Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

6/28/2009 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Billy MaysTMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected. Billy's wife Deborah told investigators Billy wasn't feeling well last night.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon. Billy was due to have his third hip replacement surgery on Monday.

UPDATE
: Deborah just released the following statement: "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

A rep for the Discovery Channel -- which airs Billy's show "Pitchmen" -- released this statement, "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth. Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

Yrral

This is THE most depressing piece of news, ever.

Cleveland-West_Side

RIP dude, will be thinking of ya @ 4:20

Heather Beather

no foul play? i think it was the shamwow guy. he just looks like hes up to no good.

rip billy there is a stain on my heart from your death that not even your fine products can remove .

victor

This is crazy dude!! WTF, so many high-profile deaths this week!! I'm kinda scared - what is next , who is next? I'm not leaving the house

Tabitha

OMG HOW SAD IS THIS??? HOW MANY CELEBRITIES ARE GOING TO DIE HERE? MICHAEL, ED, FARRAH, AND NOW BILLY???? I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR OF THE LOSS THE MAYS FAMILY ARE NOW EXPERIENCING.

GEB

Wow that is very sad. I admired Billy Mays, he reminded me of a throwback to a generation of America where gong to the market was the way to see new products and mercahndise, like classic traveling salesman character or a classic carnival "barker". And that type of pitchperson or celberity we just don't see anymore today. I also really like his pitchman show, that was neat. There is someting about that persona of a boisterous pitchman who at the end of the day is a good person will probably always be apart of American culture, no matter what styles and fads come and go. His passing sounds like it could be a result of a mild brain anurysm, which is really sad. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Cleveland-West_Side

The worlds most depressing news came out back in the 30 and 40's when 100million+ were slaughtered, cities were leveled, thousands of planes and ships were blown up, how can anyone compare the past week with WWII?

Mister X

Bamm! He's gone!

Kat

His commercials drove me crazy, but I am so sad to hear of his passing....wow what a week! Ed ,Farah, Micheal, and Billy ........rest in peace and may God comfort your families...

kevin

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i loved billy mays. i am absolutely crushed and devastated.

i don't think i can handle another death

moveover

Does this mean I won't have to grab my remote and hit the mute button so I won't have to listen to him yelling at me about some junk he's hawking, anymore? WHEW!

CC

RIP Billy Mays. He represents the possibility of the American Dream. Hard work, passion and a never give up attitude made him successful. Also doesn't hurt that he had a squeaky clean image, and anyone who has watched "Pitchmen" knows that he was a compassionate man.

Andrew

Sad news about BIlly Mays. Young guy. Seemed nice.

On another note . . . I can't even begin to comprehend how stupid anybody has to be to believe that "deaths come in 3's."

rmf919

wow, R.I.P.. :/ Who else is next?

Kissysmom