTREAM AND BECAME THE TOXIC KILLER!!!!

TennesseeMagic

What a cool guy! This man was an awesome "pitchman"! He could sell a double bed to the Pope!

Cleveland-West_Side

RIP dude, will be thinking of you at 4:20

Visitor Comments

I am really sorry to hear that. What is going on with all these well known people dying this week?

DomGotHerMemorialTix =)

Wow.. what's going on?!
All this stuff is just so shocking and unbelievable.
So its been ed, then farrah, then michael, now billy within a 1 week span???!!!
I think judgment day is near 4 us all.. N I feel bad 4 whoevers not right with God, whoevers not saved, and whoevr does not believe in God.. I'm glad judgment day is near because I'm so ready to leave my temporary home (earth) and ready to go to my permanent residence (heaven).
R.I.p. billy.