Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

Lilarose

I was in my early twenties when Cronkite reported the Kennedy assassination. I grew up watching Cronkite on the news every night at dinner time. He is two years younger than my mom, who is 95-1/2. He had a great career and a great life.

You chippies who have bad things to say about Cronkite on this forum are so immature, I am shocked your mommies let you have access to a computer.

JANE DOE

GREATEST WELL KNOWN NEWS REPORTER!!!!

R I P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SillySallySays........

R.I.P Walter. The world lost one of the best newscasters and journalists ever.

a girl named sue

God bless Walter...I remember as a kid watching him deliver the news about JFK's assassination. You could tell he was fighting to remain calm, but the emotion showed all over his face. A class act!! There will never be another.

S D M F

This man is a true american icon. He was a true newsman, he reported the news and not for ratings like the O'reilly's and Hannity's of the world who are more interested in ratings then the news.

Lenn K.

Hate to see someone else die just to stop this out of control Michael Jackson rant. He was a liberal, but I still like the guy.

John

Now THIS ONE was a LEGEND!..... and better yet- a real CLASS act.

Can we have two weeks worth of funerals, memorials, magazine covers and News stories for him?
Wait- he was a white guy. Never mind.

Moni

I'm sorry but who is he? 92 is long enough, how long do u ppl want to live!

FiBiker

i met he once in a bathroom standing next to me at a urinal and he ended by driblling on my shoes!!!!

thats the way it was!!!!!

that was at the OJ Simpson double murder case...at the court house.

magentapyramid

Awwwww.... that is just so sad. I, too, grew up watching his newscasts. He always seemed so genuine, sincere and caring. I'm sure that watching him announce the assassination of JFK, where he displayed such raw emotion, choked up the world. He most certainly lent a credible and humanistic tone to the news, which will never be forgotten.
Deepest condolences to his family and loved ones.
Good Night, Sweet Prince.

that's all

I thought he died years ago.....

canadasue

How sad. He was truly a class act. At least he had a long, full life!

Me

7. U R scooping big news outlets. Nothing on BBC, NY TIMES, LA papers.

Posted at 8:28PM on Jul 17th 2009 by Tom

It is on CNN.
Rest well old friend.

DaReelScoop

RIP Walter , one of the greatest icons reporting the news & keeping it real. The lord is gearing up for the biggest show in the heavens , news up 1st with Walter Cronkite then stay tune for Ed McMann shouting Hereeeees Johnny with guest Farrah Facett , musical performance by Michael Jackson.

nikkis mom

This is truly a sad moment for most of America who has the intelligence to realize that a great American hero has died and it doesn't matter if he was 92 or 50. Walter Chronkite was a true reporter. He looked for the facts, he seldom gave his opinion. He let everyone know the news without bias.
His kind of ethics are sooo missed in a world where - our journalists don't check out their sources - they destoy a person because they want to be the first. Thank you Walter and rest in peace.