Jackson's Former Doc -- Reprimanded Over Rx

7/5/2009 6:26 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Dr. Allan Metzger MIchael JacksonA doctor who has treated Michael Jackson, went on tour with Jackson and even videotaped Jackson's wedding to Debbie Rowe, was reprimanded by the Medical Board of California for writing fraudulent prescriptions for Michael's sister, Janet.

Dr. Allan Metzger received a public letter of reprimand from the Medical Board in September, 2000. The letter states, "You engaged in fraudulent medical practice based on prescriptions written for an international entertainer, using a false/fictitious name." Dr. Metzger told us the entertainer is Janet Jackson.

Dr. Metzger is a lupus specialist -- Michael Jackson reportedly had the disease. Dr. Metzger traveled with Jackson during the HIStory Tour in 1996.

Dr. Metzger told us in the late 90s, he wrote prescriptions for Janet Jackson using the name of her private chef, Ricardo Macchi. Dr. Metzger told us the prescriptions were for diuretics. He also wrote a prescription for a hepatitis B injection -- he says he wrote it because Janet was going on tour and wanted to guard against the disease. Again, the name on the prescription was Ricardo Macchi, even though it was for Janet.

Dr. Metzger told us, "I had done this for Janet for her anonymity."

Macchi sued Dr. Metzger but the Dr. says the suit was dropped and no money was paid out.

As for Michael, Dr. Metzger says, "I have not treated Michael Jackson for many years." Metzger says he has talked to Jackson on the phone over the years, even giving him medical advice. As for whether Dr. Metzger prescribed meds for Jackson, he wouldn't say: "I am not at liberty to discuss Michael's medical care." We asked if he ever prescribed meds to Michael using an alias. His response: "I have not treated him for ages." Metzger said he last spoke with Michael in April. The doctor says he talked to Jackson about the tour, his children, nutrition and hydration.

Dr. Metzger added, "I have nothing to do with this tragedy with Michael. I have not prescribed any medication in relation to what happened to him."

Michael jackson Launch photos

Bad Wolf

I have interracted with Dr. Metzger in a professional capacity at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. His office is across the street on Beverly.

I have a pretty low opinion of this guy... arrogant, feisty, and rude... I could say more, but suffice it to say that out of the big group of physicians I worked with at Cedars, Dr. Metzger stood out to me and not in a good way.

I absolutely do not condone the prescription practices of Michael Jackson's physicians and I think there should be an investigation. I think there will be physicians who are at least sanctioned by the Medical Board of California at the very least. Quite possible we might see charges brought against one or more as well, once they piece this whole puzzle together.

On another note... Let me play devil's advocate... and please don't take this as me excusing this behavior...

I read TMZ everyday, and I'm definitely fascinated to learn details about my favorite celebrities. That said, it seems that wherever you go in LA, people are eager to talk about inside info they know about celebrities. I can certainly understand why a celebrity with a sensitive medical issue would not want prescriptions to be written in his name, so that his private health information does not become public. It's a sad consequence of this fascination with celebrity that we all fuel.

Also, my father was a physician, and I think it's actually more common than most physicians will admit that this happens. Prescriptions are sometimes written for family members who have health coverage, when the med is actually for an uncovered family member. Situations like that. I just think the DEA turns the other way, but it's sort of commonly known in the medical profession.

Perhaps these practices will change now... stricter monitoring... maybe some new legislation... possibly some physicians' careers sacrificed to make a point about integrity in medicine...

thinkaboutit

Someone told me Michael enjoyed liquid protein taken orally, but that's hard to swallow.

Sue Wong

They may never be able to trace where this drug came from. There's such a thing as the black market. I hope they clean up the system with unethical and quack doctors but it won't happen overnight.

sicko Lambert

that's how rumors start "someone told me" and it becomes a fact in their own little heads

barry Gordy is genius

Is Allan Metzger related to Tom Metzger?

