Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

BrandonHTx

R.I.P..Big buddy only good thing about this is he is in a better place, and not suffering anymore..Prayers go to his family as this tragic news comes out

chicken head

COMMIE BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carter Forster - London, Ontario, Canada

I rememeber when he looked at the clock on the wall, and took off his glasses and said those horrible words:

"We need more lemon Pledge."

It changed the world. It just DID. RIP, old Walt!

Wow

Goodbye, liberal hack. You discouraged the men fighting in Vietnam and their families here in the U.S.

to little

Now this is a legend, MJ didn't live long enough to be a legend.

May he rest in peace

Chico

I'm sorry. I take that back. I don't know what comes over me when I get to the TMZ board. I always say something stupid, inappropriate, and it's only because I'm a troll and I want attention. I retract all of my terrible posts.

MY offer is

KING OF NEWS WE NEED A DAY SET JUST FOR HIM AMERICAN ICON,TRAIN RIDE THRU EVERY CITY TO HONOR THIS GREAT MAN,

Mary

Here's how a real ICON looks to some of us...Walter Cronkite*, the most memorable newscasters of all time. He took us through the nightly news and events that changed our lives forever, i.e. President Kennedy's assassination, Robert Kennedy's assassination, Martin Luther King's assassination, Watergate, Space (Moon landing), Political Conventions, et al. I grew up in the Midwest and CBS was the channel of choice and we watched (him) and the six o'clock news as a family!

No agenda and only Truth....this soul is worthy of crying over right now. Cable news is nothing more than gossip-mongering trash.

*Loved Edward R. Murrow, David Brinkley, and Tom Brokaw

OH REALLY

R.I.P Mr. Cronkite, You were truly AWESOME in your field!

I call Shotgun

About time that old ba$tard went away. One less liberal bleeding heart to worry about. Why didn't OBAMA save him?

This is still a country of FREE SPEECH so all you lib-tards will have to put up with those of us who aren't brainwashed like you and say that we did NOT like the man.

Al Baby

Most of you are clueless about him listen children

I have to note the early Walter Cronkite: his WW2 reporting, the “You are There” series which was one of the best and stands out as a striking bit of quality to the trash that passes for tv entertainment today, his reporting on the Kennedy assassination, his unabashed pride in and promotion of the US space effort, and his convention and election nite reporting in the early 60s. But I also have to note the Cronkite of the past 40 years: open advocacy for US defeat in Vietnam, on the air all but endorsements of Demo political candidates, constant opinions passing for “news”, trashing of those with whom he disagreed. As a columnist, it would have been ok. As a journalist, it was reprehensible.

barb

Walter Cronkite was a one in a million true professional.

UGGGGHHH

HE WAS THE BEST JOURNALIST IN THE WORLD.

FOR ALL YOU HATERS , DROP DEAD.

Alex

The greatest newscaster of all time. R.I.P. "Uncle Walter".