Joanna Therese

Michael, through all of his faults which us a human beings tend to prey upon are of no meaning in this case. Michael was a very caring, very loving and a very giving man. I do however recall a time when I questioned his actions, but this didn't mean I didn't believe in him as a human being allowed to make mistakes. His music, his charity, his love will continue through the ages, beyond generations to come. We who knew him at a young age, fell victim into his music, his style and his dance moves. Yet now we are quick to judge and jump the gun into his lifestyle without seeing who this man really was. We only tend to see, the star quality of it all, we do not see what happens behind closed doors when these people are alone and faced with the fact that they just may be here on earth to entertain. Somehow, these people and list can go on forever and ever...may I include musicians such as Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison and so on. These people who we think are here just to entertain us are real human beings with feelings and those feelings that do come out in public are often seen as weird, freakish and unusual. The most important thing to remember about all of this, if you are a true Christian is to...STOP JUDGING, THAT YOU MAY NOT BE JUDGED (Matthew 7:1. We all have to answer. So us as Christians should pray for the soul of Michael Jackson instead of judgment against him.

Mrs Joe Jackson

Janet should have got a diet pill prescription. (speed)

dee

I'm just worried about the poor kids, Blanket, Curtain Rod and Throwrug. Poor kids.

Joanna Therese

Michael J. Jackson

Since the age of 10 and the first moment I ripped open your THRILLER album. I was in love.
I am still in love. I don't care about your problems nor the accusations. You were, are and
will always be the King of Pop.

Thank you for the music Michael. You are loved.

winosaurus-rex

Last I heard, a lil' garden nymph named Mary Jane who ain't welcomed in this country never killed nobody, but EVERYBODY got a pocket full of lethal dolls up in here? Taint right.

Sarah Henke

I am so damn sick of hearing about Michael Jackson and his death. He's gone, let it be. We all know he was a drug user and so is half the country, Move on!!
I didn't like the little freak anyway!! He was nothing but a sick child molestor that got off because he paid the FIRST family 20 milion. MJ was a disguting weirdo and he gave me the creeps. I will not lose any sleep over his passing.
Don't get me wrong, I don't wish death on anyone, but as I said before, he was a little freak that chose his own death. Now, can we get some other coverage on TMZ other than MJ's death.
I'm sure there are a lot of people who are not going to like my comments and the only thing that I can say to them is, OH Well!! I can say what I want, when I want and about anyone I want & who ever doesn't like it can kiss my WHITE ASS!!!!!

J_G

COME ON GUYS LETS NOT FULLY BLAME THE DOCTORS.........
FROM THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN I COULD SEE THAT MICHEAL SUFFERS FROM EMOTIONAL PROBLEMS LIKE MANY OF US DO. I REALLY DON'T THINK HE HAD ENOUGH SELF ESTEEM .....BUT THE PEOPLE AROUND HIM DIDN'T MAKE IT ANY BETTER FOR HIM. THEY WERE MORE INTERESTED IN GETTING HANDS ON HIS CASH ..... THE POOR GUY WAS CRYING OUT FOR HELP AND NO ONE SAW THAT.BUT NOW EVERYONE IS COMING FORWARD TO SAY YES THEY KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON.....AS FOR AS I AM CONCERN THEY ARE AS GUILTY AS THE DOCTORS WHO GAVE HIM THE SHOTS......FOR CHRIST SAKE WHEN ARE WE GONNA LEARN NOT TO WAIT UNTIL SOMEONE DROP DEAD BEFORE WE LEND A HELPING HAND.......

Virginia

I am SICK of hearing about Micheal jackson. i am sorry the man is dea. however, he was not Mothr Teresa, he did not save the world. He is NOT the King of pop. Elvis is the King of rock and roll, with the Beatles right behind him. enough!

nindy

HEY WAIT a minute I'm white and i'm a big fan of Michael but your probably right just dont throw all of us white folks under the bus with the jerk offs that even white people are a shamed to have around us........... all negative people exit stage left I dont give a flying crap what color or country you come from

Keegan

You know as I was thinking about this whole drug story. 2 days or so after Michael passed, someone aired a story from the nanny saying she always had to pump Michael's stomach because he would over dose on pills.
Just reading that I knew what a crock of garbage that was. Some magazine or news place offered her a few thousand for 'a story' so she came up with that junk.
Besides, if someone's stomach needs to get pumped, don't they normally have to go to the hospital for that?